[Resolved] Ethernet on an Intel 8th generation mobo is not working

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ineuw
Level 5
Level 5

[Resolved] Ethernet on an Intel 8th generation mobo is not working

Post by ineuw »

Not knowing if this issue belongs to the hardware, installation, drivers, or the networking forums, I decided that this would be the best place to post it.

Purchased an 8th generation Intel Pentium with a GIGABYTE B360 AORUS motherboard and installed Linux 18.3 64bit, but I can't get the Ethernet connection working. I tested the cable on another desktop and it is working fine. To me this means that LM18.3 might be missing the Ethernet driver for this motherboard???
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Desktop: Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 English Edge - Desktop: Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 French
Laptop: Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 English - as of 24-04-15
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Ethernet on an Intel 8th generation mobo is not working

Post by thx-1138 »

...you haven't specified:
1)...when on Live Mode, before installing it - did you checked if it worked in the first place or not?
2)...alternatively - does Wireless work?
3) inxi -Fxz for exact configuration details.

Short answer: you'll most probably be better served with Mint 19 Beta for an easy out-of-the-box experience.
That's what i'd try myself to avoid lots of fiddling around...

Long answer: 8th gen needs at least 4.13 kernel (Mint 18.3 comes with 4.10). Kernel 4.15 is actually even more recommended.
More than likely, you will also probably further need to update linux-firmware.
With inxi -Fxz results, chances are that people around can make more specific suggestions, if you select to go this route...
ineuw
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Ethernet on an Intel 8th generation mobo is not working

Post by ineuw »

thx-1138 wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:08 am ...you haven't specified:
1)...when on Live Mode, before installing it - did you checked if it worked in the first place or not?
2)...alternatively - does Wireless work?
3) inxi -Fxz for exact configuration details.

Short answer: you'll most probably be better served with Mint 19 Beta for an easy out-of-the-box experience.
That's what i'd try myself to avoid lots of fiddling around...

Long answer: 8th gen needs at least 4.13 kernel (Mint 18.3 comes with 4.10). Kernel 4.15 is actually even more recommended.
More than likely, you will also probably further need to update linux-firmware.
With inxi -Fxz results, chances are that people around can make more specific suggestions, if you select to go this route...
Thanks for the advice. In live mode, neither LM 18.3 nor 19 beta worked with either connection types, but when installed, the Realtek RT8192C USB WiFi dongle works, albeit unreliably in either LM versions because the required update (which I have on hand) is not possible to install without Ethernet. After seeing all manner of issues propping up with LM 18.3, I ended up installing Linux 19 Beta, and I am in the process of trying to install the Intel Linux Ethernet and WiFi drivers, since everything is Intel. The chipset is Intel B360, the Ethernet and WiFi are both Intel. I looked at the LM 19 inxi report and it shows that it neither WiFi or Ethernet exists at this point, so I will post it a bit later with more info. What is offsetting the frustration is that the OS installation is insanely fast: 5 minutes for a complete install of either versions.
Desktop: Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 English Edge - Desktop: Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 French
Laptop: Linux Mint Cinnamon 21.3 English - as of 24-04-15

Return to “Beginner Questions”