Upgrade from 17 to 18 (or 19)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Vilsen
Level 1
Level 1

Upgrade from 17 to 18 (or 19)

Post by Vilsen » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:43 am

I have used Linux Mint MATE 17.3 for a long time now and am very pleased with that version but I thought I would upgrade to 18 or 19.

The question I ask is what happens to all of my settings, my desktop environment , and everything that I put down
100's of hours to get to the environment I need.

Will everything disappear and I have to start over again?

I have always spent a lot of time restarting from the beginning because I always do a clean new installation
every time but now I thought it might be possible to keep all installed working programs INCLUDING the environment I created and enjoyed.

IT IS POSSIBLE ?

kc1di
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Upgrade from 17 to 18 (or 19)

Post by kc1di » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:38 am

there are upgrade paths from 17.3 to 18.3 but IMHO your better off doing a fresh install , back up and save all important info to an external source and re intro duce it in the new install. you can save some things if you use thunderbird for instance you can save it's .thunderbird file and it will contain all of your saved mail and folders and settings.

The real problem I see with doing the upgrade from one to the other is that you end up with leftovers from the old install that make it sort of a combination of the two and if you run into trouble it may not be diagnosable. But that's just my opinion. others have had good luck doing it.

You should read this blog first. https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2316

there is no upgrade path yet to 19 as it is still beta. So if you go with that you'll have to do a fresh install. The upgrade path will be announced sometime after 19 becomes final.
Easy tips : https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

all41
Level 13
Level 13

Post by all41 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:21 pm

there are upgrade paths from 17.3 to 18.3 but IMHO your better off doing a fresh install
+1 on this. I have never felt comfortable with the upgrade path and have always went ahead and installed
fresh replacing the upgraded system.
Especially to end up with Mint 19 would be double upgrade jeopardy.
The release for Mint 19 is just around the corner--
since you're using Mint 17.3 (as many of us still are) and you're happy with it, as many of us are, there's no need to be in
a great hurry. I suggest--go ahead and download the Mint 19 iso when released and boot it up in the live desktop mode to check it out.
You can make the decision then.
Perhaps you have room on your system to install 19 alongside your Mint 17.3 if you like it.
Proud to be a supporter and monthly contributor to Mint.

JerryF
Level 10
Level 10

Post by JerryF » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:01 pm

Vilsen wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:43 am
I thought it might be possible to keep all installed working programs INCLUDING the environment I created and enjoyed.

IT IS POSSIBLE ?
Yes.

There is a good program called Aptik. It's not in the repositories, but in my opinion, should be. They just came out with a newer version. It's made for just what you describe:

https://www.tecmint.com/aptik-a-tool-to ... in-ubuntu/
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

slipstick
Level 5
Level 5

Post by slipstick » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:28 pm

Be aware that the new version of Aptik has been split into two parts. To get the GUI interface and to have it appear in your menu, you need to also install aptik-gtk.

What I have started doing is to have separate partitions for odd numbered and even numbered Mint editions. Actually I have a separate / and /home for each version. I have a separate Data partition shared between both versions and have moved my thunderbird and firefox profiles onto the data partition (symlinked from the thunderbird and firefox directories in both versions) so that all my personal data, emails, and FF bookmarks are available from either version. So when I get ready to install LM19, it will replace LM17.3, but I can continue using LM18.3 while I configure LM19 at my leisure. Then I will continue upgrading to 19.1, 19.2, 19.3 in place, then LM20 will replace LM18.3.
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they ain't.

all41
Level 13
Level 13

Post by all41 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:53 pm

This is my philosophy with a new release:
I find there is fluidity in my computing requirements and interests over the course of an LTS release as new uses and applications are being introduced.
In view of this, I equate a new release to getting a new car. I want to keep that 'new' look and feel, so I don't just willy-nilly 'pre-install' each and every app that was on my 'old' system unless I actually need them.
Likewise, I leave the majority of my backup files on the backup drive until they are needed.
New and clean is mean

wwfwng
Level 2
Level 2

Post by wwfwng » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:08 am

I keep a text file of the settings and installations (and installation settings, etc). I always do a fresh install and can usually have my "new" machine running (and looking) like the old one in a few hours.

I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:57 am

I'm still on M17.3 32bit Cinnamon and XFCE, and plan to stay with it so long as the OS is supported and the third-party software I rely on is still current, or there's some unexpected breakdown. I installed M17 when first released and took that through all the point releases, which have been flawless, but would do a fresh install for any new version. (I've been pre-testing M18 and now M19 beta on persistent live USB, for possible switch to 64bit when that time comes. There are cosmetics but no major functional difference from M17 for my PCs and reconfiguring everything for a new Mint version would only be a waste of time for me.)
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Ubuntu / Mint user since 10.04 LTS. M17.3 Cinnamon (Dell 1520). Dual booting M17.3 XFCE / W7 (Acer netbook) and M18.3 Cinnamon / W7 (Lenovo desktop). Testing M19.x 64bit on live USB.

JerryF
Level 10
Level 10

Post by JerryF » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:38 pm

slipstick wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:28 pm
Be aware that the new version of Aptik has been split into two parts. To get the GUI interface and to have it appear in your menu, you need to also install aptik-gtk.
Thank you for mentioning that. I forgot all about that. :oops:
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

JerryF
Level 10
Level 10

Post by JerryF » Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:47 pm

all41 wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:53 pm
In view of this, I equate a new release to getting a new car. I want to keep that 'new' look and feel, so I don't just willy-nilly 'pre-install' each and every app that was on my 'old' system unless I actually need them.
That's the great thing about Aptik. You can specify what and how you want to backup and restore. In addition to the Easy UI, it has Advanced, and Expert option so you can use those and it won't pre-install each and every app willy-nilly.
Shutter-019.jpg
Aptik

all41
Level 13
Level 13

Post by all41 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:43 pm

Yes, I am familiar with Aptik, I just prefer to do this manually.

silvatech
Level 3
Level 3

Post by silvatech » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:58 pm

Personally ive upgraded from 17.1 all way now to 18.3. I have alot of programs and etc. I have not had any issues with the upgrade process causing any issues.

AZgl1500
Level 9
Level 9
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:17 pm

What no one has mentioned is, that a newbie has no clue how to install the gtk

indeed, I have done it before and completely forgot why Aptik did not show up in the Menu,
I had to research my own Notes from when I did it the last time.

well, the split off front end has to be installed separately,
and this is what has to be done in Terminal to get it to show up in the menu.

apt install aptik-gtk

And Contrary to TeeJee's comments, it does NOT show up in Accessories, it shows up in the Administration menu.

And it does not run immediately, you have to create a backup directory,
then click on Terminal,
and then click on Backup....

at that point, it will make backups.

Vilsen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Vilsen » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:08 am

Instead of trying to upgrade I did this:

I bought a new SSD : 500 GB and cloned my existing Linux Mint 17.3 MATE from an SSD : 250 GB.

I use LMV2 .

Now I have 250 GB free space and I would like to install 18.3 there.

I bootet from USB-stick but could not manage to make it work.

I guess I'm a novis and wonder if anyone know how to do this.

I like to choose OS-ver. from a common GRUB.
I got this option when I installed 17.3 MATE and I thought because of my ignorance that it should be better
and I thought because of my ignorance that this would be better than the usual ways partly to increase the lifespan of my SSD and partly that the increase / decrease the size of the partition would be easier. I have now understood that the latter takes a lot of knowledge about the subject LVM.

The problem is that I have for a long time the problem is that for a long time I have built up a work environment with the programs I want and above all all the settings that have been made so I do not want to start over again and have therefore cloned the 250GB disk to a new 500GB SSD of the splash and got one unused space of 250 GB and there I thought to start building a Linux Mint 18.3 MATE to see if this version has something that does not have 17.3, and if so, I can later "step over" to this. Maybe I'll skip 18 o go on 19 straight? It is not well done if I understood the case correctly.

I must be able to choose version from a common GRUB.

When I start the installation from a MINT-STICK with 18.3, I have to choose manual installation and there I see the available partitions / SDx but I receive a message about something that I do not understand and can not figure out what to do.

I could provide pictures of what is happening if that should help !

Sir Charles
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Sir Charles » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:24 am

Vilsen wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:08 am

I bootet from USB-stick but could not manage to make it work.

I see the available partitions / SDx but I receive a message about something that I do not understand and can not figure out what to do.

I could provide pictures of what is happening if that should help !
Hi Vilsen,

If you would be more specific about the nature of the problem you are facing, perhaps somebody on the forums can assist you to overcome it. What is the message you receive? At what stage the installation fails? The more details you provide, the easier would be for the people to troubleshoot.
You could also post the terminal output of the following commadns:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
and

Code: Select all

sudo parted -l
I suppose that's one of the ironies of life, doing the wrong thing at the right moment -C.C.

Return to “Newbie Questions”