[solved][very solved]Is testing an OS in virtualbox realistic for compatitility?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
oldgranola
Level 3
Level 3

[solved][very solved]Is testing an OS in virtualbox realistic for compatitility?

Post by oldgranola » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:15 pm

Very basic question that I don't quite find the answer. Having fun firing up virtualbox on LM17 cinnamon and playing with beta LM19 and MX-17 (really liking that one!). They work albeit a tad slowly probably due to needing to allocate more resources to the VM. Other than that, is testing an OS in a VM a realistic test of the OS's compatibility with my hardware? Doesn't the VM provide functional environment for the guest OS? If the particular kernel the guest OS would use is problematic for the host machine if installed and run by itself, would I see that while running it as guest in a VM? Would a live USB test be more 'realistic'? I have read of instances where things work from a live usb but not so well once locally installed

Thanks!
Last edited by oldgranola on Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Is testing an OS in virtualbox realistic for compatitility?

Post by MintBean » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:23 pm

You can't test hardware compatibility in a VM.

Mattyboy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Mattyboy » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:17 pm

If everything works after booting from a live DVD/USB then the chances are that its going to work just fine after you've installed, be sure you check all your devices and wifi before proceeding.

The most common problem is a 'black screen' which can be fixed with nomodeset in grub... so read up on that one first too.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:47 pm

Virtual machines "fake" common hardware that should work with any operating system. The guest OS doesn't get to see the real hardware at all (and doesn't know it). But running the OS "live" from the DVD or USB stick is a good way to test with the real hardware.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

oldgranola
Level 3
Level 3

Post by oldgranola » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:08 pm

Thanks. What I suspected.
comadore, pcDOS, hpux, solaris, vms-vax ....blah blah blah..
Yet I'm still a fn nooob

Return to “Newbie Questions”