Linux Mint 18.3 meltdown on laptop

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
purpletree
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint 18.3 meltdown on laptop

Post by purpletree » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:48 pm

I'm using a Dell XPS 9550 with Linux Mint 18.3 (KDE Edition) and I can't log in to my machine. It's worked fine for months.
When I try and login I get "Your session only lasted less than 10 seconds. If you have not logged out yourself, this could mean that there is some installation problem or that you may be out of diskspace. Try logging in with one of the failsafe sessions to see if you can fix this problem." It also says "View Details (~/.xsession-errors file)". When I tick the check box it says this:
"initctl: Unable to connect to Upstart: Failed to connect to socket /com/ubuntu/upstart: Connection refused mdm[1523]: GLib-CRITICAL: g_key_file_free: assertion 'key_file !=NULL' failed"

Also, the login screen is different than how I had it set up. Should I reinstall the OS? I've got a USB ready.
And when I use my password it doesn't reject it, the screen blanks out for a moment then wants me to log in again. An endless circle of logging in.

When I boot from the USB (Linux Mint 18.3) the computer seems to work fine.
In looking through the BIOS menu there's not an option to boot into any other mood. (I think "Advanced Mode" is a thing?)

acerimusdux
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Mint 18.3 meltdown on laptop

Post by acerimusdux » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:19 pm

Boot your machine. At the loging screen, instead of logging in, CTL-ALT-F1 to get to a console. Login at the text console.

If you are able to login there, then run

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install --reinstall cinnamon
sudo service mdm restart
The CTL-ALT-F7 to get back to the graphical login and try again.

thx-1138
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thx-1138 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:30 pm

acerimusdux, he / she is using KDE, not Cinnamon...and he / she is on 18.3 (aka, systemd...)

The logic is correct though: CTRL+ALT+F1 for console, log-in, sudo systemctl restart mdm, then CTRL+ALT+F7, and see what happens...
At least that's what I'd try for a start...

Edit: In case you had somehow neglected updating this system for quite some time, also check if you are somehow affected by this as well...
viewtopic.php?f=143&t=266478

acerimusdux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by acerimusdux » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:56 pm

Ah yes.

Per the above, try:

apt remove virtualbox-guest*
and if that doesn't work:

apt install --reinstall plasma-desktop
sudo systemctl restart mdm
At least I think that's right, but I don't really know the KDE edition.

Return to “Newbie Questions”