How did I get Linux Mint 19 from fresh install? (SOLVED)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tgwilt
Level 3
Level 3

How did I get Linux Mint 19 from fresh install? (SOLVED)

Post by tgwilt »

Recently bought a used computer in very good shape. It had Windows 20 on it, so naturally, I installed Linux Mint Cinnamon. I have burned the version 18.3 iso file to a DVD and installed. Everything worked well, but inxi -F shows that versin 19 is installed. No upgrades were done other than those suggested by the update manager. This does not show version 19 beta, but version 19.

Any ideas how this happened?

Here is the output of inxi -F

<System: Host: Compaq-dc7900 Kernel: 4.15.0-23-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.4 Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Machine: Device: desktop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Compaq dc7900 Small Form FactSystem: Host: Compaq-dc7900 Kernel: 4.15.0-23-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.4 Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara
Machine: Device: desktop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Compaq dc7900 Small Form Factor>

Any advice is appareciated,

Tom Gwilt
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
turtlebay

Re: How did I get Linux Mint 19 from fresh install?

Post by turtlebay »

I am slightly confused, there is no such thing as Windows 20. Did you mean Windows 10?
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, Tom.

Boot the live DVD once more and check the output of inxi -Sxx I'll eat my hat in case inxi will not report that the DVD is Mint 19.
If you had really installed Mint 18.3 on your harddisk, nothing would have turned this into Mint 19 automatically.

HTH,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
tgwilt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tgwilt »

turtlebay wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:17 pm I am slightly confused, there is no such thing as Windows 20. Did you mean Windows 10?
I meant Windows 10. I underwent a traumatic brain injury 4 years ago, and sometimes my fingers and brain disconnect, Sorry for the confusion. It wouldn't matter which version of windows was there, I'm not using it.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

I'm with karl on this one you must have downloaded the beta version of 19 by mistake but since you already have in in there just use it and see how it goes , It' been very stable here.
post the output of inxi here also.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

tgwilt wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:07 pm Recently bought a used computer in very good shape. It had Windows 20 on it, so naturally, I installed Linux Mint Cinnamon. I have burned the version 18.3 iso file to a DVD and installed. Everything worked well, but inxi -F shows that versin 19 is installed. No upgrades were done other than those suggested by the update manager. This does not show version 19 beta, but version 19.

Any ideas how this happened?

I underwent a traumatic brain injury 4 years ago, and sometimes my fingers and brain disconnect, ...
Trust me---it's easy to get confused, even without injury to the brain as you have.

I don't think 19 Beta shows up as beta in the inxi command, just 19.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: How did I get Linux Mint 19 from fresh install? (SOLVED)

Post by Pierre »

that it does - - there's not much, to actually state that it's still in Beta . .
- if it seems to be working okay - then just leave it alone.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Beginner Questions”