Installing Linux Mint on Brand New Laptop [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
perplexed_penguin

Installing Linux Mint on Brand New Laptop [SOLVED]

Post by perplexed_penguin »

I am a newbie who installed Linux Mint on an old laptop last month. Well, it has died due to an irreparable hardware issue. However, I had enough of a taste of Linux Mint to know I liked it and want to stick with it.

I have ordered this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079QZ5DD7/ref=

ASUS VivoBook F441

I am mostly only finding examples of people putting Linux onto old laptops to give them new life.

Is there a way, or a set of keys I can hit, to boot directly from USB the very first time I turn this on out of the box? I am just wondering if I can skip going through the motions of installing and setting up windows initially since I want to go full Linux Mint right off.

I recall when installing this last month on my now dead laptop, I had to do a bios change for some uefi setting something something. Didn't know if there was a way to know ahead of time on if that was necessary for this one.

Long story short, I want Linux Mint only on this laptop and don't need or want to leave any space for Windows.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Installing Linux Mint on Brand New Laptop

Post by jimallyn »

Most computers will, during the boot sequence, show "Hit F12 for Boot Menu" or something like that. Some will show "Hit Del for Setup." You may have to go to setup to get it to boot to your USB. Which key you hit for Boot Menu or Setup depends upon brand and model. These pages may be helpful:

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1008277/

https://kb.wisc.edu/showroom/page.php?id=58779

http://www.disk-image.com/faq-bootmenu.htm
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
md419
Level 2
Level 2

Post by md419 »

These were taken from the manual of the ASUS VivoBook Max X441SA ...

BIOS 1.png
BIOS 2.png
BIOS 3.png
perplexed_penguin

Thanks to both of you! It arrives in a couple days. I'll just pop in the thumb drive and give F2 a try on my initial startup and see if I can get it to go :)
perplexed_penguin

Easy as pie. Zero problems getting it installed. I am trying to optimize now, though, and am getting an error:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ly-by-cron

On 8.2 step c, I get an error that says "Could not open the file admin:///etc/systemd/system/fstrim.timer.d/override.conf
And next line says "xed cannot handle admin: locations."

In the next section it gives a simple command to trim manually with the command "sudo fstrim -v /". I did that and it said 220.2 GiB trimmed. Easy enough to run a one-line command once a week.

So is there now a way to uninstall the folder and such that got put in in step 8.2 step a? I figure I have plenty of space, but best to remove things that are not needed if I can.

------------------------------
Now moved on to limit the swap, and when I try "xed admin:///etc/sysctl.conf" and get the same comment about how xed cannot handle admin locations.

This makes me think maybe some other setting is wrong or I missed a step so I am not doing stuff as admin. Any ideas?
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

perplexed_penguin wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:20 pm...........
This makes me think maybe some other setting is wrong or I missed a step so I am not doing stuff as admin. Any ideas?
...if you installed 18.x, the command should be gksudo xed instead of xed admin://
perplexed_penguin

Thanks. I still couldn't get the end result to be what I was looking for, but that resolved that step :D I appreciate your assistance!
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

perplexed_penguin wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:26 pm Thanks. I still couldn't get the end result to be what I was looking for, but that resolved that step :D I appreciate your assistance!
If your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

Return to “Beginner Questions”