how to add application or launcher to new panel

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
tgwilt
Level 2
Level 2

how to add application or launcher to new panel

Post by tgwilt »

Hi,

It's been onr of those days. Spent an inordinate amount of time trying to install FreeBSD on either Gboxes or Virtual Box go no avail., After finally getting it installed, FreeBSD never added an /etc/resolv.conf file. I specified 8.8.8.8 for my primary DNS during the install, but it didn't take. Also, the ports collection never downloaded, so trying to add sudo or X just wasn't in the cards. No problem. Didn't care enough to wrestle all day.

Now on to the question. I added a new panel (Linux Mint Cinnamon) to the top of the screen, but can't seem to add any applications or launchers to it. Updated Firefox, and wanted to have a launcher on the top panel. Nope. I've go two Firefox launchers in the default panel and though maybe I could use drag 'n drop, but I guess not. I''m pretty tired and my brain is mushy. How do I get launchers installed on the new panel. Please use small words so I can understand. In return, I'll let you know how to easily figure out a tritone substute for a V7 chord in any key you want.

Thanks in advance!

Tom (my brain hurts) Gwilt

md419
Level 2
Level 2

Re: how to add application or launcher to new panel

Post by md419 »

Does right clicking on an empty space on the panel show an option to Add to Panel ?

Or if you right click on the application itself, does it show Add to Panel ?

tgwilt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tgwilt »

md419 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:02 pm
Does right clicking on an empty space on the panel show an option to Add to Panel ?

tgwilt wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:46 pm
Hi,

It's been onr of those days. Spent an inordinate amount of time trying to install FreeBSD on either Gboxes or Virtual Box go no avail., After finally getting it installed, FreeBSD never added an /etc/resolv.conf file. I specified 8.8.8.8 for my primary DNS during the install, but it didn't take. Also, the ports collection never downloaded, so trying to add sudo or X just wasn't in the cards. No problem. Didn't care enough to wrestle all day.

Now on to the question. I added a new panel (Linux Mint Cinnamon) to the top of the screen, but can't seem to add any applications or launchers to it. Updated Firefox, and wanted to have a launcher on the top panel. Nope. I've go two Firefox launchers in the default panel and though maybe I could use drag 'n drop, but I guess not. I''m pretty tired and my brain is mushy. How do I get launchers installed on the new panel. Please use small words so I can understand. In return, I'll let you know how to easily figure out a tritone substute for a V7 chord in any key you want.

Thanks in advance!

Tom (my brain hurts) Gwilt
md419 wrote:

If I do that, the choice is to add an applet to the panel, but Firefox doesn't show up as an applet.

If I click on the application, it allows me to add it to the panel, butit always adds it to the original panel on the bottom of the screen. No choice as to which panel for the application.

md419
Level 2
Level 2

Post by md419 »

md419 wrote:

If I do that, the choice is to add an applet to the panel, but Firefox doesn't show up as an applet.
When the Add to Panel menu shows, is there an option for Application Launcher (Copy a launcher from the application panel) ? If so, double click on that which should include an Internet dropdown triangle and opening that should allow you to add a Firefox app launcher. I can't be sure as I use the MATE desktop, as Cinnamon runs too slowly on my laptop, and it's been awhile since I've used it.

tgwilt
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tgwilt »

md419 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:59 pm
md419 wrote:

If I do that, the choice is to add an applet to the panel, but Firefox doesn't show up as an applet.file:///home/tgwilt/Pictures/Screenshot%20from%202018-06-10%2020-12-28.png
When the Add to Panel menu shows, is there an option for Application Launcher (Copy a launcher from the application panel) ? If so, double click on that which should include an Internet dropdown triangle and opening that should allow you to add a Firefox app launcher. I can't be sure as I use the MATE desktop, as Cinnamon runs too slowly on my laptop, and it's been awhile since I've used it.
Nope. In the words of Earl Scheib (you won't know what that means if you're under 45) 'no ups, no options'

IOW there is not a dialogue box that gives any choice. There's got to be a simple solution, and when I find it, I'll broadcast it to the world!

Return to “Newbie Questions”