SOLVED/ON HOLD No access to maps etc. after "successful" installation of Mint, dual boot with W10 18.3

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Frans

SOLVED/ON HOLD No access to maps etc. after "successful" installation of Mint, dual boot with W10 18.3

Post by Frans »

Hello, Still a beginner, I have some good experience with Mint 13 and Mint 17.3 on 2 other (older) computers. They "work" fine with former installed documents and pictures etc. from the Windows period on those computers.
But now , I installed Mint 18.3 as dual boot on a Windows 10 (UEFI) laptop, (Had W10 installed from the purchase). The dual boot works fine, both in W10 as in Mint18.3. But apparently Mint has only access to the new maps that I install there using Mint. But I have no access to all the previously installed documentents and pictures etc., from the Windows10-side.
I read in the instructions that a setting might be necessary to force Windows to "release" its "monopoly"-access to all my "old" stuff. Can someone tell me how and where to do that? (I think/hope there is my problem)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: No access to maps etc. after "successful" installation of Mint, dual boot with W10 18.3

Post by Moem »

Maps... I think you mean folders, right? Just trying to help avoid confusion here.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Sir Charles

Re: No access to maps etc. after "successful" installation of Mint, dual boot with W10 18.3

Post by Sir Charles »

Frans wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:09 am But I have no access to all the previously installed documentents and pictures etc., from the Windows10-side.
Hi Frans,

What happens when you try to access the Windows partition through your file manager? Do you get any error messages?
Frans

Post by Frans »

Oops... This is already a quite difficult answer/solution to me. I have no IT-education, but did succesfully install Mint 13 and 17.1 on older computers (32bit). I followed meticulously the instructions from the dutch site (like : https://sites.google.com/site/computertip/7) using copy/paste when instructed, to avoid typing mistakes. And both these PC's work fine on Linux, I still use them as back-up for my pictures f.e.... I had access to my pictures and documents (installed under Windows XP and 7) without any extra action.
Responding to the first helper: folders or maps? I mean my "documents" and "pictures" (i suppose these are folders?)
Somewhere in the dutch instruction, I was recommended to choose 100MB for the Linux partition, if available, to have it working very fluid, but this might have been a little too much? I'll try to reduce it to 50...
But to be honest, as I am no native English speaker, today I posted my problem on the dutch Linux-forum and hope to find help there.
So thanks anyway until now. I will try to find out via file manager and give you an answer asap.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Frans wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:52 am I had access to my pictures and documents (installed under Windows XP and 7) without any extra action.
But you have problems with Windows 10 - make sure you shut Windows 10 down completely WITHOUT the FAST BOOT stuff. (I'm not sure exactly what it's called) The quick-restart feature on Windows 10 leaves its ntfs partitions in a state where linux can't read them - until you completely shut down win10 and reboot linux.
Somewhere in the dutch instruction, I was recommended to choose 100MB for the Linux partition, if available, to have it working very fluid, but this might have been a little too much? I'll try to reduce it to 50...
That sounds....wrong. ?!?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Frans

Post by Frans »

Oops again! The 100MB is 100GB of course. I answered in a hurry, sorry!
Frans

Post by Frans »

@Flemur: No, In windows everything works normal! And in fact, Linux Mint works "normal" too, as far as I use only what I introduced in Linux. So, new document started in Linux can be seen afterwards in Linux. But the stuff (pictures, documenst( that were already present under Windows can not be accessed under Linux...

I do not switch between Linux and Windows without a complete restart. Than the PC starts with the black screen that gives me 10 seconds (or so) to choose under what operating system I choose to start up, with the Linux Mint as first option highlited.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Hi frans
You could try this:
Boot into Windows and disable Fast Startup. You will find instructions as how to do it here:https://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pr ... rtup-mode/ (scroll a bit further down the page). When you are done, perform a complete shutdown this time (no restart).
Next, power up your machine and boot into Mint and check if you can access your Windows partition this time.
Frans

Post by Frans »

Hi Marziano,
This was already done during the preparations, following the dutch site. This was an extra for "original" installed indows10-computers, and thus I did so... I even checked afterwadrs but did not change it.
I don't fully understand your last line: do you mean with "Windows partition" the documents and pictures that I installed under Windows?
I just did a kind of "double check" and found out that new items (document and a picture) made under Linux, have no access via Windows... The problem seems to be reciproke, thus in both directions. Each system on itself seems to be fully operational.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

Frans wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:23 am.....and found out that new items (document and a picture) made under Linux, have no access via Windows...
The problem seems to be reciproke, thus in both directions. Each system on itself seems to be fully operational.
Frans, Windows (no matter the version), cannot read files which reside under Linux partitions / filesystems.
Linux on the other hand though, can read files which reside under Windows-based filesystems, if:
1) the filesystem under Windows was properly shutdown (as per Flemur's & Marziano's instructions above), and...
2) assuming that you first mounted the partition itself somehow (during boot, via the file manager etc).
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Frans wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:23 am I don't fully understand your last line: do you mean with "Windows partition" the documents and pictures that I installed under Windows?
The part of your drive where Windows reside containing, apart from the OS itself, your personal folders/files (Documents. Pictures, etc)
Frans

SOLVED/ON HOLD Re: No access to maps etc. after "successful" installation of Mint, dual boot with W10 18.3

Post by Frans »

Thanks again for your multiple efforts to help me!

I'm encountering some language problems since my former PC's were "technically" in English, so f.e. "file manager" was no problem to find in Windows. But this "new" one (about 3 years old) is in dutch-Windows10, so even the correct translation of "file manager" is "bestandsbeheer", but windows does not seem to know it... ;-( It might surprise you but, even as a native dutch/flemish speaking, I was used to the English terms on a computer, and now finding them in dutch makes it more compicated...)
I did find some windows settings that might need a change. Under the heading "Windows parts to switch on or off" (Windows onderdelen in- of uitschakelen), and the lines I think might need a change is: "support for SMB 1.0/CIFS for sharing of files" (?)

But as it's becoming clear, I think this is becoming a little to IT-technical for me, in addition to the language problem.
As I mentioned in the beginning, I have good experiences with that dutch Mint installation site, that worked out fine: easy downloading and "special" burning of the ISO-file on a dvd. Also warnings to "before" changing the fast boot of windows10 and other stuff in the UEFI.
Further on parrot-like copying and pasting in the terminal to avoid typing errors, and as a result "it works fine" beside of my mentioned problem, what did not occur with my older pc's after the installation of Mint 13.1 and 17.1... So I think it's due to Windows 10; 64 bit and UEFI (the older ones had XP and W7)

"Knowing a lot about something also means knowing where your limits are", and I think that point is near... ;-)
So I am going to change to the Dutch Mint forum. Thanks anyway for your efforts, and when my problem will be solved, I'll let you know here. I will add "SOLVED/ON HOLD" to the title and remove it later on for the final post.

Return to “Beginner Questions”