(Solved)Pulse Audio issues

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Pulse Audio issues

Post by thx-1138 »

...i'd also recommend what Marziano said. Google revealed this for 310-15IKB.
And on the Lenovo forums, it seems that the audio card isn't always correctly detected even under Windows, so go figure...
Last edited by thx-1138 on Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3hre

Post by 3hre »

Marziano wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:43 am Try installing alsamixer and run it a terminal to see if your sound card shows up in there:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get alsamixer
In terminal:

alsamixer
Press F6 to see if you can choose your sound card.
E: Invalid operation alsamixer

And f6 yields nothing ~ not that a window popups but simply does nothing at all
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...sudo apt-get install alsamixer.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

thx-1138 wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:04 pm ...sudo apt-get install alsamixer.
@3hre
My baaaad!
Sorry!

@thx-1138
Thanks for the correction!
3hre

Post by 3hre »

Marziano wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:43 am Try installing alsamixer and run it a terminal to see if your sound card shows up in there:

sudo apt-get alsamixer
In terminal:

alsamixer
Press F6 to see if you can choose your sound card.
15IKB ~ $ sudo aplay -l
[sudo] password for :
aplay: device_list:268: no soundcards found...
15IKB ~ $

So there is that but then I know there is one when I go into drivers and when I play a video the graphic equalizer shows there is sound input so is it possible that somehow the sound card was turned off? (PS: I have a cat with poor boundaries)
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

3hre, did you try the corrected command line:

sudo apt-get install alsamixer
?
3hre

Post by 3hre »

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package alsamixer
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...3hre, try sudo apt-get install alsamixer as Marziano suggested, then reboot after installing such.

Also, have a further look here: viewtopic.php?t=239384
The one over in Launchpad solved it via alsa-daily, the guy here in the forums via installing / toying around with alsamixer from what it seems...
Ie. i doubt it's the cat's fault myself, most likely Lenovo's...
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Post by thx-1138 »

...what the heck...try sudo apt-get install alsamixergui instead.

Or maybe also sudo apt-get install qasmixer, as the guy here in the above thread had tried...
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

I am so :oops:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install alsa-utils
In terminal:

alsamixer
Next F6 and hopefully the sound card will show.
3hre

Post by 3hre »

No change. What of the fact that my sound card is not showing/ cannot bring up a box to select a sound card? I know I have one and it is working as it was completely functional prior to yesterday's/the day before yesterday's reboot. Could it have been disabled somehow that could be corrected simply by 'turning it back on?'
3hre

Post by 3hre »

Marziano wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:41 pm I am so :oops:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install alsa-utils
In terminal:

alsamixer
Next F6 and hopefully the sound card will show.
Marziano: It is a well known and accepted reality in my field that computers and their codes/commands have a direct link to insanity :D

But beyond that ~ this is what I got back

15IKB ~ $ sudo apt-get install alsa-utils
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
alsa-utils is already the newest version (1.1.0-0ubuntu5).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 121 not upgraded.
15IKB ~ $ alsamixer

And the other thing is that F6 on my laptop disables my touchpad so is there another f key I should try?

cannot open mixer: No such file or directory
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

3hre wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:54 pm Marziano: It is a well known and accepted reality in my field that computers and their codes/commands have a direct link to insanity :D
LOL, right, I feel I need a break to go bang my head against the wall here. You should see the walls of my rum ...and my head.
And the other thing is that F6 on my laptop disables my touchpad so is there another f key I should try?
Not that I know of. Maybe others know.
You could try qasmixeras suggested by thx-1138.

Or run:

sudo modprobe snd-hda-intel
and again:

sudo aplay -l
to see if it is found this time.

Now I need that break :wink:
3hre

Post by 3hre »

Nope ... it ***has*** to be some silly simple thing after the stuff I did prior and then the stuff since following the advice of you all. There just is not any other possible explanation at this point, no?
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

This "should" get your card recognized again:

sudo apt-get remove --purge alsa-base
sudo apt-get remove --purge pulseaudio
sudo apt-get install alsa-base
sudo apt-get install pulseaudio
sudo alsa force-reload
3hre

Post by 3hre »

No luck there either. I have read that there are cases of soundcards being disabled/turned off.

Isn't that possible? And if so isn't there a key or 20 that can be pressed to turn it back on? I mean ... when I play a video on youtube and open pulseaudio there is a bar that is visually bouncing along to the rhythm of the song being played so it is getting from youtube to *something* in order for that to be happening ... it just isn't getting from that something to my external speakers

And there is no sound card listed in output, input, or configuration tabs ... but there was my sound card listed 2 days ago and although I had a bout of Internet lag I did have sound until I was prompted to reboot my laptop. Absolutely nothing else of any significance happened at all. Deductively it would seem that the answer to this quandary lies somewhere in those above sentences, yes?
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Have you tried shutting the computer down completely (not reboot?)

Also, if this is a dual boot with Windows, and I know this will sound stupid, boot to Windows and make sure sound isn't muted there, then shut down completely, then power on and boot back into Mint. If still nothing, then reboot Mint.

Good luck.
3hre

Post by 3hre »

MrEen wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:01 pm Have you tried shutting the computer down completely (not reboot?)

Also, if this is a dual boot with Windows, and I know this will sound stupid, boot to Windows and make sure sound isn't muted there, then shut down completely, then power on and boot back into Mint. If still nothing, then reboot Mint.

Good luck.

Yes and not a dual boot with windows ~ now rebooting Mint I have not done and cannot say, as stupid as this sounds, but that I even know how to do that
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

I think I may have found something. If you know how to boot to a previous kernel, go ahead and boot to 4.4.0-127 and test your sound. If that works, I'd suggest then uninstalling 4.4.0-128 via Update Manager > View > Linux kernels.
Sir Charles

Post by Sir Charles »

Try MrEen's suggestion first. If it works, the problem is solved. Otherwise google "Card Intel Device 9d71". You will find you are not alone having trouble with this card.

Return to “Beginner Questions”