(Solved)Pulse Audio issues

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
3hre

Re: Pulse Audio issues

Post by 3hre »

MrEen wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:35 pm I think I may have found something. If you know how to boot to a previous kernel, go ahead and boot to 4.4.0-127 and test your sound. If that works, I'd suggest then uninstalling 4.4.0-128 via Update Manager > View > Linux kernels.
That is probably something I could figure out but if you do not mind would feel more comfortable with a step by step considering the bad things that can happen if not done right
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

It's not something I've ever done and I might miss a step, so to be safe, I'll leave that for others to help with.
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

MrEen wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:35 pm I think I may have found something.
Link (??): [Kernel-packages] [Bug 1777345] [NEW] Sound card not working in Ubuntu new kernel version except reinstall some packages

It seems the bug poster found a solution to the sound, and it should be fixed in the future.
So I try to reinstall the driver modules in Ubuntu like this:

sudo apt-get -y --reinstall install linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-
utils lightdm ubuntu-desktop linux-image-`uname -r` libasound2

And killall the process

sudo killall pulseaudio

The sound card began normal work now.

Also I founded a lot of error log in /var/log/kern.log like this:
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

lmuserx4849 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:15 pm
Link (??
Actually, the OP in this thread has the same card with the same (troublesome) busID and it appears the -128 update is what breaks his/her sound.
3hre

Post by 3hre »

Excellent, this ,at the very least, means that I can sleep tonight and Marziano won't run out of rum!
3hre

Post by 3hre »

:lol: Oh no, I don't tell anyone that. I don't tell people my favorite color without at least 6-8 months of study. Introverting master at your service :D
3hre

Post by 3hre »

Effective today Kernel is updated ~ still no sound
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

3hre wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:39 pm Effective today Kernel is updated ~ still no sound
Does that mean you're back to the previous kernel when sound was working? If so, try this again:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get remove --purge alsa-base
sudo apt-get remove --purge pulseaudio
sudo apt-get install alsa-base
sudo apt-get install pulseaudio
sudo alsa force-reload
And deleting the files in ~/.config/pulse/ again might be a good idea.
3hre

Post by 3hre »

MrEen wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:49 pm
3hre wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:39 pm Effective today Kernel is updated ~ still no sound
Does that mean you're back to the previous kernel when sound was working? If so, try this again:

sudo apt-get remove --purge alsa-base
sudo apt-get remove --purge pulseaudio
sudo apt-get install alsa-base
sudo apt-get install pulseaudio
sudo alsa force-reload
And deleting the files in ~/.config/pulse/ again might be a good idea.

I don't really know to be honest. The problem for me is that it was not something that happened after an update. I was happily listening to videos on youtube when I got a message on my screen saying that if I continued having delays to reboot my system, I did, and when I was loaded back up had no sound, no identifiable sound card, nothing. It was a very eventful 20 seconds and I have absolutely nothing beyond those 20 seconds to go on :/ But I will go do those things in the morning when I am more awake :D
3hre

Post by 3hre »

Also perhaps of some interest/importance I have 2 Ubuntu instances listed and no option to boot from USB
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

3hre wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:02 pm I was happily listening to videos on youtube when I got a message on my screen saying that if I continued having delays to reboot my system
this happens when the connection to youtube is slow, or dns issue, or your router has too much congestion, or anything else you can throw into the slow network pot. not that your connection is slow but sometimes youtube wants to display ads and of you block them , things can get choked up.
i too have had this message and when i do i don't reboot: first i disable/enable networking by way of network tray icon . then i do a quick speed test (the quickest is to search google for isp speed test if speed is ok. if not ok reboot router

in linux you'll notice that if you have chrome open and monitor it with pavucontrol/playback the audio sink will not start unless you are using a tab with sound in it. best way to kickstart hdmi is to have something playing then unplug hdmi and plug back in
3hre

Post by 3hre »

trytip wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:39 am
3hre wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:02 pm I was happily listening to videos on youtube when I got a message on my screen saying that if I continued having delays to reboot my system
this happens when the connection to youtube is slow, or dns issue, or your router has too much congestion, or anything else you can throw into the slow network pot. not that your connection is slow but sometimes youtube wants to display ads and of you block them , things can get choked up.
i too have had this message and when i do i don't reboot: first i disable/enable networking by way of network tray icon . then i do a quick speed test (the quickest is to search google for isp speed test if speed is ok. if not ok reboot router

in linux you'll notice that if you have chrome open and monitor it with pavucontrol/playback the audio sink will not start unless you are using a tab with sound in it. best way to kickstart hdmi is to have something playing then unplug hdmi and plug back in
Someone else had said that too about the slow connection but can you think of a link between that and why my sound ceased to work ~ I think it is coming up on a month now. The only thing I can think of anymore at this point is if there is some button on my keyboard that I hit which mutes or disabled soundcards?
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Did you ever try what's in the lower quote box here? Actually. I'd remove Ubuntu and the kernel first:

sudo apt-get -y --reinstall install linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils libasound2
Link (??): [Kernel-packages] [Bug 1777345] [NEW] Sound card not working in Ubuntu new kernel version except reinstall some packages

It seems the bug poster found a solution to the sound, and it should be fixed in the future.

And killall the process

sudo killall pulseaudio

3hre

Post by 3hre »

MrEen wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:03 pm Did you ever try what's in the lower quote box here? Actually. I'd remove Ubuntu and the kernel first:

sudo apt-get -y --reinstall install linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils libasound2

And killall the process

sudo killall pulseaudio

I have not for two reasons: One, I am terrified of disrupting the kernel not being fully informed of what I am doing ~ likewise with Ubantu removal. Someone in this thread said not to mess with it unless you know all what you are doing, which I do not, and the other reason is that I feel as if I have been such a pain already with this I do not want to have to come back saying I messed another thing up lol

I know this may sound weird/annoying but in order for me to feel fully comfortable doing this I think I need step by step instructions of exactly what to do and a contingency plan of what can go wrong and what to do if that something does go wrong
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Just paste this into the terminal and hit Enter:

If any errors show up, report them back here.

Test sound. While something with sound is playing type the following into the terminal:

aplay -l
and

pacmd list-sinks
Paste the results of those back here as well if the first step didn't get you fixed.
3hre

Post by 3hre »

-base alsa-base alsa-utils libasound2
[sudo] password for wicked:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 5 reinstalled, 0 to remove and 123 not upgraded.
Need to get 0 B/1,836 kB of archives.
After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... 628417 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../alsa-base_1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu5_all.deb ...
Unpacking alsa-base (1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu5) over (1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu5) ...
Preparing to unpack .../alsa-utils_1.1.0-0ubuntu5_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking alsa-utils (1.1.0-0ubuntu5) over (1.1.0-0ubuntu5) ...
Preparing to unpack .../libasound2_1.1.0-0ubuntu1_i386.deb ...
Unpacking libasound2:i386 (1.1.0-0ubuntu1) over (1.1.0-0ubuntu1) ...
Preparing to unpack .../libasound2_1.1.0-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libasound2:amd64 (1.1.0-0ubuntu1) over (1.1.0-0ubuntu1) ...
Preparing to unpack .../linux-sound-base_1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu5_all.deb ...
Unpacking linux-sound-base (1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu5) over (1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu5) ...
Processing triggers for systemd (229-4ubuntu21.1) ...
Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-19) ...
ureadahead will be reprofiled on next reboot
Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.5-1) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.23-0ubuntu10) ...
Setting up linux-sound-base (1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu5) ...
Setting up alsa-base (1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu5) ...
Setting up libasound2:amd64 (1.1.0-0ubuntu1) ...
Setting up libasound2:i386 (1.1.0-0ubuntu1) ...
Setting up alsa-utils (1.1.0-0ubuntu5) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.23-0ubuntu10) ...
wicked@wickedwebpet310-15IKB ~ $ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: CX20751/2 Analog [CX20751/2 Analog]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]
wicked@wickedwebpet310-15IKB ~ $ pacmd list-sinks
1 sink(s) available.
* index: 0
name: <alsa_output.pci-0000_00_1f.3.analog-stereo>
driver: <module-alsa-card.c>
flags: HARDWARE HW_MUTE_CTRL HW_VOLUME_CTRL DECIBEL_VOLUME LATENCY DYNAMIC_LATENCY
state: RUNNING
suspend cause:
priority: 9959
volume: front-left: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB, front-right: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB
balance 0.00
base volume: 65536 / 100% / 0.00 dB
volume steps: 65537
muted: no
current latency: 24.93 ms
max request: 4 KiB
max rewind: 64 KiB
monitor source: 0
sample spec: s16le 2ch 48000Hz
channel map: front-left,front-right
Stereo
used by: 1
linked by: 1
configured latency: 25.00 ms; range is 8.00 .. 341.33 ms
card: 0 <alsa_card.pci-0000_00_1f.3>
module: 6
properties:
alsa.resolution_bits = "16"
device.api = "alsa"
device.class = "sound"
alsa.class = "generic"
alsa.subclass = "generic-mix"
alsa.name = "CX20751/2 Analog"
alsa.id = "CX20751/2 Analog"
alsa.subdevice = "0"
alsa.subdevice_name = "subdevice #0"
alsa.device = "0"
alsa.card = "0"
alsa.card_name = "HDA Intel PCH"
alsa.long_card_name = "HDA Intel PCH at 0xb1220000 irq 129"
alsa.driver_name = "snd_hda_intel"
device.bus_path = "pci-0000:00:1f.3"
sysfs.path = "/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.3/sound/card0"
device.bus = "pci"
device.vendor.id = "8086"
device.vendor.name = "Intel Corporation"
device.product.id = "9d71"
device.form_factor = "internal"
device.string = "front:0"
device.buffering.buffer_size = "65536"
device.buffering.fragment_size = "32768"
device.access_mode = "mmap+timer"
device.profile.name = "analog-stereo"
device.profile.description = "Analog Stereo"
device.description = "Built-in Audio Analog Stereo"
alsa.mixer_name = "Conexant CX20751/2"
alsa.components = "HDA:14f1510f,17aa383a,00100100 HDA:8086280b,80860101,00100000"
module-udev-detect.discovered = "1"
device.icon_name = "audio-card-pci"
ports:
analog-output-speaker: Speakers (priority 10000, latency offset 0 usec, available: unknown)
properties:
device.icon_name = "audio-speakers"
analog-output-headphones: Headphones (priority 9000, latency offset 0 usec, available: no)
properties:
device.icon_name = "audio-headphones"
active port: <analog-output-speaker>
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Alright, it's not looking terribly promising at the moment, but try this. In the terminal type killall pulseaudio followed by pulseaudio -D and then test with aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

If that doesn't work, type gksudo xed /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf scroll to the bottom of the file and add options snd_hda_intel model=laptop save the file and log out/in or reboot.

I hope that helps. I think it was trytip that posted about a problem with your codec. I'll see if I can find the post.

I found it but it was by thx-1138. And it looks like you might not be affected anyway: viewtopic.php?p=1497521#p1497521
Last edited by MrEen on Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3hre

Post by 3hre »

Why is it not looking promising? What are you seeing as an above and beyond problem?

** (xed:8825): WARNING **: Set document metadata failed: Setting attribute metadata::xed-spell-language not supported

** (xed:8825): WARNING **: Set document metadata failed: Setting attribute metadata::xed-encoding not supported

** (xed:8825): WARNING **: Set document metadata failed: Setting attribute metadata::xed-position not supported
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

ports:
analog-output-speaker: Speakers (priority 10000, latency offset 0 usec, available: unknown)

The unknown it what made me say that.

Don't worry about those warnings. They happen everytime you use gksudo xed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Here's something worth trying. Since your had sound, rebooted, then no sound, check your BIOS. Disable Secure Boot if enabled, and enable anything sound related.

Return to “Beginner Questions”