Updating BIOS in Linux only environment

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Lilmothiit
Level 1
Level 1

Updating BIOS in Linux only environment

Post by Lilmothiit » Mon May 28, 2018 12:07 am

Is it necessary to update BIOS when using Linux? And how do you go about doing this in a linux only environment?

I really hope this is something I can do without too much trouble, as I've learned that my linux machine has two revisions of stability and freezing firmware updates.

https://global-download.acer.com/GDFile ... ER&SC=PA_6

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/s ... t/6885?b=1

I was thinking of using virtualbox to create a windows 10 'system' so I can flash a USB to update the BIOS, but I don't know if this is the right thing to do or not.

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Updating BIOS in Linux only environemnt

Post by Arch_Enemy » Mon May 28, 2018 12:32 am

Lilmothiit wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 12:07 am
Is it necessary to update BIOS when using Linux? And how do you go about doing this in a linux only environment?

I really hope this is something I can do without too much trouble, as I've learned that my linux machine has two revisions of stability and freezing firmware updates.

https://global-download.acer.com/GDFile ... ER&SC=PA_6

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/s ... t/6885?b=1

I was thinking of using virtualbox to create a windows 10 'system' so I can flash a USB to update the BIOS, but I don't know if this is the right thing to do or not.

Most companies allow you to download and burn to CD, or load it on a USB, which you boot from. Used to be good old floppies. They did serve a purpose!

You shouldn't really need to flash the BIOS just for Linux.
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

ajgringo619
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ajgringo619 » Mon May 28, 2018 12:34 am

I don't think that will work. The VirtualBox environment is completely sealed off from the real hardware - i.e., everything is virtualized. This is something I haven't thought of - BIOS upgrading from within Linux. I remember updating my Gigabyte board when I first got my machine (inherited with Windows 7), but there hasn't been any new updates since. I'm sure there must be ways to do this; tons of servers are built/installed with Linux from the beginning.
[Mint 19 XFCE, AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core w/16 GB RAM, 4.15.0-39-generic, GeForce GTX 960 w/Nvidia 410.73]

Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy » Mon May 28, 2018 12:37 am

Well, THAT bl :shock: ws! Check in your BIOS (by pressing F2 at startup) and see if there is a BIOS update option.

I guess Microsoft has the world by the b :shock: lls.
I have travelled 35629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition a ~28G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home.
When the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

ajgringo619
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ajgringo619 » Mon May 28, 2018 12:42 am

[Mint 19 XFCE, AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core w/16 GB RAM, 4.15.0-39-generic, GeForce GTX 960 w/Nvidia 410.73]

trytip
Level 8
Level 8

Post by trytip » Mon May 28, 2018 12:49 am

your bios is a simple .exe no setup i believe you may have better chance running it in hiren's minixp as admin. you can download it here https://www.deskdecode.com/hirens-boot-cd/ download link is after #How is Hiren’s Boot CD Used?

haven't tried this yest still downloading (beware cookies need enabled and there are a lot of tracking on this site so have ublock enabled) Sergei Strelec's WinPE for Windows 8-10 2018.03.28
Editor's Note:
Password for archive: strelec

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details ... winpe.html

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Mute Ant » Mon May 28, 2018 6:58 am

"...is it necessary to update BIOS when using Linux..." No. You might have to tell Linux not to use broken BIOS functions by adding 'compatibility' kernel options like noacpi or noapic.

Way of the Geek-Weasel: Lesson 7: The BIOS.
Thinks: "I have no idea why it's doing that."
Says: "Have you got the latest BIOS?"

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Mon May 28, 2018 1:20 pm

I once had to update a BIOS after replacing the totally trashed Windows install with Mint. It seems the original BIOS didn't support fan control, so it was added to a special version of Windows. I booted into the Hirens CD, and from there into the mini-XP, and was able to install an updated BIOS from there. Problem solved.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Black Swordsman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Black Swordsman » Mon May 28, 2018 2:20 pm

I had to update my BIOS recently to be able to run VB...all I did was

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
to find out my mobo information and then went onto youtube to figure out how to update the bios. After I did the bios update I was then able to activate the intel virtualization in the bios and run VB

Joe2Shoe
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Joe2Shoe » Mon May 28, 2018 2:32 pm

Most times I use Hiren's Boot CD to boot, then choose Windows XP as the OS, then flash the BIOS via USB flash drive/CD/DVD.
This works well in Linux-based PCs.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire

fabien85
Level 6
Level 6

Post by fabien85 » Mon May 28, 2018 5:29 pm

Asus computers have this function in the firmware interface called EZ Flash, so you just download the new firmware from their website, it's a zip file. You decompress it and get a binary file that you have to put on a FAT32 partition (either on the internal drive, e.g. the EFI partition, or on an external USB). Then you reboot into the firmware, launch EZ flash, point to the new firmware file, then the tool checks it's indeed for your computer (so that it doesnt brick it) and starts flashing. After about a minute it's finished, the computer reboots and boots your system normally. Easy peasy.

Lilmothiit
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Lilmothiit » Mon May 28, 2018 10:24 pm

@ajgringo619: You're right. Seems so obvious now that someone else has pointed it out. :lol:

@Arch_Enemy: Will do!

@everyone else: I will look into Hiren’s Boot CD is I am unable to update the BIOS any other way.

Thanks all!

sleeper12
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sleeper12 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:58 am

Joe2Shoe wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 2:32 pm
Most times I use Hiren's Boot CD to boot, then choose Windows XP as the OS, then flash the BIOS via USB flash drive/CD/DVD.
This works well in Linux-based PCs.
Haven't used windows in years, so a few questions. Should I transfer the BIOS file to desktop first or just run it directly from the flash drive? Ok to just open it or need to run as admin? Never flashed BIOS before, so hope to do it right. Thanks in advance.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:51 pm

sleeper12 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:58 am
Haven't used windows in years, so a few questions. Should I transfer the BIOS file to desktop first or just run it directly from the flash drive? Ok to just open it or need to run as admin? Never flashed BIOS before, so hope to do it right. Thanks in advance.
It's been a while, but I think what I did was boot to Hirens from USB or CD, plug in a USB stick containing the new BIOS, navigate to it with the Windows file manager, and double click it.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

sleeper12
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sleeper12 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:21 pm

Ok, when my new battery arrives, I'll give that a try. All I get right now is a notice telling me that ac & battery must be plugged in at same time. They are, so I'm guessing the battery is too weak to proceed.

sleeper12
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Updating BIOS in Linux only environment

Post by sleeper12 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:48 am

I finally got it to work with some changes. First, I had to transfer the BIOS file from the usb stick to the desktop. Then, I had to run cmd, enter 'cd desktop', the file name & '/forceit' at the end. That took me to the update & after a restart, it updated successfully. :D

Return to “Newbie Questions”