Need Help With Temps - Laptop Slowly Gets Hotter and Hotter!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Jammed
Level 1
Level 1

Need Help With Temps - Laptop Slowly Gets Hotter and Hotter!

Post by Jammed » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:36 am

Hi,

I really want to ditch Windows especially with their current Win 10 shenanigans and am loving Linux, but can't find a solution for the overheating on my laptop. I've installed the various sensor and battery monitor to switch between performance and power-save, but nothing seems to make any difference, my temps slowly creep up until it feels like you can cook an egg on my keyboard, even when reading a page on Firefox. I've tried Top in Terminal but nothing seems resource hungry.

I'm aware my laptop does need a clean, but I get absolutely no issues when using Win 10 unless I'm doing lots of photo editing.

I ran Sensors and pasted in the results at the bottom, I've been using Mint for about twenty minutes and it's already prepping to cook my dinner.... (And the fan is preparing for lift-off)

Code: Select all

Kernel: 4.13.0-41-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0) on Cinnamon
           Desktop: Cinnamon 3.6.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
           Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Machine:   Mobo: Dell model: Dell Precision M3800 v: A10
           Bios: Dell v: A10 date: 08/17/2015
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i7-4712HQ (-HT-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 18357
           clock speeds: max: 3300 MHz 1: 2449 MHz 2: 2094 MHz 3: 2049 MHz
           4: 2110 MHz 5: 2180 MHz 6: 2573 MHz 7: 2079 MHz 8: 2346 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
           bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Card-2: NVIDIA GK107GLM [Quadro K1100M] bus-ID: 02:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1920x1080@60.05hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.8 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card-1 Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
           Card-2 Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.13.0-41-generic
Network:   Card: Intel Wireless 7260 driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 06:00.0
           IF: wlp6s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 756.2GB (2.8% used)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: Samsung_SSD_840 size: 256.1GB
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: Samsung_SSD_850 size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 65G used: 15G (24%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 6.12GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda6
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 62.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 245 Uptime: 10 min Memory: 2360.5/11912.1MB
           Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 67.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Adapter: Virtual device
Processor Fan: 2400 RPM
Video Fan:     2400 RPM
CPU:            +69.0°C  

acpitz-virtual-0
temp1:        +27.8°C  (crit = +105.0°C)
temp2:       -266.3°C  (crit = +105.0°C)

dell_smm-virtual-0
Processor Fan: 2300 RPM
Video Fan:     2400 RPM
CPU:            +74.0°C  

acpitz-virtual-0
temp1:        +27.8°C  (crit = +105.0°C)
temp2:       -265.8°C  (crit = +105.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Package id 0:  +77.0°C  (high = +84.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 0:        +71.0°C  (high = +84.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 1:        +72.0°C  (high = +84.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 2:        +76.0°C  (high = +84.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)
Core 3:        +75.0°C  (high = +84.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

ZakGordon
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Need Help With Temps - Laptop Slowly Gets Hotter and Hotter!

Post by ZakGordon » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:10 pm

I have no software fix but found adding additional external fans to blow into my PC case (on laptops) did help a bit. However be very careful, one of the laptops ( an older high end HP Pavilion HDX) i left unattended and that hit +100 degrees C before shutting itself down and after a month (while i was trying to find a fix) running in the 70-80 degrees C range it died. So overheating if you get it under Mint is a critical issue.

The other PC (an old Acer Travelmate 5730) runs with the extra external fan on at all times and the temps mostly sit around 50-60 degrees C but especially if viewing youtube videos will hit a max of 85 degrees C. I set Psensor (available to download and install via Mints repository's) to give me a visible warning at 73 degrees and usually i just stop the video at that point and let it cool down while i do non heat intensive stuff (like browsing etc).

I have some theories why the one laptop died and the other runs hotter than it should (both laptops also ran under windows first and the temps were always a good 20 degrees lower vs Mint) and mostly i think it might be to with the default display drivers that both systems decided to run under.

The Pavilion HDX laptop had a discreet GPU but no amount of software tricks would seem to take so it always ran in the default software rendering mode AND i think that stopped the fans on the GPU working under the logged in desktop environment in Mint (they would spin up fast and loud as soon as you logged out of Mint to the login screen).

The other surviving laptop had no discreet card and just runs under software rendering by default and ALL the heat in this laptop comes from the rather too warm CPU temps.

One thing i might consider when i next upgrade (currently running Mint Cinnamon 17.1 32 bit) the Acer is picking 'Xfce' instead of Cinnamon as that is a lighter version of Mint and might run cooler on my system.

For yourself just be real careful, you could end up with a dead brick like my HP Pavilion HDX if you do not solve the overheating issue asap, so unless you get some good advice that works real quick do not leave it on and unattended.
Laptop overheating issues? Check link below:
TLP

turtlebay
Level 5
Level 5

Post by turtlebay » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:54 pm

Crack open the case and clean out the accumulated dust and debris from around the cpu and it's baffles and fan. I use a can of compressed air for doing that (not the whole can!).

ZakGordon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ZakGordon » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:52 am

Dust is worth checking as turtlebay mentioned, but i suspect the difference your seeing between running under Windows vs Mint means it is some kind of Mint software issue with your hardware.

I see you have a discreet GPU in your laptop, that quadro card. Do you notice it never using it's fans while running and using Mint, but maybe they spin up fast when you logout of the cinnamon desktop environment to the login screen?

If so one thing you can try and solve is getting Cinnamon to use the GPU fully rather than use software rendering mode. Check the 'Graphics cards and Monitors' sub forum to see if you can find any info to help you set your GPU up properly:

viewforum.php?f=59

I was never able to get my mobile nvidia 8600 GPU to work properly and i think that was the biggest reason for that HP Pavilion HDX laptop to overheat so badly it died. So getting your discreet card to run properly (ie use it's fans for cooling when in the Mint desktop environment) is probably going to be your priority.

I'm not experienced enough to show you all the steps but that thread i linked is a good place to look at and maybe post for help in?
Laptop overheating issues? Check link below:
TLP

Jammed
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Jammed » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:44 am

Thanks for the replies much appreciated!

I've got a lot of work on at the moment, but will have time at the weekend to try these solutions.
I've played around with different Graphics card profiles, but not looked into it in-depth yet, hopefully I'll find something that helps!

Cleaning the computer will definitely help, but I don't think that's the underlying issue. It seems more like a process that's running without any control from Mint,
Maybe something to do with Chip Throttling https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windo ... 34181.html that should be happening but isn't?

I know my way around Windows pretty well, but am very new to Linux so I might be totally wrong!

If I run out of solutions, at least there's no shortage of distros :shock: (way too many to choose from, took me long enough to try Mint)

Return to “Newbie Questions”