Where do I get Open GL 2?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chroma601

Where do I get Open GL 2?

Post by chroma601 »

Playing with my new old laptop, I found a package called Stellarium and installed it, but it won't run, saying I need Open GL 2. I looked in Synaptic but failed to locate it. Please advise!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lord Boltar

Re: Where do I get Open GL 2?

Post by Lord Boltar »

You don't "download" OpenGL2.0, you download implementations depending on your setup. In hardware, or in software.
Cave jug

Post by Cave jug »

Lord Boltar, how does your response help? I've read it twice, and still at the loss to understand it. I've would have thought the question shows the level of 'knowledge' one has, to ask such a question. Please be more forthcoming with your instruction
Cheers. :?
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Cave jug wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:45 pm Lord Boltar, how does your response help? I've read it twice, and still at the loss to understand it. I've would have thought the question shows the level of 'knowledge' one has, to ask such a question. Please be more forthcoming with your instruction
Cheers. :?
Well, you're off to a great start. This is a volunteer based forum, like all Linux support forums unless you buy a Red Hat site license, and you're already turning people off.

WHat he said is completely true. OpenGL levels aren't a software package. If the software you're talking about installing protested because you don't have level 2 opengl, it must be pretty old hardware. If the graphics hardware won't handle that level then you can't change that. There's no magic driver for that in Linux or Windows or any other OS.

To actually see if it will you need to try posting some useful information. Copy/paste this to the terminal and copy/paste the text output here:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
chroma601

Post by chroma601 »

I think the problem I had was that the hardware didn't support a program I tried to use. Mint runs great on an Atom Notebook, but the Atom has its limitations!
Cave jug

Post by Cave jug »

Just to clear something up if I may.
I did not intend to be rude nor to annoy people on this thread. In the hindsight, I should have had rephrased my response BEFORE I've posted it.
It was my understanding that a post was made by a novice, like many of us are, who needed a step-by-step instruction, not a terse answer, which leads to another question and starts another topic. I am also very much aware this is a volunteer initiative, not a paid service and apart from few experts, all of us are very grateful for the help available. It seems to me, Mr Hoser Rob is annoyed the way I've tried to point to insufficient information and chose to 'smack my wrist' for doing so. Since I've joined a few years ago, there was a need to ask "stupid" question or two, but this kind of response from Mr Hoser Rob gives me a pause.
Perhaps I need to find a forum where I'll not be taken as inferior.

Return to “Beginner Questions”