Sharing a folder over network using SAMBA (can't create a user)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Aleforge
Level 1
Level 1

Sharing a folder over network using SAMBA (can't create a user)

Post by Aleforge » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:20 am

I was searching around and found a guide on how to share a folder out on my network so a windows machine could access it. All I want to do is have a place to drop in stuff to back up. I don't even care about it being secure. I figured this would be a simple process but obviously being a newb to Linux in general its pretty confusing.

Samba is installed, I got that far... well it seemed to have been already installed but I did attempt to grab it via command line.

The guide said after that I needed to create a user and password, it said to type in "smbpasswd -a [username]"

I tried that and the only thing that happens is a listing of commands pop up. For instance I typed in smbpasswd -a cynus

After a few tries I figured I should post and ask here. If this isn't the easiest way to share out a folder let me know.

Thanks

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Sharing a folder over network using SAMBA (can't create a user)

Post by altair4 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:38 am

All I want to do is have a place to drop in stuff to back up. I don't even care about it being secure.
Then you don't need to add a user to the samba password database. But if you want to do it anyway you have to preface your command with sudo:

Code: Select all

sudo smbpasswd -a username
If you get into trouble with anything you need to post the output of the following commands so the folks here don't hae to guess how you are set up:

testparm -s

net usershare info --long
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Aleforge
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Aleforge » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:50 pm

I tried the command you gave me and it worked. Well sort of, it did run and allow me to enter a UN and PW. But then it said "failed to add entry for user". But since I don't need it for my application I will skip on it.

So I went in and created a shared folder in Samba. Set the permissions to R/W and made it visible. I can see my shared folder on the windows PC via ONLY typing in the IP address. But even so I can't get access to anything. So I assume maybe I need to change some stuff inside the server setting / security area?

Authentication mode is on "User". So does that need to be something else, share maybe? It says there is not a guest account, but I am not sure what to change it to allow access for anyone? I am going to switch them around and see what happens. But if you or anyone can fill me in on the Samba settings that would be awesome.

Thanks for the help!

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:18 pm

The only way I can help you is if you run these commands and post their output in your next post:

testparm -s

net usershare info --long

hostname
And please tell me what version and what desktop you are using. Mint18-Cinnamon, Mint17-Mate, ...?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Newbie Questions”