Popping noise when start up and shutting down

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SpeedyWheels222

Popping noise when start up and shutting down

Post by SpeedyWheels222 »

Whenever I start up or shut down the machine, it makes a loud popping sound I'm running Linux Mint 18.3, however it seems to do it with all distros.
Is there any way of stopping it.
I have a OMEN pc.
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cogier
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Popping noise when start up and shutting down

Post by cogier »

I get this with Mint 18.3 and 19 when closing down. This is on an Intel NUC. It seems to me to be something to do with the sound driver.
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Popping noise when start up and shutting down

Post by mediclaser »

This happens to my old single-core Compaq laptop. I know it has something to do with Linux turning the speaker ON or OFF, because my laptop got an LED to indicate when the sound is ON. The LED turns ON/OFF at the same time as the popping sound. This usually happens on boot up, shut down, or when I disconnect the power cord unless an audio or video is playing (maybe to save on battery?).

It's annoying when the laptop is on battery power and I happen to be watching short YT videos. The speaker makes a popping sound right before a video starts, and immediately after it ends.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)

Return to “Beginner Questions”