Browser recommendation, please

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Howard_P
Level 4
Level 4

Browser recommendation, please

Post by Howard_P »

Hi- I've been using Firefox for years without any complaints. Lately it has been much slower so I tried Opera. Unfortunately it leaves me unable to use certain web pages because they are blocked by some sort of requirement to agree to data usage, which don't seem to work properly or are in languages other than English that I don't understand. I don't have this problem with Firefox. Upon cruising the search function in this forum I see lots of complaints about Firefox and privacy these days. Privacy is a concern for me, as is reasonable speed. I wonder what browser people recommend for someone who is not interested in, and not competent with, the technical aspects of computers/computing. Fast and simple is good for me. Thank you.

Here is my system info:
System: Host: howard-Inspiron-11-3147 Kernel: 4.4.0-98-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.4)
Desktop: Xfce 4.12.2 (Gtk 2.24.23) dm: mdm
Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Howard
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Browser recommendation, please

Post by Schultz »

I recommend Pale Moon and Basilisk.
turtlebay

Post by turtlebay »

I switched to Waterfox (only available for 64bit systems) when Firefox introduced their Quantum versions. Think it's available in the repos.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Howard_P,

There are a few excellent browsers and Opera is one of them. If you are using the Opera built-in VPN option, then that may be what your problem is with certain web pages, just turn it off. Their built-in browser VPN seems buggy to me lately.

I have a few browsers installed. My current favorite is "Slimjet" because of all the cool features and because it is Chrome/Chromium-based it can use all the Google Chrome extensions and add-ons. For 32-bit computer users, Chrome stopped making 32-bit versions, but Slimjet still is for now. They have excellent options for turbo download, ad blocking, auto image resizer for uploading to forums and image hosting websites, video downloader, language translation, etc...

Slimjet - Fastest web browser that blocks all ads and protects your privacy
https://www.slimjet.com/

I think it is a very good idea to have more than one browser installed for various good reasons.
- One good reason is that it is always possible that a browser update or maybe an extension add-on causes some sort of problem(s) which most browser developers are usually very quick to fix (a day or two or less), so you just use another browser.

- Some people prefer to have a browser specifically for certain activities, like online banking, paying bills, shopping where they have more security enabled, or using private windows (incognito) settings. This can be done without using a different browser as well. Some people want to use a Tor browser for accessing the "dark web" tor/onion websites and for anonymity. For security and anonymity, I recommend changing your local ISP connection's default DNS server settings and using a VPN provider's server to connect to the Internet. There are also browser VPN add-ons like "Hoxx" and "DotVPN", etc...

- Some people have more than one person using their system, and letting another user use their own browser is a good option, although most browsers support user profiles for this, and Linux Mint has user accounts as well (requires logging out though and logging back in with that username).

- For whatever reasons, some browsers will not view or play certain websites and their content when another browser will? So, if I have a problem viewing a website or playing its multi-media content in one browser, then I will try another browser.

-- Tip: Some websites require using a certain operating system and or browser which you can get around that limitation by installing and using a "user agent" switcher browser add-on extension which basically allows you to control what a website thinks you are using; for example: You can tell the "user agent" to tell websites you are using MS Windows and the Edge or IE browser when in fact you are using Firefox and Linux Mint.

Sample of a good User-Agent Switcher - MyBrowserAddon for most browsers
https://mybrowseraddon.com/useragent-switcher.html

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ugly »

Vivaldi
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I'll vote for Vivaldi too. I've tried all the other ones mentioned above but Vivaldi is the only one I didn't just use for a day or so and then uninstall. I works like chromium (it's webkit based) but it's even faster and I quite like the UI. I don't use any other ones now.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:19 am I'll vote for Vivaldi too. I've tried all the other ones mentioned above but Vivaldi is the only one I didn't just use for a day or so and then uninstall. I works like chromium (it's webkit based) but it's even faster and I quite like the UI. I don't use any other ones now.
likewise - - Vivaldi - - found it's place on my machine, and wasn't eventually un-installed.
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

I recommend Firefox 52 ESR or Chrome 64bit(Chrome 32bit is not available for Linux).

Some users avoid Chrome because of web-tracking by Google. To me, such tracking by Google is mainly to garner targeted ad revenue in exchange for free use of the browser, = is a fair-trade and not harmful. This business model is similar to that found in free-to-air TV companies like ABC, CBS and FOX.
....... To minimize the effects of tracking by Chrome, I can enable private browsing and delete/clear my browsing data after each session = incognito browsing and the tracking will not persist through reboots.
shawnhcorey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shawnhcorey »

I recommend the one you like best. The thing about FOSS is that you can download and try them all. Yeah, it's not an instant answer but it is the most satisfying one.
Don't stop where the ink does.
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

Firefox should be running fairly speedily since the update to "Quantum", though that disabled some very good extensions. FF is my default, used with a one-click cache cleaner that speeds it up when clogged. I also use an ad blocker.

Chrome / Chromium: I keep a nonsense Gmail identity and have never given Google any "real me" credit card identity, but do use several fine Google services on that basis. Google Docs, Drive, maps, translate, Keep, etc. normally work better on Chrome / Chromium and I like the integration with an Android phone and tablet - which may be a serious consideration. (At times Google's web sites have been positively poor on Firefox) Chrome / Chromium have recently become slower and more resource demanding than Firefox. Unlike Chromium or Firefox, the official Google Chrome has current Adobe Flash built-in, which matters less and less these days as websites drop Flash. If Flash is needed on sites you use, it's worth noting that it can be installed but is dicey in other browsers.

Opera is in my experience a very good, sophisticated browser but a) I don't need a third one, and b) it was recently bought out by a China state-supported company so it's a bit suspect in regards to user privacy.

It's been several years since I've looked at alternative browsers, and then found them all more trouble than they're worth. To each his / her own.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
ugly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ugly »

Hoser Rob wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:19 am I'll vote for Vivaldi too. I've tried all the other ones mentioned above but Vivaldi is the only one I didn't just use for a day or so and then uninstall. I works like chromium (it's webkit based) but it's even faster and I quite like the UI. I don't use any other ones now.
And to add to that, their owner has spoken out at length about the importance of privacy and against data collection.
Howard_P
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Howard_P »

Hi- Thanks to everyone. I'd like to try Vivaldi, but it doesn't seem to show up in Synaptic nor Software Manager. I suspect "operator error", but I could use some help with this. Thanks -Howard
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

From link provided below, pick the 1st one if you are running 64 bit system as most of us probably are...in any event, even if your running a 32 bit system, make sure your picking a ".deb" installation for your linux mint...DAMIEN

ps:...this is the english language version

https://vivaldi.com/download/?lang=en_US
O-rion
Level 3
Level 3

Post by O-rion »

Palemoon
Linux Mint 20.1 MATE
wwfwng
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wwfwng »

Palemoon and Waterfox. I also use Opera but I prefer Mozilla based browsers. However, as one previous poster suggested, the best browser is the (secure) one you like the best. In my opinion, Palemoon and Waterfox are basically Firefox without the new headaches.
Howard_P
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Howard_P »

I decided to try Waterfox, but I'm unable to properly install it. When I go to the Waterfox website to download it I get a compressed file that gets saved to my "Downloads" file. If I extract it I get a bunch of files with no obvious one to click on to start Waterfox. I presume that I'm doing something wrong. Any help is appreciated. Thanks -Howard
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Scroll down in the extracted folder and click on the file called "waterfox"
Howard_P
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Howard_P »

When I do that I get a message that says "No application available to open Waterfox". I think that, for now, I'll bag it and stay with Firefox. Thanks everyone for your help. -Howard
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Howard_P,

Although I like the new Firefox, I do miss some of the older add-ons.

"Waterfox" works well and can use some of the older add-ons. As people were trying to tell you, just download their archive file, right-click extract here which creates a "waterfox" folder, then you just double-click the "waterfox" executable program file in their folder; you may have to set permissions to run it one time by right-clicking this file, properties, permissions tab, check executable, apply, ok. You can easily create a desktop shortcut by right-clicking desktop choosing new shortcut launcher and to the right of command box browse to their file. I usually move application folders from my Downloads folder to my home folder or an "apps" folder underneath my home folder before creating shortcuts or running for the first time. I also noticed that when I click Help->About, it updates itself.

Hope this helps ...
Waterfox1.jpg
Waterfox2.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

I use Chromium. It can be found in the Software Manager.

It's the open source equivalent to Google Chrome.

EDIT: I also use Chrome.
Last edited by JerryF on Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Beginner Questions”