can not turn off screen saver

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Werafa

can not turn off screen saver

Post by Werafa »

Hi all,
Just installed linux for the first time (Cinamon).
first problem is, I can not wake the computer up after the screen saver kicks in.

I have the LM logo and the clock. I have no mouse, and no keyboard input is recognised. My only option is to do a hard reset and reboot. can anyone tell me what to do?

Thanks
Werafa
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Werafa

Re: can not turn off screen saver

Post by Werafa »

a bit more info,
mint ver is 18.3
comp is Toshiba satelite pro A200

install is a clean install on a blank disk
Snafu
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Snafu »

When all else fails follow the instructions
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

Generally I prefer to manually suspend and don't like automated power management or screensaver/locker. I disable power management in Cinnamon with a panel applet, right-click Panel / Add Applets / install "Inhibit Applet" - you can then left-click the panel applet to disable power management and/or notifications. I have not found a way to make the settings permanent, so have to manually toggle power management off after rebooting. Screensaver / Locker can be disabled in System Settings - the second tab gets rid of password protection, etc. The protective features may be wanted if the PC is left in an exposed place, but I don't need them.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.

Return to “Beginner Questions”