How to see which programs are using bandwidth (and minimize usage) while on cellular data plan

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
pepperminty
Level 5
Level 5

How to see which programs are using bandwidth (and minimize usage) while on cellular data plan

Post by pepperminty » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:42 pm

How can I determine which programs (whether they're those that I have run consciously or programs that are running in the background) are using up the internet bandwidth, and see how much bandwidth reach is using.

I ask because I plan to use my cell phone data to connect to the internet and I want to 'eliminate culprits or minimize usage.

wh7qq
Level 2
Level 2

Re: How to see which programs are using bandwidth (and minimize usage) while on cellular data plan

Post by wh7qq » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:01 pm

It probably is not the running programs that are gobbling BW, rather the extra stuff and nonsense that is being loaded into your browser all the time. I live within a 5G monthly data cap on my satellite plan by using "PiHole", "NoScript", "uBlock Origin" and by changing my Firefox preferences to prevent media autoplay (use "about:config" to toggle "media.autoplay.enabled" to false. I do not know if that is possible in Chrome/Chromium. I also put the computer into "suspend" mode when I am not using it. My wife and I use less than 100 MB every few days.

"PiHole" is a bit more difficult in that it requires extra hardware (the RPi) and you would have to install PiHole (free online). I use it on an older Raspberry Pi running headless. Power consumption is negligible. You then have to point all your clients at the PiHole DNS server. The full instructions are online at www.pi-hole.net

A big selection of linux tools to monitor BW use can be found at https://www.binarytides.com/linux-comma ... r-network/
Last edited by wh7qq on Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrisuk
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How to see which programs are using bandwidth (and minimize usage) while on cellular data plan

Post by chrisuk » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:15 pm

Have a look at Nethogs... it might already be installed on your system.
Chris

Manjaro MATE - MX Linux - LMDE MATE

pepperminty
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pepperminty » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:17 pm

thanks, wh7qq.
I use Firefox too (with ublock origin). I'll try to remember to use noscript.

the pi solution won't work for me. I don't use a router. My internet would be coming from my smartphone.

pepperminty
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pepperminty » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:51 pm

chrisuk wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:15 pm
Have a look at Nethogs... it might already be installed on your system.
Thanks for sharing. I like it. But is a program that shows per-program bandwidth usage for the past ____ (fill the blank with "10 minutes" or "hour" or some user-specified period)? Coz I can't keep looking at the terminal every second. :)

Return to “Newbie Questions”