Installing Linux [Solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
acs42

Installing Linux [Solved]

Post by acs42 »

So far I've spent about 30 hours getting nowhere with this installation.

I have a windows 10 desktop with buckets of HDD and RAM. I want to install Linux alongside Windows. I have downloaded to C:\ISO\
linuxmint-18.3-cinnamon-64bit.iso
sha256sum.txt
sha256sum.txt.gpg

In the terminal window is:
C:\ISO>sha256sum -b *.iso
'sha256sum' is not recognised as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Fair enough, but I just followed the instructions in https://linuxmint.com/verify.php. What bit did I get wrong?

I am losing the will to live.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Installing Linux

Post by Spearmint2 »

seems you are trying to run a linux command in windows. If you want to check the sha sum, then easiest is to boot to the DVD you "burn image" to and run the command from it in terminal.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ralplpcr »

The instructions you followed are for verifying the checksum from within a linux terminal - - not Windows.

If you want to verify the checksum within Windows, please see the advice on this thread.
turtlebay

Post by turtlebay »

You have to burn the ISO file as an image to a DVD or USB stick and then boot your computer from it. You cannot run Linux from within Windows they are completely different operating systems. When you boot from the image, it runs as a live system on your computer without affecting anything on the hard drive. Once it is running, have a play with it, you cannot harm anything on the hard drive yet. If you like it and want to continue, double click the Install button on the desktop and follow the on screen instructions. You can install it along side Windows so you can have either Linux or Windows when you boot (the default will be Linux) or you can allow Linux to replace Windows entirely if you desire.

Think of Linux as a friend who is giving you back full control of YOUR computer. :D

I made the complete switch away from Windows in the early days of Win 7 and wouldn't even dream of going back to Windows now, I'd rather shoot myself!
Seadreamer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Seadreamer »

Let me jump in here and say that you need a separate partition to put Linux in. If you boot into Linux from a DVD or USB you can use GPARTED to create a Linux partition using a EXT4 file system. Otherwise a Windows partitioner can create unallocated space that can be used.

I think the installer will also do it for you but I have never done it anyway other than manually.
Homebrew Intel i7/13700 64gb RAM
LinuxMint 21.2 Cinnamon
Win 10 for games
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Seadreamer wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:54 pm Let me jump in here and say that you need a separate partition to put Linux in. If you boot into Linux from a DVD or USB you can use GPARTED to create a Linux partition using a EXT4 file system. Otherwise a Windows partitioner can create unallocated space that can be used.
There's no benefit in confusing the poster more. The Mint installer will provide the necessary guidance.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Seadreamer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Seadreamer »

"Roger" that, I don't like automated things if I can maintain control. I learn by fixing my misteaks. :D
Homebrew Intel i7/13700 64gb RAM
LinuxMint 21.2 Cinnamon
Win 10 for games
acs42

Post by acs42 »

Thank you all for your help. It will take me a while to go through it all, but I look forward to switching to Linux.

One problem I have had is that, having downloaded the ISO file and used Rufus to create a bootable usb stick, I cannot boot successfully from the stick; what I get is a long display of DOS-type lines which tells me nothing. Then the PC freezes. That is why I decided I should persevere with the ISO validation process, which I can’t do within a Linux terminal because I can’t install Linux.
acs42

Post by acs42 »

Following my last post, I had also burned the ISO file to a DVD, but that failed to boot Linux as well. Before anyone remarks on it, I do set the BIOS boot order appropriately before attempting to use either USB or DVD.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Make sure that the Secure Boot is turned off in the BIOS.

Turn off "fast startup" from Within windows as well (Control Panel > Power Options: click "Choose what the power buttons do" from the column on the left. Scroll down to "Shutdown settings" and un-check the box for "Turn on fast startup". Click the "Save changes" button to apply the changes)
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

acs42 wrote:.
What is your computer make and model.?

Certain OEM Win 8.x/10 computers, eg Acer, Asus and HP, have an obstructive or pro-M$ UEFI-BIOS setting for "select an UEFI file as trusted for executing",(= Linux cannot boot). For the fix, please refer to ...
https://community.acer.com/en/discussio ... 15-51-78c6
https://itsfoss.com/no-bootable-device-found-ubuntu/
viewtopic.php?t=236560

https://triplescomputers.com/blog/uncat ... operation/ (solution-switch-windows-10-from-raidide-to-ahci-operation without the need to reinstall Win 10 in AHCI disk mode - then install Linux alongside Win 10)
https://www.dell.com/community/Linux-De ... 278/page/2
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

catweazel wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:58 pm
Seadreamer wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:54 pm Let me jump in here and say that you need a separate partition to put Linux in. If you boot into Linux from a DVD or USB you can use GPARTED to create a Linux partition using a EXT4 file system. Otherwise a Windows partitioner can create unallocated space that can be used.
There's no benefit in confusing the poster more. The Mint installer will provide the necessary guidance.
Agreed. I can't understand why so many Linux Mint novices make installation so much harder than necessary. I've installed many times and never had to partition manually like that.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
acs42

Post by acs42 »

I eventually discovered that Etcher corrupts my USB sticks. Having repaired them, I used LiLi USB Creator, which didn't corrupt them. However, booting the PC from the stick still produces screenfuls of DOS statements before freezing.

I am now preparing bootable DVD, but I bet it doesn't work.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

michael louwe wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:05 am What is your computer make and model.?
OP: Answering this question might make it possible for someone to offer help.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
acs42

Post by acs42 »

This is my PC

3.40 gigahertz Intel Core i7-2600
No memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Hyper-threaded (8 total) Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8Z68-V LX Rev X.0x
Serial Number: MT701CK45605255
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0703 10/21/2011
Drives Memory Modules c,d
2999.61 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
2232.65 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
ASUS P8Z68-vLX M/B
Win 10

I've tried the USB stick and a bootable DVD. Neither will boot successfully. I've been through the instructions umpteen times.
I have Office 365 on subscription which allows me unlimited Cloud storage via OneDrive. I assume that I would lose that if I switched 100% to Linux, so I may have to back everything up, then wipe the disks and start from scratch with just Linux. I bet that would work (painfully).
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

If you have an Nvidia/AMD graphics card = screen-freezing problem = the kernel boot parameters need to be edited ... viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122257
https://linuxmint.com/rel_sonya_cinnamon.php
For Nvidia, if still unsuccessful, try modprobe.blacklist=nouveau

Have you disable Fast Startup in Win 10(>Control Panel >Power options).?

You have a 2011 Legacy BIOS computer which normally uses MBR/ms-dos disk mode, ie avoid using GPT disk mode. MBR/ms-dos disks are limited to 4 Primary partitions and 2TB in size. You have a 3TB hard-disk which may be a problem for installing(= need to use GParted to first change the hard-disk from 512 bytes to 4096 bytes sector size, in order to bypass the 2TB limit).
Last edited by michael louwe on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
acs42

Post by acs42 »

l those who have offered help, but it's getting so complicated that I will wait until I can afford a new PC with Linux on board.
oldgranola
Level 5
Level 5

Post by oldgranola »

michael louwe wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:44 am
If you have an Nvidia/AMD graphics card = screen-freezing problem = the kernel boot parameters need to be edited ... viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122257
https://linuxmint.com/rel_sonya_cinnamon.php
For Nvidia, if still unsuccessful, try modprobe.blacklist=nouveau

Have you disable Fast Startup in Win 10(>Control Panel >Power options).?

You have a 2011 Legacy BIOS computer which normally uses MBR/ms-dos disk mode, ie avoid using GPT disk mode. MBR/ms-dos disks are limited to 4 Primary partitions and 2TB in size. You have a 3TB hard-disk which may be a problem for installing(= need to use GParted to first change the hard-disk from 512 bytes to 4096 bytes sector size, in order to bypass the 2TB limit).
This is correct. I've installed on both old, ancient and new. If you can't even boot from a live usb:
1. USB media is bad
2. incorrect OS version ie 32bit vs 64
3. wrong bios setup
4. wrong kernel for your hardware. this is rare now.
Looking at your motherboard and cpu make sure you downloaded the 64 bit os, turn off ez mode which I bet also has to do with 'secure boot', turn that off in bios. Make sure your bios graphics is set for which card or integrated graphics you have. Make sure your boot order has usb or cd up front. Paying attention to that, I've never not been able to boot.
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob
acs42

Re: Installing Linux [Unsolvable]

Post by acs42 »

Micael louwe & oldgranola

Points noted. At present I am reorganising my PC to get rid of unwanted software and to reduce the disk storage (it has three HDDs at present). The final move will be to wipe everything, after backing up, then to reinstall Windows and Office from scratch. I should then be in a good position to install Linux and eventually migrate away from Microsoft completely, using Libre Office in place of Office 365. Time is one problem, synching across devices is another, but I'll jump off that bridge when I get to it.

Many thanks.

Alan
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Installing Linux [Unsolvable]

Post by Pierre »

Hi Alan - - if you do go with a re-install of both Windows & Office,
then do pre-prepare the appropriate HDDs partition layout - before you do any actual re-installations.

this will make things that much easier to achieve, when doing this scenario.
- you can do this from either the Windows System or from the LinuxMint System.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Beginner Questions”