vnstat eno1 [disabled]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
robertgrant1203

vnstat eno1 [disabled]

Post by robertgrant1203 »

Im trying to monitor my computer for download and uploads. I installed vnstat and have been trying to get a reading and all i receive is

rx / tx / total / estimated
eno1 [disabled]:
Jan '18 85.56 GiB / 5.18 GiB / 90.74 GiB / 16.08 GiB
01/30/2018 1.39 GiB / 49.08 MiB / 1.44 GiB
01/31/2018 957.14 MiB / 40.23 MiB / 997.37 MiB / 0.98 GiB

virbr0: Not enough data available yet.
virbr0-nic: Not enough data available yet.

im not sure why all i see is January stats, and why its disabled. and how i would enable it to get current readings. can anyone explain to me in simple terms how to get this working.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: vnstat eno1 [disabled]

Post by catweazel »

robertgrant1203 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:03 am Im trying to monitor my computer for download and uploads. I installed vnstat...
im not sure why all i see is January stats, and why its disabled. and how i would enable it to get current readings. can anyone explain to me in simple terms how to get this working.
https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/vns ... ng-ubuntu/

Try that.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
robertgrant1203

yeah i used that page, and im still confused. command --longhelp lists enable, however i dont know how to use it. can you help
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

robertgrant1203 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:14 am can you help
Not really. All I would end up doing is reading man vnstat and writing to you what I'd read.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
robertgrant1203

I didn't know there was such a command, I read through the manual and I still can't get it to work. Any help?
robertgrant1203

just because you were a jerk who wouldnt help a newb.. i did the research myself and got vnstat running. after a week of playing with commands that i know nothing about, and waiting for data to be available i happened upon this site..

https://aspratyush.wordpress.com/tag/vn ... lable-yet/

make vnstat daemon auto start at boot :

$ sudo systemctl enable vnstat.service

on a multiuser system, it may make more sense to allow everyone to have read-write permissions, that is if the admin so desires. In such a scenario we need to run the following:

$ sudo chmod a+rw -R /var/lib/vnstat/*

rx / tx / total / estimated
eno1 [disabled]:
Jan '18 85.56 GiB / 5.18 GiB / 90.74 GiB / 15.21 GiB
01/30/2018 1.39 GiB / 49.08 MiB / 1.44 GiB
01/31/2018 957.14 MiB / 40.23 MiB / 997.37 MiB / 43.81 GiB

virbr0: Not enough data available yet.
enp2s0:
Jun '18 0 KiB / 0 KiB / 0 KiB
Jul '18 2.81 GiB / 142.43 MiB / 2.95 GiB / 22.73 GiB
yesterday 2.78 GiB / 140.54 MiB / 2.92 GiB
today 29.89 MiB / 1.88 MiB / 31.77 MiB / 1.32 GiB

virbr0-nic: Not enough data available yet.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

robertgrant1203 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:43 am just because you were a jerk who wouldnt help a newb..
You are way out of line. Everyone here is a volunteer. I gave you the best information I had, and not everyone holds all esoteric knowledge.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

robertgrant1203 wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:43 amjust because you were a jerk who wouldnt help a newb.
I'm going to have to agree with catweazel, you're out of line. Catweazel is very knowledgeable in many aspects of Linux, but he admitted he didn't know everything about vnstat, and that all he would be able to do was read the man page on it. He also suggested a web page that he thought might help you. I think that's all you can ask for: he did what he could. As catweazel mentioned, everybody here is a volunteer, giving up their spare time to help others when they can. What's the old saying? "You'll catch more flies with honey than you will with vinegar." Calling somebody who did what he could to help you a jerk is not going to make others want to help you. And as it turned out, he gave you the information you needed to solve the problem: he told you about man pages. I know it can be frustrating when you can't get something to work right, but please try to remain polite to others.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
robertgrant1203

the manual did very little if not nothing for me. he did not admit that he did not know about vnstat, he said he would just read from the manual, which frankly came off as condesending. he could have very easily said.. i dont know much about that program, but here are a couple things to try. but he didnt.. the link he sent me initially i had found myself from a basic online search. hence why i was posting here in the first place.. i understand that you all are volunteers,i have volunteered my time too with children, and at a local food pantry, i get it when customers can be rude, and your not doing it for money it stings a bit more. but i didnt start of rude, i responded to rudeness. Heres an easy thing, if you dont know about something, dont respond, and if you want to give it a go, actually help. or point the person to a person that will. after finding the page with the solution those commands seem pretty simple if your in the advanced know of linux. which i am not but your all are, and dont seem all that vnstat specific.. taking the 2m to write them out and explain them doenst seem all that much to ask. This is a newb forum, if your not willing to actually write out explanations, or even copy and paste explantions so we as newbs can get up to speed, then maybe you should spend your time on forums that cater more to your level of knowledge.

Return to “Beginner Questions”