Mint doesn't boot. Displays errors

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Mint doesn't boot. Displays errors

Post by trytip »

i would reinstall using root / home / swap partitions not sure why mint 18.3 is installing in ext2 it should be ext4
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by HaveaMint »

My AMD A12 laptop won't even boot from 18.3 dvd or usb to install, I had to install mint 18 and then upgrade to 18.3 and it runs fine. You may consider trying this.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
ScotchMist

Post by ScotchMist »

HaveaMint wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:25 pm My AMD A12 laptop won't even boot from 18.3 dvd or usb to install, I had to install mint 18 and then upgrade to 18.3 and it runs fine. You may consider trying this.
All suggestions are welcome :D Added to the list

I was on IRC last night and some helpful folk gave me a few other routes to take also. Hopefully today is the day i get up and running.
ClixTrix

Post by ClixTrix »

I looked at the dmesg messages and the first two suggest a TPM problem. I think it's more than just a "disable" of TPM, you need to clear TPM. This article at Ubunut points at those two messages.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/926738/ ... resource-1

Here's an HP article on clearing TPM for HP Personal systems. The "Clear TPM Method using BIOS Setup" will hopefully work.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05807442

Might also benefit from a BIOS update. However, that's a little problematic without Windows installed.
ScotchMist

Post by ScotchMist »

ClixTrix wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:19 pm I looked at the dmesg messages and the first two suggest a TPM problem. I think it's more than just a "disable" of TPM, you need to clear TPM. This article at Ubunut points at those two messages.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/926738/ ... resource-1

Here's an HP article on clearing TPM for HP Personal systems. The "Clear TPM Method using BIOS Setup" will hopefully work.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05807442

Might also benefit from a BIOS update. However, that's a little problematic without Windows installed.
Thank you for taking the time. Im at the stage now where im willing to throw money at the problem for skills and time that i just dont have.

Only finding a Linux competent engineer in Belfast is proving equally problematic :lol:

I'll get there...
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

ScotchMist wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:06 am finding a Linux competent engineer in Belfast is proving equally problematic
Is it really that hard to get support for Linux out in the wild? I've heard in several places that there is a big demand for Linux technicians, perhaps this is why. It's something I'd like to be involved in, once I can get my head round NFS & other essential stuff, which is/are apparently among the test questions. Also helping with issues like yours, which I'm afraid I'm a bit lost with as don't have a modern AMD based machine to experiment with. :(
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Beginner Questions”