Can't view files across partitions

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Caravaggio

Can't view files across partitions

Post by Caravaggio »

Hi all,

I am trying to move some files from my Windows partition to the Mint one. I can freely access the Windows partition and navigate through it with no problem, but most folders are either empty or some files appear to be missing, and I cannot wrap my head around it.
To be more specific, I am looking for some graphic packs added to Football Manager. They are generally .png files and the odd .xlms, but for some reason I can see them. I tried moving back to the Win partition and they are there. Not really sure what's going on here.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mattyboy

Re: Can't view files across partitions

Post by Mattyboy »

What happens if you open the folder and press ctrl + H?
Caravaggio

Post by Caravaggio »

Mattyboy wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:19 pm What happens if you open the folder and press ctrl + H?
It... refreshes? I mean, the icons flash but that's about it.
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

Nah that's just a way of showing hidden folders in Linux.... anything with a dot at the start .folderNAME will be hidden.

You could try in terminal

Code: Select all

ll
add a space then drag a folder into the Window and hit enter, that should list the folder/drives contents. If there are lots of folders and files you could then 'pipe' it into 'less' adding another space after your folder then use the up/down arrow keys to browse. Q to exit.

ll yourFolder | less 
Caravaggio

Post by Caravaggio »

Mattyboy wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:48 pm Nah that's just a way of showing hidden folders in Linux.... anything with a dot at the start .folderNAME will be hidden.

You could try in terminal

ll
add a space then drag a folder into the Window and hit enter, that should list the folder/drives contents. If there are lots of folders and files you could then 'pipe' it into 'less' adding another space after your folder then use the up/down arrow keys to browse. Q to exit.

ll yourFolder | less 
Terminal says

11: command not found
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

Replace ll with.

ls -a
You could also try

cd
hit space, drag the folder into the window and press enter then

find . "*.png" | less
That should search for all .png files in the folder/drive
Pippin
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pippin »

elel
not
oneone
:wink:
I gloomily came to the ironic conclusion that if you take a highly intelligent person and give them the best possible, elite education, then you will most likely wind up with an academic who is completely impervious to reality.
Halton Arp
Caravaggio

Post by Caravaggio »

Pippin wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:01 pm elel
not
oneone
I should really get my eyes checked...
Mattyboy wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:59 pm Replace ll with.

ls -a
You could also try

cd
hit space, drag the folder into the window and press enter then

find . "*.png" | less
That should search for all .png files in the folder/drive
Thank you for the help guys, but neither of these work. I just moved back onto Win and I realised that the folders are on OneDrive, which cannot be accessed from another partition (or perhaps it could, but I just haven't figured out how).
The folders I was looking at are like "ghost copies", same exact folders and names in the same position but with nothing inside. Not really sure why but at least now I can work around that.
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

Pippin wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:01 pm elel
not
oneone
:lol: I missed that..... LL not in "capitals"
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

Caravaggio wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:07 pm I realised that the folders are on OneDrive,
:lol: :lol: oh.. well... there you go.

No worries mate. :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”