Installing Safecopy

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
jncordwell
Level 1
Level 1

Installing Safecopy

Post by jncordwell » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:26 am

I have installed Safecopy via the Software Manager. However, it has come as a downloaded zipped file. If I open/extract from the zipped file I just end up with a 'bundle' of individual files and folders and don't know what to do next - i.e. I can't open the programme and get on with retrieving/ripping from a 'damaged' CD. I feel very dim! Can anyone help please?

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Installing Safecopy

Post by Mute Ant » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:11 am

From a repository it would arrive as a deb package. Try again maybe? In a terminal window you can issue the command...
sudo apt-get install safecopy ### Download and install the package 'safecopy'
...which will fetch and install the same version as the Software Manager.

If you are ripping damaged media... just ask. I have spent hundreds of hours doing that.
Now 3 days pass, deep impression to me is the new system is a huge memory greedy.

jncordwell
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jncordwell » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:10 am

Thanks. I've tried uninstalling and installing again but the same problem occurs. I've also tried your suggested command via the Terminal. This seems to go OK (the last few lines are: Unpacking safecopy (1.6-1build1) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.6.7.1-1ubuntu1) ...
Setting up safecopy (1.6-1build1) ...
john1@globeone ~ $
I've assumed this means that the process has completed. However, when I search for the application in the menu it's not there. If it is there, where do I find it? I did this once before and could find it - however, what came up in my menu search was the icon for a zipped file (just like I get via Software Manager) - so 'back to square one'.

thx-1138
Level 5
Level 5

Post by thx-1138 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:36 am

...it's a command line program, no graphical interface (hence, no 'menu' entry).
Ie. better describe what you're trying to achieve and/or possibly recover...

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Mute Ant » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:03 am

Please don't let the lack of a GUI put you off. Sometimes there's more interest in getting the real work done perfectly instead of making it look pretty. It's the same with the other handy data-recovery commands, all of these have man pages... man safecopy for example, but no GUI.
safecopy ### Recover whole file-systems.
ddrescue ### Recover whole devices, file-systems or single files.
photorec ### Bulk-recovery of single files, especially JPEG pictures.
cdparanoia ### Recover CD-Audio tracks

The safecopy command is quite competent and easy to use. Just...

safecopy /dev/sr0 refracta9.iso ### Duplicate the data CD-R in /dev/sr0 as a file called refracta9.iso
  • Low level device calls enabled mode: 1
    Reported hw blocksize: 4096
    CDROM Mode1 - low level access: drive reset, raw read
    CDROM low level disk size: 730112000
    CDROM low level block size: 2048
    Reported low level blocksize: 2048
    File size: 730112000
    Blocksize: 2048
    Fault skip blocksize: 32768
    Resolution: 2048
    Min read attempts: 3
    Head moves on read error: 1
    Starting block: 0
    Source: /dev/sr0
    Destination: refracta9.iso
    Done!
    Recovered bad blocks: 0
    Unrecoverable bad blocks (bytes): 0 (0)
    Blocks (bytes) copied: 356502 (730116096)
Now 3 days pass, deep impression to me is the new system is a huge memory greedy.

jncordwell
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jncordwell » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:17 pm

Many thanks for this. I am such a 'newbie' that the answer almost exceeded my grasp! However, I typed cdparanoia 1-25 in the command line (for a CD with 25 tracks when I didn't know the location of the 'errors') and this seemed to recover the whole CD. Presumably one would have to 'rip' track-by track to get separate files for each track - which would be pretty time consuming (both to do and then to combine in a single folder for the CD with each track named and in the right order). Any other tips would be much appreciated, such as how to identify where in an audio CD any 'errors' are located. When I used ripperX on the CD in question it ripped 14 of 25 tracks.

Mute Ant
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Mute Ant » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:54 pm

For a whole audio CD track-by-track it could be...
cdparanoia -B 1- my-ripped-cd-tracks.wav
If cdparanoia starts reporting I/O errors, you will never get a perfect rip, there's not enough track left for the drive to stay on the groove. Depending on the default setting in your optical drive, that can slow the rip to unbearably cautious. My CD-ROM drive tries 128 times (!) before it reports an error to cdparanoia. That's an 8 second wait for every bad block :( You can stop the drive trying too hard to give you a good read with the sdparm command...
sudo sdparm -c RRC /dev/sr0 ### Clear the drive's Read Retry Count until the next power cycle.
...and you will probably need to install sdparm for that to work...
sudo apt-get install sdparm ### Install the sdparm command.

If you want named tracks the ripit command accesses the freedb and musicbrainz track databases. It uses cdparanoia to do the ripping and can leave the files as WAV or encode them LAME or FLAC with tags if you like.

Return to “Newbie Questions”