Access tf o store disk for User and superuser

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kkonrad002

Access tf o store disk for User and superuser

Post by kkonrad002 »

Hello!

I have Linux mint and I found some trouble.
I have external usb disk with data (not with the system). When Linux start I can use it straight away (I have icon on desktop).
I done 2 accounts : one for administrator and second for user.
It depend on which I will login first those have access to the usb disk. Even administrator haven't got access if it login as second.
So:
1. If "user" login first - he have access and if I logout and login as administrator - the administrator haven't got access
2. If administrator login as first - he have access to usb drive but if I logout administrator or switch user - user have no access to the usb hard drive.
3. All can be restarted by switching off computer and reload Linux. But the problem seems to not disappeared.

I think something could be with administrating - but I am new to Linux and I would like to know if somebody would like to explain.

With Regards
Konrad
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Access tf o store disk for User and superuser

Post by all41 »

It's a pain for sure.
So you have to unmount, eject, or safely remove drive before log off,
and then after logging in as different user unplug and replug the device.
Rinse, repeat, before each user change.
There must be a mysterious reason for not automatically unmounting external storage
when logging out--but I can't imagine
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Beginner Questions”