Buy Computer with Linux Mint installed

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Buy Computer with Linux Mint installed

Post by chiefjim »

whm1974 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:52 pm This in my view is the best way to go, but always do your research before buying a bunch of parts.
Agreed. My vendor of choice is Newegg. For things like motherboards I'll look at the reviews searching keywords Mint, Ubuntu, Linux. Odds are someone has made a pro or con statement. Never hurts to ask questions in this forum as well. Doing so helped me opt for a SSD which I use for my root partition of which I'm quite pleased with.

As a general statement I select my parts that are 6-12 months minimum behind state of the art. Any new machine should feel wonderful replacing one several years of age. Money saved on the motherboard/cpu selection can then be applied to a decent power supply as well as additional memory.
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Buy Computer with Linux Mint installed

Post by Arch_Enemy »

castalia1946 wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:24 pm I've used Windows for 20 years mostly on Dell Desktops and it's more and more difficult to deal with their OS. I like to buy a Desktop from a vendor with Mint installed. Any suggestions as how best to proceed? Thanks.
You can buy a Dell with Ubuntu installed, and from there 'upgrade' to Mint...;)
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.

Return to “Beginner Questions”