Firefox V.S. Chrome

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Tino2409
Level 1
Level 1

Firefox V.S. Chrome

Post by Tino2409 » Tue May 29, 2018 7:13 am

I am new to linux, installed it about 3 days ago.... I was wondering if anyone has google chrome for a web browser, and how they installed it, or am I better off getting used to Firefox? I am running linux mint 18.3

Moem
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Firefox V.S. Chrome

Post by Moem » Tue May 29, 2018 7:30 am

I don't use either, the browser world is a lot bigger than that... I use Waterfox, PaleMoon and Seamonkey, and if I need a Chrome-based browser I start up Chromium. it's very, very similar to Chrome.
Chromium can be installed from the Software Manager, which is the recommended way for a newcomer to install software. So that is what I'd advise you to do.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Pierre
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Pierre » Tue May 29, 2018 7:31 am

when you install LinuxMint - - you get Firefox as the Default,
but you can also install any other Web Browsers, that you wish to try. . .

to start with, just browse through the Featured Section of Software Manager,
and install one of those Web Browsers ,Eg: like Chrome / Chromium

then see what works for you - - play with Firefox as well, to see just what you like.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

wwfwng
Level 2
Level 2

Post by wwfwng » Tue May 29, 2018 8:44 am

I also stopped using ff. Like Moem, I also recommend Waterfox and Palemoon. They are basically what ff used to be and (imo) more user friendly. I also use Opera but I do not like it quite as well.

Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pjotr » Tue May 29, 2018 8:54 am

I use both Firefox and Google Chrome. Firefox for general use, Google Chrome for some specific purposes.

It never hurts to have a spare browser. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19 Tara
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Hoser Rob
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hoser Rob » Tue May 29, 2018 10:02 am

Chrome isn't in the repos but can be installe easily from a .deb file, the best place to get that is from Google's site itself. I always use the host site for those. Just right click the .deb in file manager and open it with gdebi, which will do the installation.

As mentioned there are other browsers. I'm using Vivaldi lately, which is webkit/chromium based. It's the only browser I've ever tried other than FF and chrome which I've used for more than a day or so.

KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 » Tue May 29, 2018 10:10 am

I use Firefox. I Like that they value privacy more than Google. Yet I keep Chromium (slightly less spying than regular Chrome) for those few times a web site will not work well on Firefox.

Termy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Termy » Tue May 29, 2018 2:48 pm

I think you're better off with Firefox. I trust that far, far more than I ever would Chrome. :roll: But, it's up to you, so whichever one suits you and meets your needs.
Here to help.

I'm LearnLinux (LL) on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfp-lN ... naEE6NtDSg
I'm also terminalforlife (TFL) on GitHub: https://github.com/terminalforlife

HaveaMint
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HaveaMint » Tue May 29, 2018 3:12 pm

I've been with FF and t-bird since one of those first windows 3 /95 or so I can't remember, so it was easy dragging my mess over to Mint.
edit: Oops it was netscape back then I think ( Just read up on both Netscape and Firefox and was I way off on both. Oh well I'm old)
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".

I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 » Tue May 29, 2018 5:27 pm

I still like Firefox, even though the recent Quantum update killed some extensions I had used while boosting load speed. Because I use and admire Google's online services without wanting to give evil Snoople my "real me" credit card identity, I have always kept Chrome / Chromium under a nonsense Gmail identity for the use of Google's websites along with some others. For some time, Google crippled use on Firefox of Google Docs and some other services I use, but that seems to be over now. This is a use-case decision for most people. As to performance, Chrome and Chromium are slower and more resource intensive than Firefox (or Opera, an excellent browser if you don't mind a China-owned company, which is not a small question.). One advantage Chrome has had over both Chromium and Firefox is built-in up to date Adobe Flash support - has to be installed separately for others. Websites are gradually phasing Flash out so its dicey performance on Linux browsers makes less difference these days.

I don't bother with the minor-league browsers, never finding one that isn't more trouble than it's worth
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Ubuntu / Mint user since 10.04 LTS. M17.3 Cinnamon (Dell 1520). Dual booting M17.3 XFCE / W7 (Acer netbook) and M18.3 Cinnamon / W7 (Lenovo desktop). Testing M19.x 64bit on live USB.

alexa9
Level 2
Level 2

Post by alexa9 » Wed May 30, 2018 7:27 pm

I prefer Chrome's layout. I download it in Firefox as soon as I install Mint. It runs fine. I am not too concerned about privacy and like Google services.
2 x Intel NUC / Dell Inspiron 3567 Laptop

Executioner
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Executioner » Wed May 30, 2018 10:38 pm

I've been using FF when it was still in beta with windows. I also have Chromium installed and go back and forth between each one. As others have said, use the Software Manager to install software that runs Mint 18.3. For replying to this thread, I'm using FF. My only complaint with FF: it does not remember window location on the screen. Chromium does. I never found a solution to it, so I don't know if it's a Mint issue or FF issue.

turtlebay
Level 5
Level 5

Post by turtlebay » Wed May 30, 2018 11:31 pm

Having run into 'forced Google everything' on an Android phone I now realise they are just an impersonation of Microsoft and are to be avoided at all costs.

I now run Waterfox (l just updated today )instead of F/fox and use the DuckDuckGo search engine.

vishgaur
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vishgaur » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:40 am

Tino2409 wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 7:13 am
I am new to linux, installed it about 3 days ago.... I was wondering if anyone has google chrome for a web browser, and how they installed it, or am I better off getting used to Firefox? I am running linux mint 18.3
Chrome on my phone is vpn friendly. firefox just refuses to browse anything if vpn is on. and vpn is necessary to block ads.
Moreover, chrome syncs must better.
Chrome starts up a bit slow on linux but works way faster than firefox.

Chrome also lets me open many blocked websites in my country like thepiratebay even without using any vpn.
Right now, I'm typing on firefox.
I use Chrome as default browser but I use Firefox for reading/writing/documentation work.
Writing doesn't earn me money, but it provides satisfaction that money can't provide.

Justin Time
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Justin Time » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:25 pm

I believe FireFix is adding so much to their browser, it's beginning to look worse than the homepage of Yahoo's website. ...which I'd never touch.

As another member suggested, you can go to the Software Manager and search for Chromium. I've been using it for over 2 years now and never experienced a problem.

You have to love the input from this Forum. There is plenty of advice from all areas of experience and knowledge. 8)

carum carvi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by carum carvi » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:49 pm

Recently research has shown that Firefox was the only browser that was protected against a new variant of the Spectre bug. All the other well known browsers were at risk. Firefox was NOT at risk. Although these new found spectre vulnerabilities do not pose an immediate danger, it is assuring to know that Firefox is the safest well known webbrowser. Especially since the original poster of this message was a newbie I would advice to just stick with the default browser. Differences between browsers are not that big that a newbie should have to install a different browser than the default one. (Although more experienced users might wish to do so anyway,because they have specific needs that cant be met with using Firefox.) Still being a newbie myself I love the simple way the settings work in Firefox. Compared to the windows browser that I had in my windows years, Firefox is a breeze.
Last edited by carum carvi on Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bob466
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bob466 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:01 pm

I have Chrome and Opera as well and go between the three of them...in this case two's company...three's a crowd does not apply. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never

AZgl1500
Level 9
Level 9
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:25 am

I have used FF since it first appeared, and have tested the other browsers as they show up, and discard them all.

I keep Chromium and Qupzilla loaded because sometimes, I need to access the same website as both the administrator using the Admin panel, and as a user to test their login problems....

FF, IMO, is the only decent browser that has a good bookmarking system, that is accessible totally from the keyboard.
a mouse is great for some things, but when I change websites, i just hit ALT-B P and that takes me direct to my Private Messages on my forum.... all of the bookmarks can be accessed direct from the kybd.

The Library in FF is a terrific tool, use it many times a day.

but, that is just me.... I don't have any issues with the Window, because I keep it Full Screen all the time.

I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:17 am

I don't have a commercial ("real me" aka credit card) relationship with Google and for years have siloed anything to do with the real me within Firefox, since Chrome and to lesser extent Chromium both siphon everything done on the browser into Greater Google data mine. But Chrome integrates really well with those really good Google services, and it is just as reliable rendering diverse sites as Firefox (something not all the little fringe browsers can claim - the fact is web designers build and test their products for the major browsers). As to performance, Firefox got the edge for speed with the new Quantum rebuilds, and Chrome/Chromium seems sluggish by comparison.

(The other really good full featured browser is Opera, based on the Chromium platform but faster with the advantage of a built-in VPN. But no "real me" use since a recent purchase by a Chinese company led to some slightly fishy changes.)
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Ubuntu / Mint user since 10.04 LTS. M17.3 Cinnamon (Dell 1520). Dual booting M17.3 XFCE / W7 (Acer netbook) and M18.3 Cinnamon / W7 (Lenovo desktop). Testing M19.x 64bit on live USB.

trytip
Level 9
Level 9

Post by trytip » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:28 am

if you think Firefox is less spying on you then Chrome you may be surprised when you open about:config in firefox addressbar and search for google
i use chrome but i do have it blocking all cookies with added exceptions for sites i need to login and quite a few privacy extensions. Vivaldi is the worst of the browsers they hide all the privacy settings and can't be tweaked for security.

Return to “Newbie Questions”