<SOLVED> Mint installer does not recognize hard drive

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
OmegaD
Level 1
Level 1

<SOLVED> Mint installer does not recognize hard drive

Post by OmegaD » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:42 pm

I just bought a brand new Lenovo laptop. The laptop has a 256GB internal SSD and comes pre-loaded with Windows 10 Pro. Everything is in good, working condition. Here are the laptop specs: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... A0S7AM8493

I want to install Linux Mint 18.3 alongside Win 10. I do not have Win 10 installation disks, so I am following this tutorial: https://www.tecmint.com/install-linux-m ... uefi-mode/.

Here is what I am able to do (before running into problems):
  1. Make room for a Mint partition by shrinking the Windows disk space allocation from within Win 10 (I freed up 100GB of unallocated space)
  2. "Burn" the Mint .iso to a USB
  3. Boot into Mint from the USB
  4. Run programs in Mint using the USB (e.g. connect to network, start GParted, start "Install Linux Mint")
However, I am NOT able to install Mint onto the laptop hard drive (the 256GB SSD) because, in both the Mint installer and in GParted, the hard drive is not detected. (Only the USB appears in the list of drives.) Since I want to install Linux on the laptop hard drive, I am stuck.

How can I get the Mint installer to recognize the laptop's hard drive so I can install Mint on my laptop?

x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x=x

Side note #1: I read somewhere that BIOS vs "UEFI" can cause problems. I am not sure of the difference, but when I hit F2 during boot-up, a screen comes up that looks to me like a BIOS screen and it says "BIOS Version: 6TCN29WW". I assumed that meant I had BIOS and not UEFI... but then I noticed one of the Win 10 partitions was devoted to EFI and in the "BIOS"(?) screen under "Boot" it says "Boot Mode: UEFI." (I am not able to change this, as far as I can tell.) However, the tutorial I am using seems to suggest that the BIOS-UEFI problem is that a BIOS-configured USB "won't boot" if a UEFI configuration is required. Since my USB booted I assume that this was not the cause of my problem-? (Also my USB has an "EFI System Partition" on it so apparently it's set up for UEFI anyway but idk.)

Side note #2: I read somewhere that you can only have four primary partitions on your hard drive, so I checked in Win 10 and the following volumes were present:
  • EFI System Partition
  • Recovery Partition
  • Windows (primary partition)
  • LENOVO (primary partition)
All of the partitions appeared to be primary partitions and the fourth one was empty so I deleted it just to make sure that wasn't going to be a problem. When I ran back through the Mint installation nothing had changed though; the Mint installer still did not detect the drive.

Side note #3: I read somewhere that you have to turn off "Fast Boot" in Win 10 and "Secure Boot" in the BIOS and maybe create a BIOS security password to unlock more options, so I did all of that. No change; Mint installer still does not recognize the hard drive.
Last edited by OmegaD on Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pbear
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Mint installer does not recognize hard drive

Post by pbear » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:02 pm

A few thoughts.

1. Yes, you have UEFI. Also, you have to disable secure boot and fast start (the latter is a Control Panel setting).

2. Rather than a third party tutorial, use the official Mint Installation Guide. I'm not going to wade through your tutorial to error-check it, but the last time someone cited a TecMint guide (for LM17), it made several crucial errors.

3. Before you do anything Linux, you should make sure you have the ability to restore the Windows system. This includes making the installation disks which are no longer shipped with, making a disk image backup and creating a system repair disk.

4. There's no rush in all this. Probably make more sense, in fact, to wait until LM19 goes final and install that.

There's more to know, but that should get you started. Doubtless others will have suggestions also.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:14 am

@ OmegaD, .......
OmegaD wrote:.
Please check the BIOS Setup whether the internal hard-drive is in RAID mode. ... https://triplescomputers.com/blog/uncat ... operation/ (solution-switch-windows-10-from-raidide-to-ahci-operation without the need to reinstall Win 10 in AHCI disk mode - then install Linux alongside Win 10)
https://www.dell.com/community/Linux-De ... 278/page/2
Last edited by michael louwe on Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:12 am

pbear wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:02 pm

2. Rather than a third party tutorial, use the official Mint Installation Guide. I'm not going to wade through your tutorial to error-check it, but the last time someone cited a TecMint guide (for LM17), it made several crucial errors.
Actually Do Read This Tutorial:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126
it's written for win-8x, but does apply to win-10 as well.

and if you have any, further questions, then do ask them first,
- before you do anything else.
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

OmegaD
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OmegaD » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:25 pm

pbear wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:02 pm
3. Before you do anything Linux, you should make sure you have the ability to restore the Windows system. This includes making the installation disks which are no longer shipped with, making a disk image backup and creating a system repair disk.
I know this isn't a Windows forum, but can you help me understand what all you're recommending here?
  1. Installation disks--these can be downloaded from Microsoft, right? So I can just make them later on another system if I need them? All I would potentially need is my product key, which I can extract using Belarc Advisor. Am I correct?
  2. Disk image backup--do you just mean that I need to back up my files? I don't have any files yet, so can I skip this step?
  3. System repair disk--do you mean that I need to make a recovery drive? My system appears to have a recovery image stored on a dedicated recovery partition. Can I just back that up on Dropbox and call it good? (Then, if it turns out that I do end up needing a recovery drive I could just copy the folder from Dropbox onto a drive at that point.)
(Pardon my ignorance; I only use Windows when I have to. I want to make sure I cover all my bases as you advised but I wasn't sure exactly what I needed to create.) Thanks for your help.

OmegaD
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OmegaD » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:42 pm

michael louwe wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:14 am
Please check the BIOS Setup whether the internal hard-drive is in RAID mode.
I don't think the hard drive is in RAID mode. (Note: I only have one hard drive in my laptop, and it's a SDD that is working fine. I thought RAID was a mode for dual-hard drive configurations?)

In the BIOS, "Storage Controller Mode" is set to "RST mode," which "Enables Intel RST and System Acceleration with Intel Optane Technology."

The only other option is "AHCI mode." I thought I'd give that a try, but when I select it, a big red warning box comes up that says "Setup Warning: All existing data stored on the drives will be erased when resetting Controller mode. Do you want to proceed?" (Sounded risky so I said "No.")

Next steps?

OmegaD
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OmegaD » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:40 pm

This guy says enabling safeboot first will prevent any data loss when switching to AHCI: https://askubuntu.com/questions/946480/ ... o-yoga-720.

Is that correct?

thx-1138
Level 7
Level 7

Post by thx-1138 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:48 pm

...michael is correct - read again very carefully the instructions that he linked to - and as already said, do not rush...

Edit: ...a similar case...(only the USB with Linux itself being recognized):
https://medium.com/@petragospodneti/win ... 994cbe16c0

pbear
Level 7
Level 7

Post by pbear » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:53 pm

OmegaD wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:25 pm
I know this isn't a Windows forum, but can you help me understand what all you're recommending here?
No, what you're doing is arguing why you shouldn't have to do any additional work. Okay, don't. Good luck.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

OmegaD
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OmegaD » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:51 pm

pbear wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:53 pm
OmegaD wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:25 pm
No, what you're doing is arguing why you shouldn't have to do any additional work. Okay, don't. Good luck.
I wasn't sure what you meant by each of those things. I don't do this every day. (FWIW I did create a recovery drive in an attempt to follow your advice. I just wasn't sure what all I needed to do.)

OmegaD
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OmegaD » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:58 pm

I got it working!

Basically, the problem was that in the BIOS, the "Storage Controller Mode" was set to "RST," which is a fake RAID mode-? Anyway, I had to set it to AHCI mode--but in order to do so (without accidentally deleting Win 10), had to enable "safeboot" first. Here's the full procedure:
  1. Create a Win 10 recovery drive (using Win 10 utility) just in case something goes wrong
  2. Defrag & shrink the Windows volume to make room for Linux
  3. Disable "fast startup" (r-click start --> power options --> additional --> choose buttons --> change settings --> uncheck "fast startup")
  4. Disable "Secure Boot" in the BIOS
  5. Enable "safeboot" by running "bcdedit /set {currennt} safeboot minimal" in the Win 10 command prompt as administrator
  6. Change "Storage Controller Mode" to "AHCI" in the BIOS
  7. Disable "safeboot" by running "bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot" in the Win 10 command prompt as administrator
  8. Download, checksum, and burn Linux Mint .iso to USB
  9. Boot from USB
  10. Install Linux Mint using the tutorial: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126
Thanks for the help, everyone!

thankyoubro
Level 1
Level 1

Re: <SOLVED> Mint installer does not recognize hard drive

Post by thankyoubro » Thu May 09, 2019 1:20 am

I created an account just to say this:
Thank you sooo much. I have struggled with this for two whole damn days.
Hope you live a long healthy life.

plopezuma
Level 1
Level 1

Re: <SOLVED> Mint installer does not recognize hard drive

Post by plopezuma » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:30 pm

OmegaD,

You are the man!

The steps below did work for me. I am using a brand new Lenovo Ideapad S340, 256g ssd, 8g RAM. The disk was set to RST mode in the BIOS, I changed it to AHCI and it was recognized by Linux without any issues. The only gotcha I wanted to report is a typo in the instructions below. I personally don't like to mess up with windows using command line so I found a way to enable/disable safeboot using msconfig.exe, if you are curious you may want to check this link: https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways- ... windows-10

plopezuma's edit:

1. Create a Win 10 recovery drive (using Win 10 utility) just in case something goes wrong
2. Defrag & shrink the Windows volume to make room for Linux
3. Disable "fast startup" (r-click start --> power options --> additional --> choose buttons --> change settings --> uncheck "fast startup")
4. Disable "Secure Boot" in the BIOS
5. Enable "safeboot" (see link above - I used msconfig.exe successfully)
6. Change "Storage Controller Mode" to "AHCI" in the BIOS
7. Disable "safeboot" (see link above - I used msconfig.exe successfully)
8. Download, checksum, and burn Linux Mint .iso to USB (I used rufus portable edition, very reliable and easy to use)
9. Boot from USB
10. Install Linux Mint using the tutorial: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126

Thanks! :)

Return to “Newbie Questions”