Backing Up on Cinnamon, Restore on MATE?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dominimmiv

Backing Up on Cinnamon, Restore on MATE?

Post by dominimmiv »

I have been using Linux Mint for several years, mainly MATE. I moved to Cinnamon 18.3 64 bit several months ago and I find I miss prefer MATE. I am waiting until MATE 19 comes out to go back to MATE. However a question. If I back-up everything in 18.3 Cinnamon will it restore properly in MATE 19? I really don't want to manually reinstall everything again....not do I want to dual boot.

Thank YOu! :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Backing Up on Cinnamon, Restore on MATE?

Post by catweazel »

dominimmiv wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:37 pm I really don't want to manually reinstall everything again....
Take a look at Aptik.

http://www.teejeetech.in/p/aptik.html
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
dominimmiv

Post by dominimmiv »

thanks!
Snafu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Snafu »

I moved from cinnamon to Mate a few days ago using Aptik to transfer my stuff. It worked for the most part except, predictably, for some desktop settings.
When all else fails follow the instructions

Return to “Beginner Questions”