window tearing on intel machine with intel microcode

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Arashka
Level 1
Level 1

window tearing on intel machine with intel microcode

Post by Arashka » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:47 am

Hey everybody,

I bought a new Laptop a few weeks ago and installed Linux Mint 18.3. MATE (64-bit) on it.

I have some troubles with window tearing and graphics glitches since the very beginning and the laptop seems to be a little slow.
(Clicking on the menu takes a few seconds to actually load it.)

Here are the overall specs (inxi):

Code: Select all

CPU~Quad core Intel Pentium N4200 (-MCP-) speed/max~1436/2500 MHz Kernel~4.13.0-45-generic x86_64 Up~7 min Mem~1118.1/3231.2MB HDD~1000.2GB(3.3% used) Procs~176 Client~Shell inxi~2.2.35  
And the graphics specs (inxi -G):

Code: Select all

Graphics:  Card: Intel Device 5a84
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 driver: intel
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.02hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 505 (Broxton)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.2.8
Here's the things I've already tried:
  1. making and configuring /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf as recommended in this https://sn0v.wordpress.com/2013/12/17/s ... tu-xfce-4/.
    1. with the Option "TearFree" "true"
    2. with different acceleration methods (sda and uxa)
  2. I have run the laptop with and without the intel microcode driver
  3. I have changed a few settings in CCSM as recommended in a post I haven't bookmarked, sadly.
  4. I installed another window manager than CCSM (which sadly I didn't remember, either)
The problems are most obvious when I'm playing a game (Teslagrad, 2013).

If you have any suggestions or even questions, I'd be happy to hear them and provide you with anything you need. :)

Best,
Arashka

karlchen
Level 18
Level 18

Re: window tearing on intel machine with intel microcode

Post by karlchen » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:01 pm

Hello, Arashka.

On Ubuntu 18.04 Mate, I have got rid of display problems by switching the windows manager from Marco (Compositing) to Marco (Compton) in the Mate Tweak tool.
Not only did this resolve the display problems, which I had experienced in particular when using Firefox with hardware acceleration enabled. (heavy screen flickering)
Switching to Marco (Compton) also solved the issue that after my external monitor had returned from standby the Mate screen display would remain black and would never display the unlock dialogue.
Of course, I cannot promise that what worked for me will work on your system, too. Yet, I guess it is worth a try.

Best regards,
Karl
Old bugs good, new bugs bad! Updates are evil: might fix old bugs and introduce no new ones.

Arashka
Level 1
Level 1

Re: window tearing on intel machine with intel microcode

Post by Arashka » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:59 pm

Hi Karl,

first of all, thank you so much for coming back to me so quickly.

My graphic problems are less obvious now, but still somewhat present.
But I can live with that. I am happy about the improvement, thank you!

Before I close this, is it bad for my hardware if I fiddle with the window settings of MATE tweak?
If it is harmless, I can fiddle a little more to find my perfect settings.

Best,
Arashka

Return to “Newbie Questions”