Buy Computer with Linux Mint installed

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
castalia1946

Buy Computer with Linux Mint installed

Post by castalia1946 »

I've used Windows for 20 years mostly on Dell Desktops and it's more and more difficult to deal with their OS. I like to buy a Desktop from a vendor with Mint installed. Any suggestions as how best to proceed? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Buy Computer with Linux Mint installed

Post by JeremyB »

turtlebay

Post by turtlebay »

When I bought a Dell laptop, within three minutes of starting it I was into the BIOS settings, changed them to boot from a CD first, then booted off a Mint DVD and removed Windows completely.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

There's a lot to be said for the second hand corporate market - get an older business desktop without UEFI and the odds are that mint will be easy to install. Save money as well! I'm a laptop man and all my laptops have been second hand Thinkpads.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Captain Brillo

Post by Captain Brillo »

HP machines can be difficult with Linux if you're going to re-purpose a Windows PC.
(bad experiences here.)
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

AndyMH wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:59 pm There's a lot to be said for the second hand corporate market - get an older business desktop without UEFI and the odds are that mint will be easy to install. Save money as well! I'm a laptop man and all my laptops have been second hand Thinkpads.
I have refurb Thinkpad T430 and it runs Mint flawlessly.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

LM desktops from US$499 ... https://linuxmint.com/store_computers.php

Alternatively, cheaply buy one that is without any OS and hire a tech-shop guy to install LM for you. Labor cost should be about US$30. ...
https://www.novatech.co.uk/pc/everydayuse/

If you ask on this forum for assistance to install LM, you should be welcomed and it's free of charge.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I picked up a used ASUS x500 yesterday with 500GB HDD and 4 GB Ram the windows was all ready removed or trashed but it booted OK. It took a couple of minutes to find the toggle to let it boot from a live LM 18.3 64 flashdrive. It installed but a lot of the writing was not by the icons. back to the bios again and UEFI was still active. I toggled it "OFF"and rebooted. Everything fine. Everything was done online via WIFI. After all of the updates it only took a total of 2 and a half hours. Price $24 US.
BTW I have recycles over 200 bricked laptops in the last 2 years. All work and the users are happy. I have only charged Corporate users. Those I did on site and trained the users in Linux.
Black Swordsman

Post by Black Swordsman »

Not pre-installed with mint but...https://system76.com/ sells laptops and desktops made just for Linux (pre-installed with POP_OS or Ubuntu 18.04). You can also select the hardware that you want in the computer (most of the ones I have looked at use 8th gen intel cpu and nvidia 1060-1080 gpu's.
Snafu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Snafu »

Any smaller computer store, not a chain that just sells whats on the shelf, but a smallish business will provide much better customer service. Find one near you and go in and ask. They will most likely be willing to install any OS you choose if you buy a computer from them. It isn't the cheapest way to buy though, customer service comes at a cost
When all else fails follow the instructions
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

These days Linux runs on pretty much everything. You can probably just pick whatever hardware you like, and Linux will run on it just fine.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
octathlon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by octathlon »

My brother got one from Eight Virtues several years ago and was quite happy with it.
Full-time Linux user since 2007, Mint since 2014
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

turtlebay wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:45 pm When I bought a Dell laptop, within three minutes of starting it I was into the BIOS settings, changed them to boot from a CD first, then booted off a Mint DVD and removed Windows completely.
Did you have any problems with UEFI w/Secure boot? It wasn't quite as easy with Dell & the newer BIOS's.

Dell sells pre-installed Ubuntu or Redhat on some machines. Since LM is based on Ubuntu, I would think installing LM would be fine (i.e., hardware supported, etc). We have a local shop in town that will install any distro on a machine they sell. system76.com seems to install its' own distro or Ubuntu. I wonder if you called, if they would install LM. In association with ThinkPenguin, Linux Mint features the following computers.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

I recommend you consider a slightly different option - assemble your own. Anyone who has replaced an optical drive, added memory, or swapped out a power supply knows the inside of a desktop case is not scary.

Start with a case that allows your hands to move around, I like the mid tower atx size. Select a motherboard/cpu combination that fits your needs. Most relatively basic motherboards already incorporate video, audio, and ethernet so what remains are things like how many sata ports do you want? Or usb ports?

Assembling your own means you decide if you want the case to hold multiple hard drives. Or if you wish to have a front panel card reader, etc.

The most difficult part, for me at least, was connecting the various wires from the case. Aging eyes needing different glasses and on occasion a magnifying glass.

In the end your new machine will truly be your new machine
oxygenfarm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by oxygenfarm »

'HP machines can be difficult with Linux'.....I've had several recycled HP Elitebooks (heavy business laptop) and had no problem installing/using Mint Mate...but was confused at all the (important) gadgets on the machine which an ordinary guy didn't need: docking, fingerprint, firewire, etc.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

some of those older HP PCs were an issue, as they "used all partitions"
and thus it was tricky to install another system - - but not impossible.

the machines that do seem to work well are those Lenovo's - - which all of mine are.

it's worth noting, that most older PCs do work well with any Linux conversion,
- - anything that had win-6 / win-7 will work quite well indeed.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

Captain Brillo wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:44 pm HP machines can be difficult with Linux if you're going to re-purpose a Windows PC.
(bad experiences here.)
I got an HP Compaq Elite 8300 running Linux Mint just fine.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
ScotchMist

Post by ScotchMist »

Captain Brillo wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:44 pm HP machines can be difficult with Linux if you're going to re-purpose a Windows PC.
(bad experiences here.)
Tell me about it... :D
whm1974
Level 4
Level 4

Post by whm1974 »

chiefjim wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:31 am I recommend you consider a slightly different option - assemble your own. Anyone who has replaced an optical drive, added memory, or swapped out a power supply knows the inside of a desktop case is not scary.

Start with a case that allows your hands to move around, I like the mid tower atx size. Select a motherboard/cpu combination that fits your needs. Most relatively basic motherboards already incorporate video, audio, and ethernet so what remains are things like how many sata ports do you want? Or usb ports?

Assembling your own means you decide if you want the case to hold multiple hard drives. Or if you wish to have a front panel card reader, etc.

The most difficult part, for me at least, was connecting the various wires from the case. Aging eyes needing different glasses and on occasion a magnifying glass.

In the end your new machine will truly be your new machine
This in my view is the best way to go, but always do your research before buying a bunch of parts.
turtlebay

Post by turtlebay »

lmuserx4849 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:19 am
turtlebay wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:45 pm When I bought a Dell laptop, within three minutes of starting it I was into the BIOS settings, changed them to boot from a CD first, then booted off a Mint DVD and removed Windows completely.
Did you have any problems with UEFI w/Secure boot? It wasn't quite as easy with Dell & the newer BIOS's.
It didn't have UEFI/secure boot in the days of Win 7.

Return to “Beginner Questions”