seamonkey browser problems

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
bosun
Level 1
Level 1

seamonkey browser problems

Post by bosun » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:28 pm

With all of the nonsense MS is pulling with Win7 & WinX, I'm back to trying to understand linux. Dual booting Win7, WinX, Ubuntu (two distros) and Mint 18.1. Tried 18.3 but preferring 18.3. Anyway, Seamonkey is my browser of choice. Using NoScript, Ghostery, Ad-block Plus, a host file, etc. No problems with pop-ups,ads, redirects, etc with Windows. In Mint I added extensions/plug-ins for NoScript, ghostery, ad Block. These are enabled according to my browser, but do not show up in my browser and are not working. All of the garbage showing up is really annoying. I try to follow a link and Google opens up wanting all sorts of things. Hopefully the gentle reader can understand me and have some ideas. TIA!

Pierre
Level 17
Level 17

Re: seamonkey browser problems

Post by Pierre » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:07 pm

from memory - - both SeaMonkey & PaleMoon have issues with some FF add-ons,
and so they don't work too well at all.

what you could do, is to experiment with using Firefox and those add-ons to see what is of benefit to you,
and then transfer a smaller amount of those add-ons back to SeaMonkey itself.

also from memory, both SeaMonkey & PaleMoon are supposed to be a cut-down or Classic Version
of Firefox for those who now have issues with the way that the Firefox project is heading.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Moem
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moem » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:15 am

Odd... I have had no such problems with SeaMonkey. I'm using Noscript, HTTPSEverywhere, uBlock Origin (and some interface stuff). All working.

Have you tried Waterfox? It's closer to Firefox.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

bosun
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bosun » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:13 am

Thanks folks. I use Seamonkey because I feel it is more user friendly than Firefox, even though both are branches of Netscape (I'm old). I just can't understand why the above programs don't work with my copy of Seamonkey. Used the Linux compiled 64 bit version from the Seamonkey page. Going thru the software forum, picked up some advice on other programs, just installed U Block origin, thinking of Privacy Possum. Thanks again..john

Return to “Newbie Questions”