Mint Cinammon fails to launch

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tonybaker45

Mint Cinammon fails to launch

Post by tonybaker45 »

I have been using mint 18 and 19 for a while and it is great, even for a newbie like me. So nice to be free of Windows!
However, lately, on both my PC and laptop, I have been getting loading failures with the message "unable to launch - falling back to default" etc. No amount of key pressing will get around this problem so I have to reload Mint (which I have become quite good at!) but then I have lost all my bookmarks and saved files....can anyone help please?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
killer de bug

Re: Mint Cinammon fails to launch

Post by killer de bug »

If you reinstalled the system over your previous install, you lost all your files. If you had no backup, there is little hope to recover them...
tonybaker45

Post by tonybaker45 »

I realise that I lose the files, but can anyone help me solve the problem with"failed to launch" which is my real concern.....?
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Oh sorry, I had not understood that it was still a problem.

If it was working fine and then the problem appeared I would think it was created by an update.
Did you update the kernel, the graphics drivers or some other critical parts recently?
tonybaker45

Post by tonybaker45 »

yes I regularly update using the manager. Annoying thing is I have had an absolutely fantastic run from Linux Lite and Mint. OK some headaches setting up my Brother printer but even that seems ok now. At first I thought he "failure to launch" fault was due to hastily unplugging something from the USB port, but lately both laptop and desktop have same problem. I was so disappointed when I downloaded the ISO for M 19 and got the same problem within a few days.......By the way, do I update all the items suggested by the manager? or does it only update the ones related to what I have on my machine? Thanks...

Return to “Beginner Questions”