Korean keyboard plus new applications

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hextejas
Level 2
Level 2

Korean keyboard plus new applications

Post by hextejas »

Running 18.2, KDE 5.8.9

1) I am trying to enable Korean typing for one of the users. I have been looking everywhere for about 2 days now. I can get the indicator in the bottom bar to switch between Korean and English but I cannot type in Korean. I need to be able to do it in Libre office writer as well as gmail.

2) For some reason I cannot get "Install New Applications" to run. I get the password prompt then nothing happens. Any idea what causes this ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hextejas
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Korean keyboard plus new applications

Post by hextejas »

For some reason the Install New Applications has started working again, though it takes forever to start up after I enter the password.
One curious thing related to the language preferences is that when I add Korean as the 2nd language in Region preferences, all the page headings, options, etc in Install New Applications,,,show up in Korean.
I thought that since English US was 1st in the list, it would default to that but it does not..
Perhaps related is that when I was trying to do something in the console window, I saw what looked to be an error message fly about about "missing locale en_US-utf-8. I might have part of that wrong but I thought it was curious.

anybody know of another version of linux that handles foreign languages better ? I want the base to be English with Korean as an alternate.

It should not be this hard.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

In my experience input in Asian languages works badly or not at all. See viewtopic.php?t=270077
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
songhuijohn
Level 3
Level 3

Post by songhuijohn »

Here is how I step up switching language input for English and Korean.

This is based upon a US English installed Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon.

- left mouse click on Menu
- place cursor on Preferences and left mouse click on Language
- left mouse click on Input method tab
- left mouse click on Korean to install (your need to do this for the additional language input you want)
- after Korean was installed, left mouse click on input method drop down box, left mouse click on Ibus ( I do not know if IBUS is needed for all languages - I suspect when your language is installed, there will be a note below the word Installed for your language telling you what input method to use)
- close the Language setting screen
- left mouse click on Menu
- place cursor on Preferences and left mouse click on Ibus Preferences
- left mouse click on Input Method tab
- left mouse click on Add button
- from the drop down box left mouse click on language to add and then left mouse click on the add botton
- close the Ibus Preference screen
- restart Linux Mint (VERY IMPORTANT)

In the Panel area for my situation I now see and icon of EN. If I want to be able to enter a mixture of English and Korean, I enter win key + space bar and select Korean - the Korean symbol replaces the EN icon in the panel area. Then when entering key strokes into an application, I use the shift + space bar to switch between English and Korean.
Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon, Mobo MSI A68HM Grenade, AMD A8-7600, 4GIG DDR3 1600, SSD Patriot Blast 120 GB
ChipSelect
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ChipSelect »

Followed the instruction from SonghuiJohn exactly and it works for me very well. I am using Linux Mint Cinnamon 19 on 32b Dell Inspiron Laptop.
Thanks.

Return to “Beginner Questions”