Forgot disk crypt password

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Lukejarvis1
Level 1
Level 1

Forgot disk crypt password

Post by Lukejarvis1 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:03 am

I installed the os last night via usb. I chose to encrypt the disk and the password I typed isn't working.
I'm okay with having to reinstall the os but how would I do that of I can't even get in
Any help would be greatly appreciated

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Forgot disk crypt password

Post by xenopeek » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:15 am

Welcome to the Linux Mint forums.

If you've already checked that it's not a problem with capslock being on or not, then unfortunately there's no way to recover the password. Picking a more memorable password may be advisable for next time, see https://xkcd.com/936/. Was your installation in English? In the past there have been problems with people using non-English keyboard layouts, where keys pressed during installation would not map to the same characters as during the boot password entry.

If you only have Linux Mint installed on this computer you can just install it again and tick the box to use the entire disk. It will delete the previous installation. You may to go into your BIOS to set the boot order so that it boots first from your USB thumb drive. Most BIOSes default to booting first from the hard disk if an operating system is installed. You can usually enter the BIOS by pressing F2 or DEL shortly after powering on your computer. Likely a message is shortly shown on screen to that effect just after powering on the computer.

Return to “Newbie Questions”