[SOLVED] Linux Mint won't boot into a GUI Desktop Environment

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
IonParticles
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Linux Mint won't boot into a GUI Desktop Environment

Post by IonParticles »

Hello Linux Mint community,

Recently I have installed the x64 18.3 Cinnamon version of Linux Mint along with a dual boot of Windows 10 (just in case something goes wrong). The installation was successful and quick. I really enjoyed the Cinnamon desktop environment, yet discovered that when changing resolutions, the screen would freeze and I would have to reboot into Mint again. I then decided to try another stable desktop environment, KDE.

I used this guide to help me:
http://omgfoss.com/install-kde-plasma-u ... inux-mint/

Once I installed KDE, I logged out of Cinnamon and....... what follows is a black screen with a blinking underscore in the top left corner of the screen. I followed multiple guides, but none helped me. I accessed GRUB to edit boot configs with 'e', deleted 'quiet splash' , but that takes me to only the terminal mode of Linux Mint. Also, booting from the recovery mode presents the terminal as well. Pressing Ctrl-Alt-F8/F7 to switch to graphical mode has no effect. Trying to launch startx results in 'command not found'. I attempted to install mdm to no avail, yet interestingly, GUI appears after boot stating that "xserver failed to start". This was as far as I could go.

Summary: Installing a KDE desktop somehow prevented normal GUI boot, and I suspect Xorg was affected. I could not find any forum entries covering my situation, so I decided to make my own. If nothing else works, I guess I'll have to reinstall Linux mint. I will be happy to elaborate on details if I have to. :)

Here are my hardware specs:
CPU:Intel Core i7 8th gen
RAM:16 GB
GRAPHICS:Intel HD 620
Last edited by IonParticles on Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Linux Mint won't boot into a GUI Desktop Environment

Post by jimallyn »

It is not recommended to have more than one desktop environment installed. It used to be common when I started using Linux 16 years ago, but not any more. I don't know how to recover from that, but undoubtedly somebody will.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

Yes Jim. I have been noticing a lot of the newer laptops with EMMC SSD instead of SATA Mostly HP though Windows 10 was near to bricking them as they were approaching 1 year from date of manufacture. The license was expiring. it was absolutely impossible to get into bios If you tricked the laptop into accepting the live flash, the X360 would send you to the MS store to buy the app!!!! One I did get to boot from the live flash and when I began the install the screen went away.
In each case I found recent ASUS scraptops that had the HDD eraces with 4 GB ram for $24 redid the bios and loaded LM18.3 64 cinnamon with no problems. Sent the 1 year old computers in for recycle or rebuild
IonParticles
Level 1
Level 1

Post by IonParticles »

Jimallyn,
I see. I do understand that to simplify the Linux experience I need to set Mint as my primary OS, and I will gladly do so in this case. I reserved Windows in the case Wine does not support a particular program, and create bootable USB Drives when Linux is down.

Tomgin5,
I forgot to list my computer model:
Dell XPS 13 9360
Also, Linux Mint worked normally before I installed KDE
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

the Cinnamon Desktop Environment is the primarily produced system, by the LinuxMint Team
and thus is designed to be used on most modern machines,
it also has the heaviest requirements as well.

the Kde system has less system requirements, and the Mate system has even less requirements, again.
but, your Dell machine should be able to run the Cinnamon system with ease.

the main issue will be that your Dell machine was designed to run the Windows 10 system,
and there may be issues in getting any Linux system to run on that hardware,
but that shouldn't be an impossible task to achieve.

you still can use multiple DEs on the one system, but you can't mix the two heaviest systems,
but rather use one heavier & one lighter grade system - - EG use Cinnamon & Mate together.

it may be easier, at this point, to re-install the Cinnamon system again,
whilst you still have the installation media available to use.

then post back on the forums, what issues that you are still having.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
IonParticles
Level 1
Level 1

Post by IonParticles »

Pierre,
I suspected I'd have to reinstall Mint. I already have the /, swap, and /home partitions set, but can I salvage the data in /home? I have a Wine drive I would like to save, if possible, through the command line. Or could I reuse /home if the Linux Mint installer does not wipe the data?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Yes - - you sure can salvage most of that existing system:
- use the 'something else' option
and point the installer to each existing partition, in turn
- use NoFormat on the existing /home ( uncheck the format box )
- use format on both the / root & /swap partitions ( leave format checked )

then click on next, to format & continue with the re-installation.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
IonParticles
Level 1
Level 1

Post by IonParticles »

Pierre,
I have now reinstalled Linux Mint with the same installation media I used to install Mint the first time. It was a success, I was able to boot into the GUI and login screen. I logged into Cinnamon, reinstalled software, and tested everything out. Here are the results:
Surprisingly, resizing the screen to a higher resolution does not freeze the screen anymore. Yes! :)
......at the cost of sound support with Wine. I was no longer able to hear sound from Wine, claiming that another app was using sound hardware. I believe a quick reboot or Wine reconfiguring should fix that.
That's all I have so far, the rest seems to work the same.
Thanks all for the suggestions.
Caltrop

Re: [SOLVED] Linux Mint won't boot into a GUI Desktop Environment

Post by Caltrop »

had this happen several times
things were working, now they are not
in fact it just happened before I posted this - GAACCCK... :?
especially after being on the Internet, I suspect some kind of attack or file corruption
whatever, some file somewhere got messed up

how I fix:
boot to your Live CD so you can look at everything
find your primary linux drive, sda3, sda6, whatever
open a terminal & run 'fsck /dev/whatever'
answer fsck questions
restart

or if the system boots to the terminal & you know your primary drive
I run 'fsck /dev/sda6'
answer all the questions
turn off the system (hold the power button until off) then turn it back on
I have yet to figure out how to boot from the terminal
I am not sure it will boot right anyway
now I am back up & posting... :D
Chadley B

Post by Chadley B »

Hi all, just wanted to jump in to this conversation, late I know.
So yesterday my Linux Mint 18 started doing this same thing and the only reason I can think of is that I installed Java script and may have messed around with the desktop environment. All I can offer at this stage is that my login doesn't work even when I try ctrl+alt+F2 with my username and password. Any tips or diagnosis appreciated.
hcentaur13

Post by hcentaur13 »

Linux Mint is a distribution that spoends all time of thyre developers to make the distribution better. Mit sis not and will not able to switch the GUI! There are multiple ISOs with different GUIs like cinnamon, MATA and xfce. When you istalls multiple GUIs none of them will be right funkctional anymore. There are other distibutions who spend a significant amount od time of theyr developers only for havbing the possibility to run multipe different GUIs. Mint says it is not worth to spend time for this.

Install Mint cinnamon when you likes it, Mint xfce or mate when you likes them more but none of them together. It will simply not work. Use another distribution if you can't live without that feature!
Sharmanking
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sharmanking »

fsck /dev/sda1, done this in terminal and it works for me. Thanks!

Caltrop wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:35 pm or if the system boots to the terminal & you know your primary drive
I run 'fsck /dev/sda6'
answer all the questions
turn off the system (hold the power button until off) then turn it back on
I have yet to figure out how to boot from the terminal
I am not sure it will boot right anyway
now I am back up & posting... :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”