[SOLVED] Can I change the desktop look including the Start Manager, Taskbar and Icons on it, to look like other distros?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Mint+Cola
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Can I change the desktop look including the Start Manager, Taskbar and Icons on it, to look like other distros?

Post by Mint+Cola »

It has been my question ever since, can I make my Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.3 Sylvia, look like Zorin OS or Manjaro or maybe Windows 10?
How about the cursor? Can I use my custom Windows 10 cursor in Linux Mint?
Last edited by Mint+Cola on Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still a Newbie
Nothing to see here, onto the next signature.

acerimusdux
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Can I change the desktop look including the Start Manager, Taskbar and Icons on it, to look like other distros?

Post by acerimusdux »

Most aspects of the appearance are highly customizable. But the details will depend on which desktop you are using. And to take things from other desktops, other distros, even Windows, generally requires converting things manually from whatever format is used by one desktop to a theme format used by another. You would really have to learn how to create your own themes first, and study the theme formats of your target desktop, and then it might be possible, since some of these things are just image files, to use them.

Far easier though, to just look at what theme options are already available in the software manager. In Cinnamon edition, for example, if I search for "cursor" I see at least a half dozen cursor themes available. And if I search for "icon-theme" I see dozens. And many of them are from other desktops, you can use icons that look like ubuntu, lxde, plasma, etc. IF you search "gtk2-engines" and "gtk3-engines" you will see a lot of themes for gtk widgets which will change the looks of a lot of applications. If you install some of these things, they will increase the options available in System Settings under Themes, for icons, controls, and mouse pointer.

And of course you can also add complete desktop themes for your desktop. In Cinnamon, that's done with the Add/Remove button under themes.

Also, if you want some Windows stuff, there is a program called ttf-mscorefonts-installer which will install microsoft fonts, and another program called gextractwinicons which will find and copy icons in microsoft executables (which you can then use when a program allows you to set an icon for something).

inRAIDius
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Can I change the desktop look including the Start Manager, Taskbar and Icons on it, to look like other distros?

Post by inRAIDius »

Sure, you can customize your desktop. There are plenty of desktop themes, wallpapers, icon packs, and cursor themes available.
By Start Manager, I'm assuming you mean Cinnamon menu? Cinnamon menu itself isn't very customizable. There isn't an editor for it. Theme packs will mod icon color and appearance but if you want to easily move directories around or create custom ones then you're out of luck. Beside it looks pretty good as is imho.
If you want an easily customizable desktop including menu, you should try Xfce.

Here's an example of a nice looking theme, icon and cursor pack if you like the nice Arch-like blue with a dark theme. Kinda like Win I think, I don't know, I don't use Win. Check it out

Download and install Arc-dark theme
Download and install Arc-icons
You can find the ppas here: https://www.noobslab.com/2017/01/arc-th ... d-arc.html
Download and install Oxygen-blue Cursor theme found on opendesktop website

Navigate to opendesktop.org. In the search box, keyboard in 'cinnamon' and choose from the filters provided. There are a ton of themes to choose from. You might find a Win10 theme there.
Hope this helps.
Have fun! :)
A little research goes a long way...

majpooper
Level 6
Level 6

Post by majpooper »

There are actually a couple of YouTube videos that walk you through how to make the LM desktop environment look like Windows 10 - very scary. And I have actually have seen where someone made LM look like a Mac.

I have thought about doing this to make folks who are coming over to LM from Windows or Mac feel more at ease with a new OS but I am too much of a LM snob to ever do such a degrading thing to my PC or laptop. /sarc/

Mattyboy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Mattyboy »

majpooper wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:35 pm
but I am too much of a LM snob to ever do such a degrading thing to my PC or laptop. /sarc/
:lol:

There is a Windows 10 Theme available here on cinnamon-spices and a whole bunch of other 'customizing' options.
https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/t ... Windows-10

Note: they are for the cinnamon desktop.

Mint+Cola
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mint+Cola »

Thank you guys! Despite the bugs I'm getting, I might at least just enjoy theming my Linux Mint Cinnamon. :D
Still a Newbie
Nothing to see here, onto the next signature.

Return to “Newbie Questions”