Problems with creating Video DVDs.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gregoryshock
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Problems with creating Video DVDs.

Post by gregoryshock »

Update: 06-15-2018 at 7:25 PM

It appears that I will need to use simple screen recorder with a microphone. There appears to me something wrong with Bomono. There is a menu that I can't seem to get too.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI gregoryshock,

It would help to know what Bombono menu you cannot access?
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
gregoryshock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gregoryshock »

phd21 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:44 pm HI gregoryshock,

It would help to know what Bombono menu you cannot access?
When I right click nothing comes up and I can't change the menu background. I made a video demonstrating.

https://youtu.be/RQ3eYfg4YP8
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

HI gregoryshock,

I just watched your video.

When on the Bombono Menu tab, before you can use the menu editor on the right, you first have add menu(s) then to select an existing menu by double-clicking it on the left, or by clicking it once on the left and then clicking the 3rd button Edit menu button (check mark or dot) below it on the left side. Then, it will show on the right side and you should be able to edit that menu on the right side, including right-clicking and selecting the background (poster) image, adding DVD buttons, etc...

Hope this helps ...
Bombono_Menu_Editor1.jpg
Last edited by phd21 on Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
gregoryshock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gregoryshock »

It does help! Now I got to finish watching your video.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi gregoryshock,

I just updated my last reply.

I thought I was fairly clear in my video that you had to add a menu, then select it to edit it on the right?

FYI: You can add navigation items (buttons) "->" by selecting the menu item (button), and clicking the "+" sign on that toolbar, then move the button and resize it where you want, right-click and select "link" to a menu or video file.
gregoryshock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gregoryshock »

phd21 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:18 pm Hi gregoryshock,

I just updated my last reply.

I thought I was fairly clear in my video that you had to add a menu, then select it to edit it on the right?
Yes I rewound your video and you said that but I missed it.
gregoryshock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gregoryshock »

I don't have things right yet! The render failed.

Made a short 2 minute video of it failing.

https://youtu.be/v2H5DnMHHAg
gregoryshock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gregoryshock »

Update

After the Bombono Rendering Error, I discovered it did more than just crash. It destroyed my entire project!

https://youtu.be/zgM8VmfH5TM
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi gregoryshock,

Since you have been rapidly sending me PM's regarding this, you do not need to keep updating this post until we figure out what is going on with your project.

As I told you in a PM, very few applications are perfect or work perfectly all the time in any computer operating system. I rarely have issues with Bombono.

Last night I was trying to learn as much as I can about Bombono by maxing out its capabilities and trying various things, and it crashed on me as well with the same message where the saved project would not load. So, I rebooted my computer, started a new Bombono project, and decided I would start with two menus, save the project with a new name, render the project, then add the 3rd menu, save it with another new name, render, add the 4th menu, save it with another new name, render, etc... This way on a more complicated project, if something happens, I can open the previously working project file and start from there without starting over. Although, it is pretty easy to create or recreate menus or an entire Bombono project.

I am up to 4 menus and it has worked perfectly and I learned some new things and features.

I did notice that sometimes Bombono has a problem with ".jpg" and ".jpeg" images and thinks they are videos which I think is because a long time ago there used to be animated "jpg" files which can make a background image appear then disappear (short video length) after rendering with "action" menu, but ".png" images work perfectly everytime. There is a great image converter called "Converseen" in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager SPM that can easily convert one or more images from one format to another like from "jpg" to "png".
Last edited by phd21 on Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
gregoryshock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gregoryshock »

phd21 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:19 pm Hi gregoryshock,

Since you have been rapidly sending me PM's regarding this, you do not need to keep updating this post until we figure out what is going on with your project.

As I told you in a PM, very few applications are perfect or work perfectly all the time.

Last night I was trying to learn as much as I can about Bombono by maxing out its capabilities and trying various things, and it crashed on me as well with the same message where the saved project would not load. So, I rebooted my computer, started a new Bombono project, and decided I would start with two menus, save the project with a new name, render the project, then add the 3rd menu, save it, render, add the 4th menu, save it render, etc... I am up to 4 menus and it has worked perfectly and I learned some new things and features.

I did notice that sometimes Bombono has a problem with ".jpg" and ".jpeg" images and thinks they are videos which I think is because a long time ago there used to be animated "jpg" files which can make a background image appear then disappear (short video length) after rendering with "action" menu, but ".png" images work perfectly everytime. There is a great image converter called "Converseen" in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager SPM that can easily convert one or more images from one format to another like from "jpg" to "png".
Ok I won't post any more in here until we get something figured out.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi gregoryshock,

I created a Bombono DVD of your Dad's 63 nature videos from his nature cam(s) that you sent me, see screenshot below. I sent you the resulting "dvd.iso" file using the really nice and free "pCloud transfer" web page which you can burn to a DVD disc or play using the "Videos" media player (totem), or VLC, or SMplayer, etc... This is just a sample of one way by year.

Bombono_DVD_NatureVideos1.jpg
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Greg and anyone else interested in this topic,

With Greg's permission, I was able to use the superb TeamViewer remote access application to connect to his Xfce 18.3 system and create a working Bombono DVD using his 63 avi files.

I have used the wonderful Bombono DVD Authoring creator application to successfully create DVD's for years on every Linux Mint system. But, I normally do not have 60 or more videos to add to a DVD project. Yet, Bombono was able to easily handle my tests with 80 video files, so I do not know if it has any "number of files" limitations.

After working with Bombono many times recently, I have some more observations to share which may help anyone using Bombono:

1.) Use "png" still images rather the "jpg" or "jpeg" for DVD menu "poster" backgrounds and or DVD menu button poster backgrounds rather than "jpg" or "jpeg" images which seem to be considered video files by Bombono or my Linux system making the image only appear for a split second or like you have no background when using the menu motion option after rendering.

1.a.) Tip: You can easily use a multimedia player like SMplayer, or VLC, or "Videos (Totem)", to play a video and use its built-in "snapshot" toolbar button or key combo to get nice pictures from your videos that you can use for DVD menu backgrounds or DVD menu buttons. VLC did not work on his system for snapshots, but SMplayer did. You can also change SMplayer to save images as PNG, Videos (totem) already saves images as "png", or use "Converseen" to convert images to "png" format.

1.b.) You can use Bombono's Source tab to select a video, click the edit button which puts that video on the timeline at the bottom and click on the timeline bar to scroll thru the video (mouse drag or left and right arrows) and add chapter bookmarks which can be referenced as menu links or poster backgrounds or button links or poster backgrounds. You can right click the top of the timeline bar to see other options including saving an image(s) as "jpeg", or to play that video clip and get png images, etc... This is handy because some videos their first few frames appear to be blank so nothing shows on the DVD menu or button, but if you create a chapter bookmark under Sources for that video where there is an image, you can use that chapter bookmark for that video as the menu or button's poster reference and it will show an image; the "link" reference should still be to the video though.

1.c.) If you are using video chapter bookmarks or the actual videos as the background poster of your menus with motion on, and buttons also referring to videos and or their chapter bookmarks, then it seems to want that "Still Picture" menu setting checked, if you use "png" still images for menu poster backgrounds, then you do not need that setting on the menus with motion for it to render. This only seems necessary when using motion menus where the background is referencing a video and the buttons are also referencing videos as well. But, you can experiment with these settings because it may render on your system even with these options.

2.) Do not delete or rename files on your system outside of Bombono that are already in a Bombono DVD project or it will not load your project and you will have to start that project over.

3.) If need be, save the project using different names during the creative process like "project-menu1", try the render (create) process, add another menu or add more project files and or buttons, etc... save the project again with a different name (save as) like "project-menu2" and try the render process, etc... that way if the render fails, you can open a previous project without starting over, although it is pretty simple to recreate a project and its menus.

4.) Do not put items in the DVD menu design outside of the "safe" box, try not to overlay design elements on top of one another's edges. You can put a button on the menu and overlay text on top of that, but sometimes I found that if you overlay the text or another button or design element over the edges of something else, it may stop rendering with an error, see screenshots below. There are also right-click "Align" options in menu editing that may help, I do not know.

5.) If you cannot render (create) your project, stop using other programs even browsers temporarily while rendering (creating) your project just to make sure that something else is not interfering with that somehow.

5.a.) If you do have an error message or some other message that stops the rendering, write it down, and then look in the Bombono DVD project (rendering) output folder to see where it left off because that might indicate a problem file or files that need to be removed and or converted to another format before adding back to the project.

6.) If you have a lot of still pictures or images you want to add to your DVD project, I would highly recommend using a "slideshow" or "movie maker" application to create a video with or without special effects and or its own soundtrack which you can add to your Bombono project's Sources. "ffDiaporama v2.1" is my favorite one of these, but may seem a little more complicated than some other slideshow movie makers. There are also online websites for doing this.

Basic super simple to install and use slideshow movie makers for pictures and images
- PhotoFilmStrip super simple to use, download deb file and double-click to install.
PhotoFilmStrip download - SourceForge.net
https://sourceforge.net/projects/photostoryx/

- "4K Slideshow Maker" another super simple slideshow movie maker app you download and install
4K Slideshow Maker - Make Cool Slideshows for Free 4K Download
https://www.4kdownload.com/products/pro ... eshowmaker

Easy to install and use mid-range slideshow movie makers for pictures and images
"Imagination" - excellent and its in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager SPM, training videos are available on YouTube.

Feature-rich more complex to use advanced slideshow movie makers
- If you use their defaults, these can also be simple to use, just add your pictures and or videos and or additional sound tracks, rearrange them if wanted, click render to create one video file.

- These can use pictures and or other videos and or audio tracks to create (render) one video file.

- My favorite "ffDiaporama v2.1" - an older version 1.5 is in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager SPM but the sound it not good, v.2.1 easy to install in Linux Mint 17.x, a little more involved to install in Linux Mint 18.x - see forum post on this.

How to get ffdiaporama on Mint 18? - Linux Mint Forums
- see my updated last reply from today 06-21-2018 for instructions to install in Linux Mint 18.
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=229333&p=1213312&h ... a#p1213146

- "Videoporama" - did not work on my 18.x Linux Mint system, but it might for you, and it is in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager SPM.

- Some video editors do have actual slideshow options and all of the video editors can combine pictures and videos and audio tracks to create (render) one video file in various formats which can be used by itself or added to applications like Bombono. like the excellent "Kdenlive", "OpenShot", "Shotcut", 'Lives", Cinelerra-gg, LightWorks (lws), Pitivi, etc...

7.) If you have a lot of videos like this forum member, you can also combine them using a video editor, and or some slideshow movie makers, before adding them to your Bombono project sources. You can add special effects, change display times, overlay text or create title pages, and or transitions effects as well. For example: Instead of adding 63 videos to Bombono and having to tell each one's "end action" to go to the specific next video or a specific menu, you could create one video for a portion of them like by year or event or whatever, reducing the number of actual videos Bombono or you have to control. This member has 63 videos by years 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018, and could create just 4 videos from those by year, in this case, using a video editor or slideshow movie maker, rather than use 63 videos, to add only 4 videos that combined and represent all 63 videos to the Bombono project.

Hope this helps ...
Bombono_Good_Design1.jpg
Bombono_Bad_Design1.jpg
Bombono_Add_Chapter1.jpg
Last edited by phd21 on Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Greg and anyone else interested in this topic,

I have done a lot more researching and experimenting with "creating video DVD's". I also updated my last reply with more information and current links to various applications.

So, here are some more observations.

1.) My favorite is still "Bombono" for ease of use and excellent features like motion video buttons. It simply works great.

2.) DVDstyler (from PPA) works well, and is easy to use. It works by picking a background menu option or create your own, then simply adding videos using drag and drop, and it automatically creates menus and video and navigation buttons. This has many options including the great rendering options to a DVD folder, or iso file, and or DVD disc, but some of it's menu navigation options can be a little confusing to me. The DVDstyler built-in file manager (left side tab) worked great in Linux Mint "Xfce" and probably Cinnamon and Mate, but did not work at all in my KDE 18.3 system and repeatedly gave an "ogg" error that required killing the application and restarting it, but if I used the Dolphin file manager to drag and drop videos, it worked well. The background and buttons tabs on the left worked fine in all system tested. * It handled 63 avi videos without a problem, and automatically created 17 menus with only 4 video buttons per menu and fairly fast rendering as well. There are other right-click options where you added the videos. I have not tested all the features of this thoroughly yet and there are various options and terms used that I do not currently understand. The navigation buttons near the bottom are black and very hard to see depending on your background choice; you can change the colors and fonts, etc... This app did not like overlaying menu items over one another when manually editing menus, like video buttons overlapping navigation buttons, and would stop rendering until you fixed it.

2.b.) You can also choose not to auto create menus, or delete all menus but first menu of the automatically created menus, add your own menus, for example in this nature DVD which has 4 years of videos (2015,2016,2017,2018), you could create 4 menus, one for each year, have a play button to play the first video for that year, change each video's post play option to go to the next video for that year until the last video for that year which you change to go back to the menu or to the next menu, and so on. Or create one menu with 4 picture frame buttons for each year, but still need to change the videos post play to go to the next video and so on...

3.) DeVeDe-NG: The easiest to use so far is DeVeDe-NG which used to be DeVeDe, but on quick review it seems very basic and does not have a lot of user options or configuration options. It works by adding videos and it automatically creates menus and buttons with minor user controls. It has been a long time since I used DeVeDe, but I thought it was more like create a menu chapter with background, add items, etc... This newer version seems different now, but it works. I do not see motion menus or motion video button options. It is also limited to 62 videos or files which would normally be more than enough. If you have a lot of videos, combine them into one or more larger videos by date, subject, theme, event, etc... using a video editor, "movie maker" like "ffDiaporama", or the various console terminal command options, etc... which is better for any application and you the user will have less to provide controls for.

4.) "OpenDVD Producer" - Claims to work with Linux and it installs, but I have not been able to get this to work. Seems to be abandoned for 2years now. Interesting interface though.

Tip note: With any of these DVD authoring applications, or other video and or audio applications, if you have a problem adding a video file or audio file or even a picture image file because the application comes back and states this cannot handle that file type format, do not worry yourself because there are many superb multimedia converter applications that can easily convert almost any type of file format into another file type format which that application you want to use can handle, for example, if an application cannot add an ".mkv" video file just convert it to ".mp4" video file, then add it to your project.

Hope this helps ...
DVDstyler1.jpg
DVDstyler2.jpg
devede1.jpg
Last edited by phd21 on Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gregoryshock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gregoryshock »

I want everyone to know that I think Phil did a great job trying to help me.

I understand why Phil likes BombonoDVD, but what I can't understand is how Phil gets the program to work. I never can tell what is going wrong. Either I'm not doing something right or the program is doing something wrong. It doesn't seem to be a very forgiving program and the official documentation is lacking. Here is a link to it: http://www.bombono.org/action/show/Bomb ... umentation There is a lot of different hidden bubbles you got to check in order for it create things properly. If one of these is not set correctly the program just fails. I would rather the program outputted something that I could watch, and then I think it would be easier to diagnose what I'm not checking off properly. I also think you got to have a complete understanding of all the different ways a Video DVD can be set up with Menus, Chapters, Buttons, etc. And you need to learn the "bugs" that are in the program, which Phil points out some of them. For example use PNG instead of JPG. I think it's an awful lot for a newbie to take in.

I was content with using the program DeVeDe before it began failing on me, on a regular basis on multiple computers. I think the learning Curve for DeVeDe makes a little more sense to the common guy. I remember when I was first trying to learn how to use DeVede, I had to watch a tutorial twice, and experiment 3 times before I got it working the way I wanted. Then the developer decided to replace it with DeVeDeNG. After that I had trouble after trouble. I remember the last time I got the program to work. I had to install mx15 linux because it had the old version of DeVeDe. It worked for me without a hitch. Where as the DeVeDeNG didn't pair the titles to the actual video correctly. The last time I tried DeVeDeNG it won't render 30 files. And that is on a computer with 16 gigs of ram!

I haven't had time to try DVDStyler yet, but I did install it, the way I was told on this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RinWES115_0

The issue I have with these programs is that as far as I can tell none of them are self-explanatory. I already grabbed 4 tutorials from youtube on DVDStyler.

I also have Open DVD Producer installed and I have not messed with it for the same reason that I haven't messed with DVDstyler yet.

* Just for a side note I don't know how to use Kdenlive, or OpenShot. I've messed around with these two programs but never had much of a use for them. I've heard a lot of people talk about them, and they've said positive and negative things about them. Kdenlive is one that didn't work correctly in Linux Mint, and that is why some people were installing it from a PPA. Openshot, I heard was good at crashing. But at least I have played around with these two programs and I've watched some tutorials on them.
gregoryshock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gregoryshock »

Update:

Some minor successes. Neither one of these did exactly what I wanted. The last one, when put in a DVD player doesn't show the main menu. Instead it just started playing.

https://youtu.be/s3oumLCyGtc

https://youtu.be/Bcz7Rx6bnSY
gregoryshock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gregoryshock »

Update 06/24/2018 @ 11:45 am

I decided that BombonoDVD is not for me. The program is entirely too complex. Even If I were to get a DVD made, it would probably be a year or longer before I would need to create another one. By that time I would have forgotten everything I learned.

DeVeDeNG is a program that am also done with. Too many problems with too many machines.

I will try DVDStyler but if it's too hard for me then I just won't be making Video DVDS on a linux machine. I worked on learning how to do this for about 3 weeks now and I'm tired of the frustrations.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi gregoryshock and anyone else interested in this,
gregoryshock wrote:I want everyone to know that I think Phil did a great job trying to help me.
Thank you.
gregoryshock wrote:I haven't had time to try DVDStyler yet, but I did install it, the way I was told on this thread.
- The good instructions to easily install DVDstyler's current version was provided earlier in your post by member "administrollaattori". You may have to restart or at least logout and back in after installing various applications before they will work, or work properly.

- DVDstyler like DeVeDe was very easy to use if you use its automatic defaults even with 63 avi video files, pick a background menu graphics option, then just drag and drop the videos from your file manager or its built-in file manager to the bottom of its window, click next or continue to render the DVD. Of courte most people would want to customize some things like DVD Menu Title, maybe add music or audio tracks to menus, etc...
gregoryshock wrote:I understand why Phil likes BombonoDVD, but what I can't understand is how Phil gets the program to work. I never can tell what is going wrong. Either I'm not doing something right or the program is doing something wrong. It doesn't seem to be a very forgiving program and the official documentation is lacking. Here is a link to it: http://www.bombono.org/action/show/Bomb ... umentation There is a lot of different hidden bubbles you got to check in order for it create things properly. If one of these is not set correctly the program just fails. I would rather the program outputted something that I could watch, and then I think it would be easier to diagnose what I'm not checking off properly. I also think you got to have a complete understanding of all the different ways a Video DVD can be set up with Menus, Chapters, Buttons, etc. And you need to learn the "bugs" that are in the program, which Phil points out some of them. For example use PNG instead of JPG. I think it's an awful lot for a newbie to take in.
- If you follow my Bombono video #2 tutorial and my observation notes, then most people should be able to use Bombono to create very nice DVD's. Nobody has to use the more advanced features like motion menus and or motion video buttons which may be better for beginners: add your videos and pictures in the "Sources" tab, click the "Menu" tab, click add a menu, click a menu, then click edit menu button to put that menu on the right side to edit the menu screen, right-click the menu on the right side and set the "poster" to a picture or video, click the "safe box" toolbar option on top to show anyone where you should put everything inside, click a button option at the top, then drag your videos to your menu and right-click the video button and select a "poster" image or the video it represents, rearrange them the way you want, add Text for a Menu Title and perhaps text for the buttons, if you have more than one menu add navigation buttons like left or right arrows and right-click the navigation buttons to set their "link" to the menu you want it to go to, click the "Output" tab, select your options like DVD or write image, then just click Build DVD button.
---Tip or Note: If you have a menu video button that you want to play multiple videos add the first video as a button, like in this example the first 2015 nature video (01_2015.avi), and on the left side right-click the first 2015 video (01_2015.avi) and change its "End Action" (what to do after its been played) to the next actual specific video to play (02_2015.avi) for that year, and do the same for each of the next videos in that year, until you get to the last video for that year, then tell its "end action" to go back to the menu it came from, or to another menu. Sorting the videos on the left side of the menu screen makes this task easier; combining the videos into one video , or fewer videos, would also make this task easier.

- Accurate and complete documentation is, unfortunately, an issue with almost everything, including software applications, and computer operating systems.
gregoryshock wrote:I was content with using the program DeVeDe before it began failing on me, on a regular basis on multiple computers. I think the learning Curve for DeVeDe makes a little more sense to the common guy. I remember when I was first trying to learn how to use DeVede, I had to watch a tutorial twice, and experiment 3 times before I got it working the way I wanted. Then the developer decided to replace it with DeVeDeNG. After that I had trouble after trouble. I remember the last time I got the program to work. I had to install mx15 linux because it had the old version of DeVeDe. It worked for me without a hitch. Where as the DeVeDeNG didn't pair the titles to the actual video correctly. The last time I tried DeVeDeNG it won't render 30 files. And that is on a computer with 16 gigs of ram!
As I stated before DeVeDe-NG is the easiest to use, if you use its automatic defaults, select the first option "Video DVD", on the next screen, its main screen, click the plus sign to add your videos, rearrange them in the order you want using the up or down arrows, click "Forward" continue button to render the DVD iso image file which will be in your Home folder (you can change that). Most people would probably want to customize it a little more, so on the main screen you can click a video then click "properties" to change something like the video name which appears on the buttons and or audio volume, etc... If you click the "Menu options" button at the bottom on the add videos screen before clicking the "Forward" button, you can add a Title with your colors and background colors, select different menu backgrounds, including changing the menu background image, some minor button adjustments, then click the "Forward" button to create and render the DVD iso image file which can be burned to a DVD.

gregoryshock wrote:The issue I have with these programs is that as far as I can tell none of them are self-explanatory. I already grabbed 4 tutorials from youtube on DVDStyler.
Only very basic applications are "self-explanatory", and more complex or involved software applications would require reading the developer's and others manuals, tutorials, etc...
gregoryshock wrote:I also have Open DVD Producer installed and I have not messed with it for the same reason that I haven't messed with DVDstyler yet.
"OpenDVD producer" is not ready for Linux, I would not recommend installing it or trying to use it in Linux.

gregoryshock wrote:* Just for a side note I don't know how to use Kdenlive, or OpenShot. I've messed around with these two programs but never had much of a use for them. I've heard a lot of people talk about them, and they've said positive and negative things about them. Kdenlive is one that didn't work correctly in Linux Mint, and that is why some people were installing it from a PPA. Openshot, I heard was good at crashing. But at least I have played around with these two programs and I've watched some tutorials on them.
Most people, especially beginners and newbies, would not have 63 or more videos to add to a DVD project which of course adds some complexity because of the number of files.

--- If you have a lot of videos, then you really should consider combining them in some way (year, event, etc..) into fewer videos for your DVD project which makes it easier for you and the DVD Authoring software. For Greg's Dad's Nature Cam project combining them by year makes sense, or perhaps location, or by animals seen in the videos. Using a video editor, or "movie maker" maker application like "ffDiaporama", or even console terminal options, is great for doing this.

--- If you have a lot of photos (images), then creating a video of those using a slideshow maker, movie maker, video editor, etc... also makes sense. Then, just add the slideshow video to your DVD project sources.

Some popular software applications like most video editors are being actively updated and maintained which means that the ones available in the Mint Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager SPM are going to be outdated, so people should use their recommended PPA or AppImage, Snap, or Flatpak installation options; I prefer AppImage over Snap or Flatpak myself.

For instance with Greg's Nature Video DVD project, combining the 2015 nature videos using the superb Kdenlive video editor (720p at 30fps) from the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager did not render Greg's Dad's avi videos well, there were a lot of "video artifacts", whereas the current Kdenlive AppImage did so very well and fairly quickly. In fact, the resulting single "mp4" video file from the original 2015 nature videos, 8 videos totaling 401 megabytes, rendered a single video file around 1/3 the size of the original videos which can now be added to one of the DVD Authoring applications. There are 31 nature videos in the year 2017 totaling almost 800mb that could be combined into 1 video file. So instead of running into a number of video limits with DeVeDe, or having to set various video controls for 63 individual videos, if they were combined into 4 videos by years (2015,2016,2017,2018), then there would be only 4 videos to control and no number of videos limits or restrictions would be a problem with any of the DVD Authoring applications.

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:07 pm, edited 5 times in total.
gregoryshock
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gregoryshock »

All I got to say is I worked my butt off with these programs. I think this thread is done.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi greg, and Anyone Interested in this,

A couple days ago I received an email with a desktop recording from Greg showing that he was able to easily create a Bombono DVD using combined videos rather than 63 separate .avi videos.

I have been interested in and enjoy video and audio editing for a long time now. I learned a long time ago that if I was having a problem with any video and audio application with certain video or audio file types that it would help to convert (transcode) them into a more common, or just different, file type using one of the many multimedia converter applications or video editors that are available then retry that application with the converted files to see if it works, and it usually does unless the files are corrupted. It also helps to install as many video and audio codecs packages to decrease the odds of running into video or audio files that cannot be processed which I already covered in this post.

Although I was able to easily use Bombono and DVDstyler with Greg's father's 63 avi videos representing his nature cams for 2015,2016,2017,2018, he had trouble with it. So, I installed the excellent "WinFF" converter application from the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM), and converted them into "mp4" widescreen files which worked very well. I also used "ffDiaporama" (movie maker) and "Kdenlive" and "OpenShot" (video editors) to combine the original avi videos (or the converted videos) by years into different sets of "mp4" and "webm" (720p at 25 or 30fps) formats to reduce the number of video files to 4 or 5 videos to add to any application, and thus reducing the number of videos to make DVD menus and DVD buttons for and to control what actions to do after any video finishes playing ("end action" or "post action"); this made using any of the DVD authoring applications much easier when there are a lot of videos to contend with. The video editors were easy to use and had no problem combining 31 videos for 2017 or the other years and converting them from avi to a single mp4 or webm or another single avi file formats. "ffDiaporama" had trouble with these 31 videos so I split that in half to create 2 videos for that year "2017-part1of2" and "2017-part2of2". I will provide a tutorial on using a video editor and ffDiaporama to combine videos and or pictures of various types into one single video file of various types, which I would recommend using .mp4, or .webm, or .mkv.

With all the people that have smartphones, cameras, video cameras, webcams, etc... at various events, like parties, school events, weddings, normal family stuff (including Genealogy), vacations and trips, concerts, nature cams, hobbies, business (sales, presentations, parties, and events) too, it could and would be common to have a lot of videos and pictures available from all those sources that you may want to add to a DVD disc or other video project, so it would be very useful to use a video editor and or movie maker to combine them in some way before adding them to a DVD Authoring applications or other video project, and if you want, you can add special effects, transition effects, and or title pages, etc... then you and those you give the DVD discs to have a permanent record of these events that cannot be erased or over-written, can be played on their TV's using their DVD or Blu-Ray player, or their computers, or game consoles, etc... And it is easy to mail a disc as well, even with Internet speeds getting better all the time, it would still take a long time to email or file transfer to people a video file DVD with 4.7 gigabytes or more full of videos and pictures.

Photo and Image converters:
"Converseen" - in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)
"XnViewMP" - download and install
- Almost all the photo and image applications like "Gimp", "DigiKam", Pinta", etc... can edit and or convert images to other formats.

Additional Audio Encoder codecs
- Recommend installing this Nero audio "AAC" encoder codec package that seems to be used by some MS Windows applications, some hardware devices (ie some cameras, etc...), and are part of various videos and audio files. You can add the "Monkey MAC" encoder from this as well.
Nero AAC Encoder - My Ubuntu Corner of the Web
https://tari.in/www/software/neroaac/

To install these ans ome audio apps using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste ("Shift+Insert" or "Ctrl+Shift+v"), repeat for each command.

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:cfgnunes/ppa

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:robert-tari/main

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:flexiondotorg/audio

sudo apt update

sudo apt install neroaac mac odio tsmuxer sacd aacgain wxmp3gain mp3gain wxlame mp3val wxmp3val

Various multimedia converters to convert videos, audio and music files, etc...
"SoundKonverter" for audio files, ripping CD's, ripping audio from videos...
"Soundconverter" for audio files

These can convert video and audio
*** "WinFF" - in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)

*** "Curlew" Multi-Media Converter Makes A Come Back, Install In Ubuntu/Linux Mint Via PPA - https://www.noobslab.com/2017/06/curlew ... -come.html

*** "Selene" Media Converter
http://www.teejeetech.in/p/selene-media-encoder.html

*** "FF Multi Converter" download - SourceForge.net -
To install, just download Linux archive, right-click to extract it, from the application's directory run as root the command below

sudo python3 setup.py install
https://sourceforge.net/projects/ffmulticonv/

"Transmageddon" in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)

HandBrake: Features
https://handbrake.fr/features.php

Avidemux - Main Page - use AppImage for installation
http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/

* dmSimpleApps: dmMediaConverter - v2.1.0
http://dmsimpleapps.blogspot.com/2014/0 ... erter.html

There are other multimedia converters available to use too...

for Simple video cutting, trimming, or cropping
- if you only want a portion of a video, then these 2 applications make that a simple task.

"LosslessCut" is a Ridiculously Simple Video Cutter for Linux | It's FOSS
https://itsfoss.com/losslesscut-video-cutter/

"VidCutter" - Quickly Trim and Join Video Clips
https://www.fossmint.com/vidcutter-quic ... deo-clips/

Various Video editors

"Kdenlive" - use AppImage option for newest version
https://kdenlive.org/en/download/

Kdenlive release : “Kdenlive” team PPA
https://launchpad.net/~kdenlive/+archiv ... ive-stable

OpenShot Video Editor | Download
https://www.openshot.org/download/

Pitivi, a free and open source video editor for Linux - in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)
http://www.pitivi.org/

Get Cinelerra-GG
https://cinelerra-cv.org/download_gg.php
Or save this deb file and double-click it to install it.
https://cinelerra-cv.org/five/pkgs/mint ... _amd64.deb

Shotcut - Download
https://shotcut.org/download/

"Lightworks" The professional editor for everyone
https://www.lwks.com/

Lives, DaVinci, etc...

There are other video editors available to use too...

Hope this helps ...

Return to “Beginner Questions”