How do I check my Linux Mint version number?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Punchy71
Level 3
Level 3

How do I check my Linux Mint version number?

Post by Punchy71 »

Hi,
How do I go about checking which version of Linux Mint I'm currently running on my PC? Also; how do I know I'm receiving OS software updates and security patches, etc.?
Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: How do I check my Linux Mint version number?

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Punchy71.
  1. answer: inxi -Sxx
  2. answer: shield icon in the bottom panel. Check the history. Should tell whether updates have been installed.
    Answers to further basic questions on how to make use of Linux Mint: Official User Guide - Linux Mint 18 :wink:
    Special recommendation: the chapter about "Software Management". :D
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Punchy71
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Punchy71 »

The shield icon in the bottom panel is gone. I think I accidentally deleted it some time ago, and I don't know how to get it back.
Last edited by Punchy71 on Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hi, Punchy71.

You can always launch Update Manager on demand from the Mint Menu => submenu System.
The precise steps on how to re-establish the shield icon permanently in the bottom panel depend on the result of the terminal command inxi -Sxx, i.e. they depend on the desktop environment (Cinnamon, Mate, xfce).

Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Punchy71 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:08 pm The shield icon in the bottom panel is gone. I think I accidentally deleted it some time ago, and I don't know how to get it back.
Check to see if you have the option unchecked in within Update Manager, Edit, Preferences. Uncheck it if it is checked.
Shutter-010.jpg

Also, in Mint's start menu, go to Update Manager and right-click on it. You should get 4 choices - Add to Panel, Add to Desktop, Add to Favorites, Uninstall. Choose Add to Panel.
Shutter-012.jpg
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Oh my god, this is so embarrassing. :oops:
I had never noticed that the right-click context menu of the item "Update Manager" offered the option of "adding to the panel".
It does here as well: Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon.
So adding back the Update Manager shield icon to the panel should be simple.
Lifeline
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

karlchen wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:09 pm Oh my god, this is so embarrassing. :oops:
I had never noticed that the right-click context menu of the item "Update Manager" offered the option of "adding to the panel".
It does here as well: Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon.
So adding back the Update Manager shield icon to the panel should be simple.
In fact, all apps have that feature.

This is why this forum is so great! We all learn from each other.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

OK. So I had totally forgotten about the context menu item "Add to panel", which you can activate for each item in the Mint application menu. Yet, it is not what we are after here. :(
"Add to panel" will only copy the menu launch to the bottom panel, next to the big Mint [Menu] button, i.e. it will create a quick launch icon on the left hand side of the bottom panel.

What we are after, however, is the Update Manager shield icon on the right hand side of the bottom panel, near the date/time display. This shield icon is displayed in a panel applet, named Notification Area or similar.
In case, this applet has been removed from the bottom panel by Punchy71, adding the Update Manager launcher to the quick launch area of the bottom panel will not bring back the Update Manager shield icon and its functionality in the Notification area.

The steps of re-enabling the Notifications applet will be slightly different depending on the desktop environment (Cinnamon, Mate, xfce).

(Click on screenshot to enlarge. Press <alt><cursor left> to return here.)
Lifeline
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Punchy71.
Punchy71 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:36 pmhow do I know I'm receiving OS software updates and security patches, etc.?
Any news on this 2nd question? Is the Update Manager shield icon back to where it belongs? Does Update Manager startup automatically after you have logged in? Is your system up-to-date?

Regards,
Karl
Lifeline
stevemcint

Post by stevemcint »

karlchen wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:58 pm Hello, Punchy71.
  1. answer: inxi -Sxx
  2. answer: shield icon in the bottom panel. Check the history. Should tell whether updates have been installed.
    Answers to further basic questions on how to make use of Linux Mint: Official User Guide - Linux Mint 18 :wink:
    Special recommendation: the chapter about "Software Management". :D
Karl
Answer 1 worked great I was pleasantly surprised I was using Mint distro 19 - thanks
Steve Mc

Return to “Beginner Questions”