MSN messenger does not work in Linux Mint 7

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Re: MSN messenger does not work in Linux Mint 7

Post by rivenathos »

Welcome to the forum!

Every so often I see posts in different forums in regards to MSN (Microsoft Network?). I have never used MSN, but I have heard that the "emesene" messenger application is reported to work with MSN when others may not. You can get emesene from mintInstall or Synaptic.
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3

sebmck
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sebmck »

rivenathos wrote:Welcome to the forum!

Every so often I see posts in different forums in regards to MSN (Microsoft Network?). I have never used MSN, but I have heard that the "emesene" messenger application is reported to work with MSN when others may not. You can get emesene from mintInstall or Synaptic.
Yes Emense is great for using the MSN protocoll. I would highly recommend it over Pidgin.

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

There is an updated version of Pidgin here that might help.

removed/search.php?keywords=pidgin

Make sure to remove the old packages before installing the new ones. There are a couple of packages you will have to put back after installing the new version too. I do not use MSN but I think the change log for the new version of Pidgin mentions MSN, I don't remember for certain.

Nicki
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Nicki »

Why not just install aMSN? It works and looks similar as Messenger in Windows.

kei84
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kei84 »

Are you using a firewall? It might me be interfering. If you are, try disabling it.

Return to “Newbie Questions”