External HDD Read Only

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gdp1989

External HDD Read Only

Post by gdp1989 »

I have borrowed a hdd from a friend of mine too copy some files. They use windows and i'm on Mint so at first i thought it was the formatting but it's showing as FAT32.

Tried copying as Sudo, didnt help.

I have tried this:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/333287/ ... -read-only

but it fails at the step.

Code: Select all

sudo mount -o rw,uid=1000,gid=1000,user,exec,umask=003,blksize=4096 /dev/sdc1 /media/toshibaHDD
with this:
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1,
missing codepage or helper program, or other error

In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
dmesg | tail or so.
Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
silvatech
Level 3
Level 3

Re: External HDD Read Only

Post by silvatech »

Do you need anything off the drive?

What is the error when you try to mount it?
gdp1989

Post by gdp1989 »

silvatech wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:56 pm Do you need anything off the drive?

What is the error when you try to mount it?
I cant format it no, It works fine for my friend and i don't want to wipe their files. It mounts fine if I just plug it in with no errors. Just read only.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Easiest is probably to let it auto-mount, then

sudo chmod 777
the mount point (somewhere in /media).
gdp1989

Post by gdp1989 »

gm10 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:42 am Easiest is probably to let it auto-mount, then

sudo chmod 777
the mount point (somewhere in /media).
Sorry don't quite understand, run the command from the mount point? just running it gives:

tim@tim-HP-EliteBook-8460p ~ $ sudo chmod 777
chmod: missing operand after ‘777’
Try 'chmod --help' for more information.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

gdp1989 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:31 amSorry don't quite understand, run the command from the mount point? just running it gives:

No, something like

sudo chmod 777 /media/user/externalHDD
Replace the /media part with the actual mount point of your external HDD. To explain, the mount point is the location where the device is made accessible to your file system. If you open the device in your graphical file manager it will be path shown at the top (you didn't say what version and flavour of Mint you are on so I can't be more specific). You can also type mount in the terminal after plugging in the drive, it will be the last entry.
gdp1989

Post by gdp1989 »

gm10 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:41 am
gdp1989 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:31 amSorry don't quite understand, run the command from the mount point? just running it gives:

No, something like

sudo chmod 777 /media/user/externalHDD
Replace the /media part with the actual mount point of your external HDD. To explain, the mount point is the location where the device is made accessible to your file system. If you open the device in your graphical file manager it will be path shown at the top (you didn't say what version and flavour of Mint you are on so I can't be more specific). You can also type mount in the terminal after plugging in the drive, it will be the last entry.

Ok, I've done that. The command worked with no errors. Still read only though.
Using 18.3 Cinnamon 64 Bit, Cinnamon version 3.0.7
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Ok, in that case the only reason I can think of why it wouldn't work is that the file system is damaged and thus it did get remounted as readonly, which is the default setting in case of errors. If you start the Disks app from the menu you can select the drive on the left side and then on the right if you click the cog icon you can check and repair the file system. You can also change the mount options there.
gdp1989

Post by gdp1989 »

gm10 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:46 pm Ok, in that case the only reason I can think of why it wouldn't work is that the file system is damaged and thus it did get remounted as readonly, which is the default setting in case of errors. If you start the Disks app from the menu you can select the drive on the left side and then on the right if you click the cog icon you can check and repair the file system. You can also change the mount options there.
Already ran FSCK on the hdd and fixed any issues. I might try plug it into a windows laptop and see what happens.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

gdp1989 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:07 pm Already ran FSCK on the hdd and fixed any issues. I might try plug it into a windows laptop and see what happens.
You said it was a FAT32 drive, you'd need to use fsck.fat for that. If errors were the reason for the read-only mount then you could also force it to mount writeable by changing the mount options (set errors=continue rather than remount-ro). Do that at your own risk though, you said your friend still had files on that.
Last edited by gm10 on Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silvatech
Level 3
Level 3

Post by silvatech »

gdp1989 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:07 pm
gm10 wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:46 pm Ok, in that case the only reason I can think of why it wouldn't work is that the file system is damaged and thus it did get remounted as readonly, which is the default setting in case of errors. If you start the Disks app from the menu you can select the drive on the left side and then on the right if you click the cog icon you can check and repair the file system. You can also change the mount options there.
Already ran FSCK on the hdd and fixed any issues. I might try plug it into a windows laptop and see what happens.
theirs a command to force it if its what I think it is, but better to not risk loosing data on windows run chkdsk /f that should unflag it as a bad partition (if this is the case.)

Return to “Beginner Questions”