How to make HP EliteBook 840 G3 VGA & inbuilt SIM work

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Routik
Level 1
Level 1

How to make HP EliteBook 840 G3 VGA & inbuilt SIM work

Post by Routik »

Hi everyone,
Few days ago, I downloaded the latest Linux Mint (canonical version) and installed it on my HP EliteBook 840 G3. But I realized that my screen resolution looks small so I am suspecting maybe the VGA did not drive well.
Secondly, my HP EliteBook 840 G3 has an inbuilt SIM for broadband connection, how I can I setup the inbuilt SIM broadband on Linux Mint?
Your detailed response with instructions on what to do will be highly appreciated.

Below is the full specs of my Laptop from HP website

System features
System features

Operating system
Windows 7 Professional 64 (available through downgrade rights from Windows 10 Pro 64)
(This system is preinstalled with Windows 7 Professional software and also comes with a license and media for Windows 10 Pro software. You may only use one version of the Windows software at a time. Switching between versions will require you to uninstall one version and install the other version. You must back up all data (files, photos, etc.) before uninstalling and installing operating systems to avoid loss of your data.)

Processor family
Intel® Core™ i7 processor

Processor
Intel® Core™ i7-6600U with Intel HD Graphics 520 (2.6 GHz, up to 3.4 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 4 MB cache, 2 cores)

Chipset
Chipset is integrated with processor

Environmental
Low halogen 21

Dimensions and weight
Dimensions and weight

Dimensions (W x D x H)
13.3 x 9.3 x 0.74 in (non-touch); 13.3 x 9.3 x 0.8 in (touch) (33.8 x 23.7 x 1.89 cm (non-touch); 33.8 x 23.7 x 2.02 cm (touch))

Weight
Starting at 3.27 lb (non-touch); Starting at 3.75 lb (touch) (Starting at 1.48 kg (non-touch); Starting at 1.7 kg (touch))
(Weight will vary by configuration.)

Memory
Memory

Memory

8 GB DDR4-2133 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)

Memory Slots
2 SODIMM

Storage
Storage

Internal drive
512 GB M.2 SATA TLC SSD

Display and graphics
Display and graphics

Display

14" diagonal QHD UWVA anti-glare ultra-slim LED-backlit (2560 x 1440)

Graphics

Expansion features
Expansion features

Ports
1 USB 3.0
1 USB 3.0 charging
1 USB Type-C™
1 DisplayPort
1 VGA
1 headphone/microphone combo
1 AC power
1 RJ-45
1 docking connector

Expansion slots
1 media card reader
1 external SIM
(Supports SD, SDHC, SDXC.)

Audio

Audio by Bang & Olufsen
Integrated dual array microphone
Integrated premium speakers
HP Noise Reduction Software
HP Clear Sound Amp

Camera
720p HD webcam

Keyboard
Spill-resistant keyboard with drain; Spill-resistant backlit keyboard with drain and DuraKeys (optional)

Pointing device
Glass touchpad (with chemically etched surface) with on/off button, supports 2-way scroll, taps and gestures enabled by default, two-finger scrolling, two finger zoom (pinch), Pointstick

Communications
Communications

Network interface
Intel® Ethernet Connection I219-LM 10/100/1000 (with Intel® i5-6300U and i7-6600U)

Wireless
Intel 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (2x2) and Bluetooth® 4.2 Combo

Power and operating requirements
Power and operating requirements

Power supply

45 W Smart AC adapter
65 W Smart AC adapter

Battery type

HP Long Life 3-cell, 46 WHr Li-ion

Battery life
Up to 9 hours (3-cell, 46 WHr) (models with SSD)

Security management
Security management

Security management

Security lock slot (lock must be purchased separately)
TPM 1.2/2.0
Integrated smart card reader (active)
Preboot Authentication (password, Smart Card)
HP Fingerprint reader (optional)

What's included
What's included

Software
HP 3D Driveguard
HP BIOSphere with HP Sure Start
HP Client Security
HP Connection Manager (models with Windows 7 only)
HP ePrint Driver
HP Recovery Manager
HP SoftPaq Download Manager
HP Support Assistant
Buy Office
HP Mobile Connect Pro (models with Windows 8.1 and Windows 10)
HP Noise Reduction Software
HP Image Assistant 14,15,16,17,18,19,22
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: How to make HP EliteBook 840 G3 VGA & inbuilt SIM work

Post by AndyMH »

Have a look here:

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=269652
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Routik
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Routik »

AndyMH wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:59 am Have a look here:

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=269652

Thanks for this. I was able to install the modem manager (gui) but it wasn't deteciing any WWAN adapter. I read here that you can have the SIM port present without the hardware functionality. Am a bit confused whether the SIM port my Laptop came with is without hardware functionality?

Please help on why my VGA resolution is tiny?
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Routik wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:04 pm Please help on why my VGA resolution is tiny?

That was from your specs. That seems a crazy high res to run on a 14" screen! Which is why it would make everything look very tiny.

Go into Menu>Preferences>Display

And on the screen that pops up maybe try a smaller resolution. For a 14" display i'd start on something like 1024x768 and see what you think of that?
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
Routik
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Routik »

I tried your suggestion but the outcome doesn't look good. websites are not aligned properly, It isn't tiny anymore but it really looks somehow.
This wasn't an issue with the windows the laptop came with. I am thinking if it's a driver issue?

ZakGordon wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:50 am
Routik wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:04 pm Please help on why my VGA resolution is tiny?

That was from your specs. That seems a crazy high res to run on a 14" screen! Which is why it would make everything look very tiny.

And on the screen that pops up maybe try a smaller resolution. For a 14" display i'd start on something like 1024x768 and see what you think of that?
Routik
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Routik »

Okay I went on to play around with all the available resolution sizes I was seeing and 1920 x 1080 (16.9) looks better. But I still want to know if there is more to this? Any further detailed explanation will be appreciated.

ZakGordon wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:50 am

Routik
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Routik »

While digging the forum for a solution to my problem, I stumbled upon this post it looks as if LLinux doesn't have proper support for HiDPI? Because I still think that it wasn't a mistake from HP for my Laptop to have such a high Display of
ZakGordon
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ZakGordon »

Routik wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:00 pmOkay I went on to play around with all the available resolution sizes I was seeing and 1920 x 1080 (16.9) looks better. But I still want to know if there is more to this? Any further detailed explanation will be appreciated.
Yeah just play around with the available choices until you are happy with what you get. For comparison my laptop running Mint is a 15" 1280x800 display and that looks fine (as in it is not so small i can't really use it).

I sometimes connect it to my TV and that has a default 1920x1080 setting and looks fine also.

It just sounded to me that running 2560 x 1440 in just 14" would result in a very small (as in icons being tiny, text being tiny etc) look to the display. Still tiny display note-books are very popular and as tech increases and higher resolutions are developed to fit in smaller screen area, you will end up with what i thought you might be experiencing?

Anyway just keep trying different resolutions until you find one that works best for you. I have no idea if software on Mint vs Windows will make a difference, just look around in the Menu>Preferences settings as you can find stuff to change font sizes and all that kind of thing.
Laptop overheating? Check link here:itsfoss guide . Also a move from Cinnamon to XFCE can give a -5 to -10 degrees C change on overheating hardware.

Build a modern dual-boot Ryzen Win7/Linux Mint PC:Tutorial
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Routik wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:33 pm I tried your suggestion but the outcome doesn't look good. websites are not aligned properly, It isn't tiny anymore but it really looks somehow.
This wasn't an issue with the windows the laptop came with. I am thinking if it's a driver issue?
you can't really compare your New Linux System, with your Old Windows System,
as they really can't be comapred - - super customised Vs plain vanilla . . .
ie: just coz it worked on Windows, doesn't mean that it will with any Linux System.
:(
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Return to “Beginner Questions”