Screen Resolution of XFCE

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kansasnoob

Re: Screen Resolution of XFCE

Post by kansasnoob »

I'm totally at a loss here. You say Xfce, but nothing else.

Is this Mint Xfce? Mint 6? Mint 5?

Maybe post the output from terminal of:

Code: Select all

cat /etc/issue
And also:

lspci | grep VGA 
And:

xrandr
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
joeham

Post by joeham »

Check the xorg.conf and see if monitor is detected. Check to see if the resolutions you want are avaiable in the screens section.

You KVM switch might be preventing the monitor from being detected.

The fact that xrandr reports the max resolution available is 800x600 is not a good sign. xrandr is part of xorg and in my experience, if it does not report a resolution, it is very unlikely your will be able to get it.

I have had problems when I install with one type of display attached, then switch after install. I have seen confused xorg.confs because of it. So thats what makes me think the KVM switch does not allow the display config info to get to the PC for display detection.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

It's your KVM Switch that stops the detection, not the other way around.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

I went and purchased better cabling for my DLink KVM, the big thick white cabling that came with it caused the same problem as you are experiencing. With the new, thin black ones (sorry don't know the brand), I now get full resolution on all of my pc's through the kvm.

regards, Richard

Return to “Beginner Questions”