[Solved] Cant delete partion or flag

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
silvatech
Level 3
Level 3

[Solved] Cant delete partion or flag

Post by silvatech »

This is really strange. I have an SSD and a regular HD I partition at the same time. Partitions on the HD are performing as expected. The partition on the SSD wont give me the options to flag it and I cant delete the partition either!!! I have tried doing this through my current mint OS as well as booting up mint off of a flash drive and I get the same issue. Any clue what would cause this?

edit

if I run in terminal I get this odd error.

sudo fdisk /dev/sdb

Welcome to fdisk (util-linux 2.27.1).
Changes will remain in memory only, until you decide to write them.
Be careful before using the write command.

/dev/sdb: device contains a valid 'ext4' signature; it is strongly recommended to wipe the device with wipefs(8) if this is unexpected, in order to avoid possible collisions

Device does not contain a recognized partition table.
Created a new DOS disklabel with disk identifier 0x0dc06af8.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
silvatech
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Cant delete partion or flag

Post by silvatech »

Really strange even though it was showing a partition in gnome part as well as disk part. It was not showing in fdisk. Creating it through fdisk seem to correct the issue go figure!
Mute Ant

Re: [Solved] Cant delete partion or flag

Post by Mute Ant »

"...dev/sdb: device contains a valid 'ext4' signature..." Somehow you managed to make a "Super Floppy". That's when the first sector of a file system is on the first sector of a drive -----> no partition table -----> gparted can't edit a partition record that simply isn't there. Neither can fdisk, but you get a better hint that there's something funny going on.

If you know you are going to wipe the drive anyway, manually writing zeroes to the first few megabytes will clear nearly everything partition-related without the delay of a full secure-erase. It doesn't necessarily wipe RAID signatures or GPT backup tables, which get put at the other end of the drive, in case of accidents.

Return to “Beginner Questions”