linux and Windows?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Alan_Hepburn
Level 1
Level 1

linux and Windows?

Post by Alan_Hepburn » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:07 pm

I've currently got my laptop set up as a dual-boot system, using linux mint 18 cinnamon 64-bit version 3.0.7 and Windows 8.1. I have some applications that do not seem to translate over to linux so I need to keep windows. When I need to run a Windows-only program I do a restart on my laptop and select Windows as the boot instead of linux. Having to restart the laptop every time I want to switch operating systems takes time. Is there an easier way to do it? I've had a couple of people suggest vmware - does it allow me to have linux working in one workspace and windows working in a second workspace?

Mattyboy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: linux and Windows?

Post by Mattyboy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:07 pm

A virtual machine ( VM ) is not really the same thing as a proper install. You can achieve a lot of things though you just need to understand the limitations.

A windows VM running on top of Linux, for example, won't be able to use your machines graphics card ( without some serious Linux-Fu ) so, forget gaming or advanced Photoshop, you'll also need a valid activation code. That works the other way round to.

Older or machines with low resources usually struggle to effectively run 'two' operating systems at the same time and provide a good productivity environment. It all depends on how powerful your machine is.

There's nothing to say you can't try of course https://www.virtualbox.org/

Perhaps a better Idea is to stick with what you have and find the Linux alternatives for those Windows programs.

Alan_Hepburn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Alan_Hepburn » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:23 pm

Mattyboy wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:07 pm
Perhaps a better Idea is to stick with what you have and find the Linux alternatives for those Windows programs.
Okay, so is there a linux alternative for such things as Microsoft Streets&Trips (offline trip routing), TurboTax, and Brother PEDesign (machine embroidery design software)?

AZgl1500
Level 7
Level 7

Post by AZgl1500 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:37 pm

sorry on TurboTax which I also use.
it is ONLY on Windows....

and I too keep a Win7 desktop PC separate from everything else. no linux on it.

have 3 Linux laptops and learning to replace most of my favorite Windows programs as I go... but no TurboTax UNLESS you are will to use the Cloud version of TurboTax which I am not..

for offline trip routing I have found that CoPilot USA is fantastic for Android devices.

it downloads the entire North American continent and never needs the network again.
it has maps for all regions of the globe.

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=copilot%20usa

Mattyboy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Mattyboy » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:36 am

Alan_Hepburn wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:23 pm
Mattyboy wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:07 pm
Okay, so is there a linux alternative for such things as Microsoft Streets&Trips (offline trip routing), TurboTax, and Brother PEDesign (machine embroidery design software)?
I've no idea to be honest as I don't use any of those type of applications, but I imagine an online search might be fruitful.

Not so sure about your machine embroidery design software and that may require advanced graphics but I should think the other two will work in a VM. Again it depends on your hardware.

If you open a terminal and provide the results of this command we'll have a better idea if your machine can run one. ( OEM Windows activation codes can be brought very cheaply from a well known online retailer ).

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
Another possibility could be running Windows programs in Linux using 'compatibility layer' programs such as WINE or PlayonLinux.

Alan_Hepburn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Alan_Hepburn » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:39 pm

Mattyboy wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:36 am

If you open a terminal and provide the results of this command we'll have a better idea if your machine can run one. ( OEM Windows activation codes can be brought very cheaply from a well known online retailer ).

inxi -Fxz
Another possibility could be running Windows programs in Linux using 'compatibility layer' programs such as WINE or PlayonLinux.
Thanks for the help - here's the results of running that command:

System:    Host: alan-Satellite-C55D-B Kernel: 4.4.0-57-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.0.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18 Sarah
Machine:   System: TOSHIBA product: Satellite C55D-B v: PSCN4U-00T005
           Mobo: TOSHIBA model: ZBWAE v: 1.00
           Bios: TOSHIBA v: 1.30 date: 06/06/2014
CPU:       Quad core AMD A8-6410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics (-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm) bmips: 15970
           clock speeds: max: 2000 MHz 1: 1200 MHz 2: 1000 MHz 3: 1000 MHz
           4: 1000 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Mullins [Radeon R4/R5 Graphics]
           bus-ID: 00:01.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.3 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@59.99hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on AMD MULLINS (DRM 2.43.0, LLVM 3.8.0)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] FCH Azalia Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:14.2
           Card-2 Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Kabini HDMI/DP Audio
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:01.1
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-57-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter
           driver: ath9k bus-ID: 03:00.0
           IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (10.4% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MQ01ABD1 size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 377G used: 94G (27%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 3.69GB used: 0.01GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda7
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 48.1C mobo: N/A gpu: 47.0
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 190 Uptime: 1:53 Memory: 2136.1/3382.8MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
I tried installing Microsoft Streets & Trips with PlayOnLinux but it failed - it showed a list of Microsoft utilities that it needed to load, and while it was loading it reports:

Error in POL_Wine
Wine seems to have crashed

I'm thinking it's probably easier to just keep doing what I have been doing - just restart the laptop in the proper OS for whatever I want to run...
Last edited by Moem on Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adding [code] tags. They retain some formatting that makes your output easier to read.

Mattyboy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Mattyboy » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:52 pm

Your Notebook is at best borderline in its abilities to run a VM, I think you'll find it a frustrating experience. If it were me I wouldn't. Again, there's no reason not to try it, its up to you. Hope that helps.

Can't help you with playonlinux or Wine as I use neither, others may though or you could check their own forums.

I think you're better off staying with what you've got.

Good luck. :)

Alan_Hepburn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Alan_Hepburn » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:44 pm

Thanks, Mattyboy - I'm agreeing with your suggestion to just stay with the status quo. I'll contrinue to run a dual-boot system for the times I need to run non-transferrable applications!

emmawatson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by emmawatson » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:41 am

I have been around the Linux community for more than 10 years now. From the very beginning, I have known that there are basic differences between Linux and Windows that will always set them apart. This is not, in the least, to say one is better than the other. It's just to say that they are fundamentally different. Many people, looking from the view of one operating system or the other, don't quite get the differences between these two powerhouses. So I decided it might serve the public well to list 10 of the primary differences between Linux and Windows. Along with access comes the difference between the licenses. I'm sure that every IT professional could go on and on about licensing of PC software. But let's just look at the key aspect of the licenses (without getting into legalese). With a Linux GPL-licensed operating system, you are free to modify that software and use and even republish or sell it (so long as you make the code available). Also, with the GPL, you can download a single copy of a Linux distribution (or application) and install it on as many machines as you like. With the Microsoft license, you can do none of the above. You are bound to the number of licenses you purchase, so if you purchase 10 licenses, you can legally install that operating system (or application) on only 10 machines. Your Notebook is at best borderline in its abilities to run a VM, I think you'll find it a frustrating experience. If it were me I wouldn't. Again, there's no reason not to try it, its up to you. Hope that helps.
Can't help you with playonlinux or Wine as I use neither, others may though or you could check their own forums.
I think you're better off staying with what you've got.
Good luck. :)

Return to “Newbie Questions”