On-Line banking

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KMHGeorge

On-Line banking

Post by KMHGeorge »

I am new to Linux and want to move my banking to Linux. I am sorry if this has come up before, is there a Linux equivalent software to quicken? I live in the middle of BF nowhere and must do most of my bill paying, banking, etc on-line. I would greatly appreciate any assistance.

KMHGeorge
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
michael louwe

Re: On-Line banking

Post by michael louwe »

KMHGeorge wrote:.
Please refer to ... https://alternativeto.net/software/quicken/
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

There's a bunch of alternatives https://alternativeto.net/software/quic ... form=linux but which features specifically do you need.

HomeBank and Skrooge can import from Quicken, as can probably many of the other alternatives. I don't think any of these will interface with your bank though, at least they didn't here in the Netherlands.So you likely will have to use your bank's secure website for doing payments and downloading account statements. Check in what file format you can download account statements from your bank and use that as first filter for which programs to try.
KMHGeorge

Post by KMHGeorge »

Yes, I will need to import my current quicken files. I keep all my credit cards transactions, bank balances in quicken. I use the register function to forecast my income and bills to ensure I don't go over budget and have money available if needed.

Thanks for all your assistance. :D
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Post by tenfoot »

Give KMyMoney a try. Just install it from Synaptic.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
Terryphi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Terryphi »

I have Quicken running on Wine in Mint.
Version: LM 21.3 64bit Mate "If something is worth doing, it is worth doing for free."
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

- Quicken Migration to GnuCash
- Notes on banks - OFX
- Gnucash has an active & helpful mailing list gnucash-user
- GnuCash Tutorial and Concepts Guide

Best bet is to try the recommendations from this thread.

There is also the spreadsheet route (libreoffice calc).

I know folks who have successfully migrated to GnuCash from Quicken. I have played with it (exported from Quicken/imported to GnuCash), but Quicken allowed me to do some things with accounts, so I'm actually going back to Quicken and making the necessary changes so my import is clean. Now that I know better, I prefer GnuCash. I manually enter data, as I have the info, and just reconcile. I have an Internet browser (firefox) & app open at at the same time. If I need anything more, I just download the data in csv format and open in Calc.

FYI: GnuCash can also run on Windows.
Boca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Boca »

tenfoot wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:02 pm Give KMyMoney a try. Just install it from Synaptic.
KMyMoney gets my vote. Functionally, I found this to be the best-fit to Quicken.

I had been using Quicken since 94 but changed to KMyMoney about 4 years ago; the transfer of transactions was "relatively" trouble-free and the learning curve on the new software was not that steep.

Tony
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

Another vote for Kmymoney. Really liked Quicken right up until the sunset provision programmed in by Intuit took hold. Made me seriously look around for alternatives.

Found Kmymoney was easier to navigate and had more of the features suited to me. And no sunset provision!

Now if I could just find a TurboTax alternative I'd really be happy.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi KMHGeorge,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

+1 for KMyMoney, HomeBank, Skrooge, gnucash, economize, etc... there are more in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" as well.

You are correct, there are really good posts on this topic already in this forum.

Previous posts: On-Line banking
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=264761&hilit=online+banking

Simple personal finance program wanted - has other links too.
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=246010&hilit=scrooge

To "chiefjim" and others, there are also TurboTax alternatives as well and posts on that too, search for "turbotax".

Open Tax Solver
http://opentaxsolver.sourceforge.net/index.html

Linux Mint Forums search
search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=topics&author_id=133403
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

phd21 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:46 pm
To "chiefjim" and others, there are also TurboTax alternatives as well and posts on that too, search for "turbotax".

Open Tax Solver
http://opentaxsolver.sourceforge.net/index.html

Thanks for the info on Open Tax Solver. Definitely worth learning more about.

Fingers crossed that the new tax laws here in the U.S.A. will remove the need to use tax software at all.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

chiefjim wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:13 pm
Thanks for the info on Open Tax Solver. Definitely worth learning more about.

Fingers crossed that the new tax laws here in the U.S.A. will remove the need to use tax software at all.
I too am in hopes this is done, but just can't see Big Brother ever releasing their fingers from our checkbook.

a flat tax at point of sale is all that is needed, the IRS and its' rules needs to be abolished.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Beginner Questions”