Kaffeine 2.0.12

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
songhuijohn
Level 3
Level 3

Kaffeine 2.0.12

Post by songhuijohn » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:22 pm

When using software manager in a Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.3 environment, Kaffeine version 1.2.2 is installed ( old old version).
When using software manager in a Linux Mint KDE 18.3 environment, Kaffeine version 2.0.12 is installed (much newer version).
How do I install Kaffeine version 2.0.12 in a Cinnamon envrionment???
Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon, Mobo MSI A68HM Grenade, AMD A8-7600, 4GIG DDR3 1600, SSD Patriot Blast 120 GB

Hoser Rob
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Kaffeine 2.0.12

Post by Hoser Rob » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:25 am

You have to realize that there's very littly backwards or forwards compatibility in Linux, which is why beginners are advised to install from the tested repos unless necessary. Just wanting the latest version of everything is not considered part of 'necessary'.

Kaffeine is a KDE program and as such is based on different C/C++ etc libraries than the other Mint DEs, which are GTK library based. KDE is Qt based. So I suspect there are compatibility reasons for having different versions.

Now the question I have is, is there something specifically wrong with the version of Kaffeine you get with Cinnamon? Because getting into the newbie habit of adding sources without understanding the process is a good way to break your installation system. Lots of threads here started by beginners who have done this and can't install anything all of a sudden.

If you were talking about Mint 17.3 I could see it because HEVC library support was lacking but 18.x libraries are fine.

phd21
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Kaffeine 2.0.12

Post by phd21 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:26 pm

Hi songhuijohn,

You could install the "kubuntu backports" KDE PPA which would update everything KDE and QT related in Cinnamon, Mate or Xfce. Obviously, this PPA is already installed in Linux Mint KDE. I did this in Cinnamon 18.3 and have not had any issues.
To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right-click the highlighted command, select Copy or Ctrl+Insert, click in the console terminal window, and right click paste or Shift+Insert, repeat for each command.

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
Then, run your Mint Update Manager (refresh it) to update Kaffeine and all other KDE and QT apps from this PPA which should give you the newer Kaffeine v2.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.3, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Return to “Newbie Questions”