Retrieve Overwritten tar data

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
dunome
Level 1
Level 1

Retrieve Overwritten tar data

Post by dunome »

Hello,

I accidentally overwrote a tar archive, so I wanted to know if it is possible to restore the older one ?

Thanks
thx-1138
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Retrieve Overwritten tar data

Post by thx-1138 »

...if you're lucky enough... https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
Try not doing any further write operations as well (the more you do, the more chances that the actual data on disk will be overwritten & lost forever...)
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Retrieve Overwritten tar data

Post by BG405 »

I'd strongly recommend, in cases such as this, that the machine is shut down and rebooted into a Live session via USB or DVD. Then, install TestDisk in the Live session.

The longer a machine is left running from the installed system, the lesser the chances of recovering the file(s) intact, in some cases even if you're not actively saving or changing files. Browsers and other programs also write stuff to the disk.

I'm sorry I didn't reply to this earlier. :(
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 8GB - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE ...

Return to “Newbie Questions”