Mint 18.3 install hangs after selecting "start Linux Mint"

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
DmLawrence
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 18.3 install hangs after selecting "start Linux Mint"

Post by DmLawrence » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:02 pm

I finally decided to switch to Linux from Windows! When selecting any option on the Welcome to Linux Mint 18.3 MATE 64-bit screen other than mem test or boot from local drive the screen changes to black with a cursor that is unresponsive.

I am using Biostar TA990FXE Mobo, AMD FX-6350 CPU, Radeon R9 280 with 2gb ram GPU, 16gb of RAM. Previously installed OSs include Windows 7 pro 64bit, Kali (old version), and Ubuntu 14.x. Windows 7 still works fine.

I am installing using USB as I do not use CDs. I do not have secure boot options and the boot only works in legacy. When I select UEFI the screen merely flickers black when forced or skips to the next boot device during boot.

When booted in legacy I can get to the option screen after boot. I have attempted nomodeset and nomodset as I have seen in mint/ubuntu forums. This only allows me to see that the some things load at the bottom of the screen. However it flicks over to the black screen with the blinking cursor. When I hold shift during boot same result. I also get this same issue in ubuntu-18.04-desktop-amd64.

I am scratching my head here and I am sorry if this question has been asked. I was unable to find it using google or the ubuntu/mint forums.

Thanks in advanced!

Pierre
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Mint 18.3 install hangs after selecting "start Linux Mint"

Post by Pierre » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:29 pm

that's most likely to be an issue with the AMD Radeon R9 280 card,

some searching has suggested that AMD discontinued support for its Linux driver,
and it isn't compatible (you will break your installation if you attempt to install fglrx on Ubuntu 16.04).

For now, you have to stick with the open source drivers.
- AMD may be releasing a proprietary driver for Linux that works with 16.04, but it probably won't support very many cards.

do have a read of this PDF:
http://www2.ati.com/relnotes/amd-cataly ... ystems.pdf
it doesn't directly help your cause, but gives an idea of what to expect
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

DmLawrence
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 18.3 install hangs after selecting "start Linux Mint"

Post by DmLawrence » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:45 pm

Thank you for the quick response.

Return to “Newbie Questions”