Failed trying to mount old data DVD (Joliet FS)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
spooky130u

Failed trying to mount old data DVD (Joliet FS)

Post by spooky130u »

Simple question, I hope.... I'm trying to get data off of some old (ca. 2000) data DVDs written using Joliet. I'm getting the following error (via dmesg):

[509525.300920] ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 1
[509525.300931] ISOFS: changing to secondary root
[509525.300938] ISOFS: Interleaved files not (yet) supported.
[509525.300939] ISOFS: File unit size != 0 for ISO file (2368)

My question is, I hope, a simple yes/no answer. Are there any updated drivers I can install that will provide support for these DVDs?

If so, where would I find them? If not, what do I need to monitor to find out when (yet) becomes now?

Thanks,
--jim
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Failed trying to mount old data DVD (Joliet FS)

Post by ralplpcr »

I don't have a direct answer for you, but I'm curious if you've checked whether you can still see the data on a Windows machine? Since you stated it's a "data DVD", I'm presuming that you burned it yourself. The lifespan of those early "burned" disks was only around 20-25 years, if I remember correctly.... and that's under ideal storage conditions. Exposure to sun, heat, cold, etc can significantly reduce that lifespan.

So I guess what I'm saying is "are you sure that the data on there is still good?" It might be worth taking your DVD over to a Windows machine to check - - as far as I know, there has been support for Joliet file systems in Linux for nearly 10 years.... but it has to be enabled in the kernel. I don't believe Mint's kernel enables it by default - - or at least, it doesn't appear to be on my system.

Joliet support can also be added via a separate module, but I don't have a lot of information about that. While it may be interesting to try & figure that out, I'm afraid your fastest option might just be to use a Windows system to get your files.

https://www.linux.com/forums/storage/ho ... em-support
spooky130u

Post by spooky130u »

Yes, I burned the disks myself, in the time period between 2000 and 2002. I have kept them in the same containers blanks come in for their protection, as well as keeping them inside (not out in the hot sun, etc.). Sadly, I don't have access to any other system. I HAD a Mac, but it died. The laptop I'm using HAD Windows 7, but it was completely locked up (I got it from my doctor, so there were no doubt HIPPA (sp?) issues that required it to be locked. By locked, btw, I mean there was no access to the extremely limited portions of windows that remained---it was a scaled down system meant only for one or two medical applications. In other words, unusable as a windows system. I'll look into the modules (I think you said modules, as opposed to updates, etc.) to add Joliet support and see if that helps.

And to answer the question as to whether or not I'm sure that the data is still good.... All of the non-Joliet data DVDs seem to be fine (they all read w/o issue). So I'm well over 99% certain that it's a Joliet support issue, but there is always the possibility that it's just a coincidence that only the Joliet disks are damaged. I would consider that not only a coincidence, but a huge stretch of the imagination, but it is possible. Perhaps Joliet filesystems on DVDs/CDs are more vulnerable than straight ISO 9660; I honestly don't know enough about either to know the probabilities there.

Thanks,
--jim
spooky130u

Post by spooky130u »

UPDATE: I just mounted another Joliet disc ... and it worked. It's not Joliet...it's apparently the third line in the error:

[509525.300938] ISOFS: Interleaved files not (yet) supported

That line, and the last one that followed it, do not appear in dmesg from when I mounted that one. And I'm definitely not clear on what "Interleaved files" are. But that *appears* to be the issue based on this DVD, that did mount.

This part of the errors is showing up on all of them:

[516659.551167] Buffer I/O error on dev sr0, logical block 2211298, async page read
[516663.878991] sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] tag#14 FAILED Result: hostbyte=DID_OK driverbyte=DRIVER_SENSE
[516663.878998] sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] tag#14 Sense Key : Hardware Error [current]
[516663.879003] sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] tag#14 Add. Sense: Track following error
[516663.879009] sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] tag#14 CDB: Read(10) 28 00 00 21 bd e3 00 00 01 00
[516663.879012] blk_update_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 8845196
[516663.879022] Buffer I/O error on dev sr0, logical block 2211299, async page read

But this is the bit that's different for the DVD that's working:

[516664.630944] ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 1
[516664.631923] ISOFS: changing to secondary root

vs the ones that are not working:

[509525.300920] ISO 9660 Extensions: Microsoft Joliet Level 1
[509525.300931] ISOFS: changing to secondary root
[509525.300938] ISOFS: Interleaved files not (yet) supported.
[509525.300939] ISOFS: File unit size != 0 for ISO file (2368)

So, does that help solve the mystery, or make it more foggy? I'm WAY out of my league when it comes to CD/DVD filesystems.

Thanks,
--jim
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

try an older live linux https://archiveos.org/linux/ i was impressed by arch based Apricity OS
spooky130u

Post by spooky130u »

I'll do that, thanks. Probably not right away, though, as I need to get back to the very reason my doc gave me this laptop, now that I've got the important stuff (not old avi files) setup and running (vsftpd was a failure, but ftpd worked in nothing flat). After I get my latest products online, I'll be able to blow some more time (today was a recovery day after spending so much time configuring this, that, etc., recovering bookmarks for Firefox (not done yet), figuring out why extensions in both Firefox and Thunderbird quit working on versions where they're still supposed to work, and so on). Tomorrow, it has to be back to work and getting product photos done and post-processed, writing product pages (the most difficult part), and then getting them online on all three storefront sites.

But the idea to use other live thumb drives is a great one. Thanks! Sooner or later, one of the distributions should probably be able to read these and store them to my 1.5 TB Media partition on an external USB3 (plugged into a laptop that only does USB2) 2 TB drive.
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

Joliet is an addition to the ISO9660 standard... there will be an 8.3 msdos-style version of the file-system. You can try forcing linux to only use ISO9660...
sudo mount -t iso9660 -o nojoliet,norock /dev/sr0 $HOME/Public
...on my Mint19 the options don't have any effect though :(

The ddrescue command can duplicate a drive or optical disk without needing to decode the file system, it just reads the blocks. If there are damaged blocks, it works around them to get at the intact residue.

sudo apt-get install gddrescue sdparm ### Install the commands.

sudo sdparm -c RRC /dev/sr0 ### Clear the optical drive's Read Retry Count until the next power-cycle.

ddrescue -b 2048 /dev/sr0 image001.iso image001.log ### Make a file image of the optical medium.

If the disk is intact you don't need to wait for very long but it still takes tens-of-minutes to read a DVD. The image is as good as the original for mounting, and much easier to backup. If the disk is badly written, or faded, or scratched, the hard-to-read blocks will slow down the copy, it can take hours.

It's a feature of storage drives that they never knowingly[+] present damaged data. If a block fails the drive's internal integrity check, you can't get at any of it. So your file-image may have gaps.

[+] There's always a chance that a damaged block has the same checksum as the undamaged block and you get rubbish data with no error reported. Two improbable things have to happen at the same time though...
(block-is-damaged) AND (damaged-block-looks-intact)
...it takes (guess) hundreds of hours of continuous reading for that to happen.
spooky130u

Post by spooky130u »

I went as far as mounting it, and now it's showing files, so I'm copying them in the background...I can figure out the right filenames later.

Thanks,
--jim
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi spooky130u,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

You can also try installing "udftools" (right-click select recommended and suggested packages), "fuse", "fusiso", "fuseiso9660", "genisoimage", from the Synaptic Package Manager SPM and restarting; some of these may already be installed. "Acetoneiso" is another great application. Then see if you can access the DVD/CD disc using your file manager.

Hope this helps ...
udftools.jpg
dvd_stuff.jpg
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
spooky130u

Post by spooky130u »

I'll keep that in mind. Most of the discs, as it turned out, were fine, and I got the other two by mounting the discs as above. That, obviously, gave me 8.3 garbage filenames, so I had to find out which was what, and rename them, but that turned out to be simple, too. Since then, no problems restoring old backup stuff in the background while I'm working on real, current stuff for my online eCommerce business. :-) Just change discs, copy to the directory the content belongs in, use a script (seconds to modify using vim for each new disc), run script, umount disc, eject, and start over. Using three xterms to do that while in a few others working. :-)

Anyone here want to volunteer to help write product pages with great SEO? :-) Just kidding..... :-)
Thanks, everyone,
--jim

Return to “Beginner Questions”