media player SOLVED

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
intelligence
Level 1
Level 1

media player SOLVED

Post by intelligence » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:38 pm

I just installed the Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.2 32-bit program. I am now trying to install the media player, but I don't know how and which one to use. Can anyone helpme?

Much Thanks,
Mary :D

UPDATE: Thankyou 'Wharfrat' for your suggestion about the password :D . Greatly appreciated and I was able to download what I needed. Thankyou as well to all those that responded!
Mary
Last edited by intelligence on Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Re: media player

Post by catweazel » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:26 am

intelligence wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:38 pm
I just installed the Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.2 32-bit program. I am now trying to install the media player, but I don't know how and which one to use. Can anyone helpme?

Much Thanks,
Mary :D
Mint comes equipped with a media player already installed. Are you having an issue playing a certain file?
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

Hoser Rob
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hoser Rob » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:40 am

If it's 32 bit you installed I suspect it's an old machine ... please copy/paste this to the terminal and copy/paste the text outpout here (always do this with support questions):

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
And if it's old hardware I'd suggest a fast player like SMplayer or gnome-mplayer. Smplayer is my default, the performance is really good and it handles different formats better than VLC. I use gnome-mplayer for the rare occasions I play video on my netbook, which has terrible video performance.

inRAIDius
Level 1
Level 1

Post by inRAIDius » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:34 am

I completely agree with Hoser Bob.
Smplayer is also my default. It plays anything we throw at it, has excellent playlist functionality, highly configurable audio and video settings, lots of choices of skins, plus many more. Give it try, I bet you'll really enjoy the experience.
You can find it here:
http://www.smplayer.info/en/info

Have fun!
A little research goes a long way...

Moem
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Moem » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:48 am

inRAIDius wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:34 am
You can find it here:
There's no need, it's in the repos.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

inRAIDius
Level 1
Level 1

Post by inRAIDius » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:05 am

Moem wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:48 am
inRAIDius wrote:
You can find it here:
It's always good to research a program/application before installing it, no?

intelligence
Level 1
Level 1

Post by intelligence » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:22 pm

Yes. When I click on it to download it asks me for a password for authenticity but we didn't put one in so I don't know how to get past that or even to set up a password.
Hubby and I are learning but as you can see we are not computer savvy. Thanks!
Mary

WharfRat
Level 20
Level 20

Post by WharfRat » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:30 pm

The password it's looking for is your user account password.

So respond with the password you use to login :wink:
ImageImage

Hoser Rob
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hoser Rob » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:36 am

inRAIDius wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:05 am
Moem wrote:
inRAIDius wrote:
You can find it here:
Not necessarily. Linux novices are usually steered towards repo software, for good reason. Non repo software not only may not work, installing it can break existing software, including the OS itself. Novices generally don't know how to avoid this.

In Mint 17.3 there was justification for installing the mcman ppa version of smplayer for HEVC support, but most beginners install the newest version and it's not necessary there.

However, if it's an old 32 bit machine running Cinnamon it may not play HEVC properly anyway. Which is why I asked for inxi output.

inRAIDius
Level 1
Level 1

Post by inRAIDius » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:21 am

Hoser Rob wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:36 am
inRAIDius wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:05 am
Moem wrote:

Not necessarily. Linux novices are usually steered towards repo software, for good reason. Non repo software not only may not work, installing it can break existing software, including the OS itself. Novices generally don't know how to avoid this.

In Mint 17.3 there was justification for installing the mcman ppa version of smplayer for HEVC support, but most beginners install the newest version and it's not necessary there.

However, if it's an old 32 bit machine running Cinnamon it may not play HEVC properly anyway. Which is why I asked for inxi output.
Did I read this right? That it's not necessarily a good thing to do research before installing programs/making changes?
I would think that a user of any skill level would like to get as much info as possible in order to make an informed decision.
Experience tells me that when new users make informed decisions and yet still make mistakes, they learn much more about their system as opposed to taking the path of least resistance.
If research is not recommended by experienced users like ourselves, then maybe this forum isn't for me.

I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:54 pm

intelligence wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:22 pm
Yes. When I click on it to download it asks me for a password for authenticity but we didn't put one in so I don't know how to get past that or even to set up a password.
Hubby and I are learning but as you can see we are not computer savvy. Thanks!
Mary
Given this statement, I have a hard time with untethered speculation about what kind of PC the Original Poster may or may not have and advice sending the Original Poster to obscure media players not in the current Mint software manager, that has to be installed by techniques they apparently are not familiar with:.

1. There are lots of 32bit PCs built for and running Windows 7 very well, with plenty of RAM and processing horsepower. Any 32bit PC that ran Windows 7 well will probably run Mint Cinnamon even better. IF the Original Poster's PC was built for Windows XP, then they might want to know that Mint XFCE is probably a better fit for good all around performance, especially for playing demanding media.

2. VLC Media Player is in the Mint software manager and is an extremely versatile, popular and very well documented free and open source media player on Windows, smartphones and Mint Linux. If the default media player is causing problems, VLC will handle all regularly used media file formats and will deal with videos on DVD very nicely as well as plugging into browsers for streaming online.

Too often, a delight of Linux expertise is making things more difficult than they have to be out of sheer enthusiasm for that expertise. New users should be given a break, they will have lots of time to find all those good and not so good software alternatives on Linux.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Ubuntu / Mint user since 10.04 LTS. M17.3 Cinnamon (Dell 1520). Dual booting M17.3 XFCE / W7 (Acer netbook) and M18.3 Cinnamon / W7 (Lenovo desktop). Testing M19.x 64bit on live USB.

Return to “Newbie Questions”